S4 battery life draining, google maps always running

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I've bought the Samsung Galaxy s4 2 days ago and have noticed my battery life draining.
Last night when I went to sleep it was on 98% and when I woke up it was on 48%. I had all apps closed during that time, my gps turned off, the only widgets I use are weather/alarm clock.
When I come to look at my battery usage, the most it has lasted was 14 hours with 50% gone to google maps which I have never used. Literally, never opened google maps and all location settings are switched off.

Why is my google maps always running? I'd like to swtich it off or even uninstall it??

Please Help! Thank you!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
First, the battery needs several cycles of charge and discharge before it settles.

Now Google maps is probably running rogue or Google Now is active.

During the night I normally set the airplane mode on, and only 1-2% is drained.

My phone isn't rooted, my carrier is Sprint, I disabled all but one of Sprint's apps.
All the Samsung features are on except S-voice. Google Now is off, I really don't have much use for it.

Have you disable some or all the features and apps that you have no need for?

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I dont have many apps downloaded yet, just the normal social media apps ( facebook, twitter etc ) and they are not running most of the time.

Here's a pic of my battery life, which shows google maps draining it for no reason :S

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-19-15-07-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-19-15-07-41.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 58

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I dont have many apps downloaded yet, just the normal social media apps ( facebook, twitter etc ) and they are not running most of the time.

Here's a pic of my battery life, which shows google maps draining it for no reason :S

thanks

Check if you have latitude installed if so uninstall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

thanks

Would you by any chance be able to show us your Maps settings and location access settings?

JamesBramble

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings > More > Location services and turn off "Access to my location"

This will help you out and you shouldn't see Google Maps in your Battery usage

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings > More > Location services and turn off "Access to my location"

This will help you out and you shouldn't see Google Maps in your Battery usage

Still, maps shouldn't drain that much with that setting turned on.
I have it on all the time and it doesn't drain my battery as much as her phone does.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Attachments

• 1376934566582.jpg
    1376934566582.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1376934634359.jpg
    1376934634359.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 43

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
When I first got my S4 Maps took up a ton of battery, too. I think there have been updates to several Google apps that changed it so apps using location services are now counted under "Google Services" rather than Maps. You can try uninstalling updates to Maps and then reinstalling them to see if that helps.

Also, while it's a good way to see how much battery stuff that runs while your phone is idle uses, there isn't really an advantage to not charging your battery while you sleep. If the only problem is that the battery is being used while you sleep then just plug it in instead.

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Would you by any chance be able to show us your Maps settings and location access settings?

Thank you all for trying to help. I have all location settings switched off as shown in the pics below. However, maps is still running on my application manager and on my battery status. It is still the highest percentage on the battery status, now giving me 42% and my screen 12%.

It's really frustrating, as Im also only using the phone on wifi now ( bought it 2 days ago), still haven't got a data plan and the battery is acting up. Please help :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-21-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-21-21.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-17-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-17-51.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-18-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-19-23-18-43.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 37

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for trying to help. I have all location settings switched off as shown in the pics below. However, maps is still running on my application manager and on my battery status. It is still the highest percentage on the battery status, now giving me 42% and my screen 12%.

It's really frustrating, as Im also only using the phone on wifi now ( bought it 2 days ago), still haven't got a data plan and the battery is acting up. Please help :)

Yeah that's a lot for it to not be used. Maps takes up none of battery when I'm not using. In your sync settings, what google services do you have set to sync? Try force closing, clearing cache and rebooting phone. Install wakelock detector to identify exact processes that are running.

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's a lot for it to not be used. Maps takes up none of battery when I'm not using. In your sync settings, what google services do you have set to sync? Try force closing, clearing cache and rebooting phone. Install wakelock detector to identify exact processes that are running.

In my syn settings I have Sync calendar, contacts, bookmarks, internet open pages and memo. Is there anything else or somewhere else I should check?

Thanks a lot! I will download wakelock.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
In my syn settings I have Sync calendar, contacts, bookmarks, internet open pages and memo. Is there anything else or somewhere else I should check?

Thanks a lot! I will download wakelock.

It seems like you have everything covered so not really sure without actually holding the device myself LOL. Can you also check to see if there are any updates for it in the play store? There was an update 2 days ago. Haven't you downloaded? After you force close it, if it opens back up then something is triggering it. Lastly, you can uninstall and reinstall and start from scratch with it.

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems like you have everything covered so not really sure without actually holding the device myself LOL. Can you also check to see if there are any updates for it in the play store? There was an update 2 days ago. Haven't you downloaded? After you force close it, if it opens back up then something is triggering it. Lastly, you can uninstall and reinstall and start from scratch with it.

There is an update for maps, should I update it? Or should I uninstall?

I don't mind completely uninstalling maps as I won't be using it much. How can I uninstall it?

Thanks again!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You can disable it but I'm not sure you can uninstall it. I'd definitely do the update. I'd be surprised if you saw Maps use that much battery after you got the latest version. I believe it's something they fixed a month or two ago.

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
You can disable it but I'm not sure you can uninstall it. I'd definitely do the update. I'd be surprised if you saw Maps use that much battery after you got the latest version. I believe it's something they fixed a month or two ago.

Disabling as in force stop? I will do the update too! :)

rita_alac

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

U saved my life haha I updated it and its no longer on my battery usage!! Thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463