Is there something wrong with my battery?

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for almost 2 months now and I've always felt the battery was poor but that's expected with these kinda phones. It was only yesterday that I paid attention to the details. You tell me if this is how it's suppose to be or if something's up.

- Phone is on power saving mode the whole time
- 9:30 a.m. Charged my phone to 100%
- 11.00 a.m. Went offline, silent mode and didn't touch the phone till 9:15 p.m.
- 9:15 p.m. Battery is at 92%
- 9:30 p.m. I go online.
- 9:30 p.m. till 8:30 a.m. I used the phone under 1 and half hours (few texts, draw something for about 45 minutes or so and checking some stuff online).
- 8:30 a.m. Battery is at 26%

Is it suppose to be like this? What kinda crap is this?! I hardly used the phone at it's practically drained while on power saving mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Something seems to be draining overnight. Try installing a battery monitor like GSAM to get better info on what's using the battery. Also consider Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you if some app is disproportionately waking the device up to do random stuff (usually to access the web).

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Something seems to be draining overnight. Try installing a battery monitor like GSAM to get better info on what's using the battery. Also consider Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you if some app is disproportionately waking the device up to do random stuff (usually to access the web).

Try battery doctor, specially if you are rooted.

Will try these and report back. Thanks.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by "offline?"

Do you mean that you totally disconnected from all internet sources (WiFi, 4G, etc) and your battery only went down 8% in 9.5 hours but then went down 66% in 12 hours with an hour and a half of screen time and an internet source?

The first interesting thing to see would be to see how much battery your screen is taking in that time. If it's set real bright then it could be the main source of the drain.

Also, do you have Google Now and all location services enabled? If you have Google Now running and allow Google apps to access your location your battery will drain the way you're describing.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by "offline?"

Do you mean that you totally disconnected from all internet sources (WiFi, 4G, etc) and your battery only went down 8% in 9.5 hours but then went down 66% in 12 hours with an hour and a half of screen time and an internet source?

The first interesting thing to see would be to see how much battery your screen is taking in that time. If it's set real bright then it could be the main source of the drain.

Also, do you have Google Now and all location services enabled? If you have Google Now running and allow Google apps to access your location your battery will drain the way you're describing.

Yes, offline as in disconnected from everything. It's not set bright i think it's at 20% or 30% brightness, I'm on power saving mode.

I do have Google Now, I think that uses some of the battery because Google services seems to be eating a bit of the battery as well. Not sure how to disable all of it though.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
you should try going into the apps you use and adjust their individual settings. SOunds like you have an auto-update or auto-sync enabled. The GSAM battery monitor should show you the app responsible.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Okay so I tried GSAM. After I posted this, I didn't use the phone (fully charged, power saving, silent mode). 11 hours later, battery is at 56%. Battery information under settings say Google services ate up most of the battery.

GSAM says - Screen - 12.9% / 17 minutes
Phone Radio - 13.5% / 11 hours?!
Held Awake - 3.1% / 6 hours?!
App Usage - 68%

First of all is the screen suppose to eat that much battery? and Phone Radio?! what the hell is that? I also don't know what the hell is Held Awake (phone being on?). Under Apps Usage, The OS, Nova and Google services used up the most of the battery, while Facebook, Instagram, Chaton, etc. used 0.1% which I know is not much but why is it being used, I haven't even used ChatOn since I got the phone.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
you should try going into the apps you use and adjust their individual settings. SOunds like you have an auto-update or auto-sync enabled. The GSAM battery monitor should show you the app responsible.

How do I do this? auto-update is already turned off for a long time but auto-sync I'm not sure. There's a sync tab in the notification bar which I've already off a few days ago.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I do have Google Now, I think that uses some of the battery because Google services seems to be eating a bit of the battery as well. Not sure how to disable all of it though.
The easiest way is to go into Maps>Settings>Google location settings and disable "Access location." That will stop all Google apps, including Maps from getting your location. It will not prevent other apps from getting it, though. I found that with all Now cards enabled and with Access location checked my phone checked my location about once every 42 seconds. With it off it's several minutes between checks unless I have some other feature that uses location a lot turned on. If that stuff is enabled this should make a fairly large difference.

It's normal for the screen to use a lot of battery, even if it's set low.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I tried GSAM. After I posted this, I didn't use the phone (fully charged, power saving, silent mode). 11 hours later, battery is at 56%. Battery information under settings say Google services ate up most of the battery.

GSAM says - Screen - 12.9% / 17 minutes
Phone Radio - 13.5% / 11 hours?!
Held Awake - 3.1% / 6 hours?!
App Usage - 68%

First of all is the screen suppose to eat that much battery? and Phone Radio?! what the hell is that? I also don't know what the hell is Held Awake (phone being on?). Under Apps Usage, The OS, Nova and Google services used up the most of the battery, while Facebook, Instagram, Chaton, etc. used 0.1% which I know is not much but why is it being used, I haven't even used ChatOn since I got the phone.
So when you select the App usage, what programs eat up the most? Can you take a screenshot of the GSAM screenshots?

Here's what mine looks like. When I had a rogue app (firefox) it was like 50% of the battery.

fuc9.png

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
The easiest way is to go into Maps>Settings>Google location settings and disable "Access location." That will stop all Google apps, including Maps from getting your location. It will not prevent other apps from getting it, though. I found that with all Now cards enabled and with Access location checked my phone checked my location about once every 42 seconds. With it off it's several minutes between checks unless I have some other feature that uses location a lot turned on. If that stuff is enabled this should make a fairly large difference.

It's normal for the screen to use a lot of battery, even if it's set low.

I haven't even accepted Maps' terms and conditions which means it hasn't been running this whole time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you actually playing Draw 2 Free that much? If not, it might be doing stuff in the background that's using battery.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you actually playing Draw 2 Free that much? If not, it might be doing stuff in the background that's using battery.

Honestly no, I was just playing a bit before I posted the sceenshots, maybe around 15 minutes or so.

What do you mean things in the background? How do I identify them? Could it be a virus or something?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the game used 33% of the 71% that's been used, that means it was responsible for about 22% battery drain, which seems a little excessive for only playing for 15 min. It could be remaining open in the background, possibly accessing the web (which would make sense, since you're probably playing against friends, and it might be checking constantly to see if your friends have made a move). Force closing it might not work, since apps can auto restart in Android. I suggest temporarily uninstalling the game, then see what the battery drain is like.

Posted via Android Central App

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
If the game used 33% of the 71% that's been used, that means it was responsible for about 22% battery drain, which seems a little excessive for only playing for 15 min. It could be remaining open in the background, possibly accessing the web (which would make sense, since you're probably playing against friends, and it might be checking constantly to see if your friends have made a move). Force closing it might not work, since apps can auto restart in Android. I suggest temporarily uninstalling the game, then see what the battery drain is like.

Posted via Android Central App

Sounds good. Will give it a go and report back. Thanks.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Alright, so I uninstalled the game, charged it to full, turned off power saving and didn't use the phone. 12 hours later it's at 50%. Is that considered okay?

Most of the battery is consumed by Google Services. What is that? and is there any way to disable it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool