08-24-2013 08:08 PM
51 123
tools
    Question: This is sort of annoying to me, but I don't put pictures of people in my contacts. Is there anyway to remove that option from my text messages? Those little faces get annoying and I don't want them there at all.

Thank you!
    08-22-2013 03:22 PM
    Honestly HTC One is better. The screen is much better quality (best on the market) and it has beats audio/boomsound speakers. The battery isn't removable and you can't add more memory (32GB is a lot though) but if I choose android over blackberry I'm getting the HTC one hands down.
    08-23-2013 04:04 AM
    I haven't tried the One, and came to the S4 from Blackberry, and to Android tablets from iPad. I love Android as an operating system so much more than either Blackberry or iOS, as you can really make it do what you want with almost no restrictions. The S4 is fantastic, and I really only have two complaints about the phone. First, in bright direct sunlight, the screen is simply too dim, even on the brightest setting. Second, I hate the mechanical home key, and I hate having to long-press it to get the running task menu to appear. The softkeys of standard Android are much better.
    08-23-2013 05:58 AM
    i would pick the S4 over the HTC One. but i would pick the Nexus 4 over both!
    08-23-2013 07:57 AM
    They are plenty of that comparison posted. Both are good phones, I started with One, returned it for S4. I like S4 much better, but that is just me. Will I switch back to One if I have choice? No.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-23-2013 09:45 AM
    -I'm having an issue on the lock screen when I go to unlock it, it makes a very random box outline and I have no idea why. I need to lock the screen again and then unlock it again for it to go away so I can use my phone.
    -The text message preview on the lock screen is extremely annoying. I have it on private so no one can read it, but I would like to get rid of it completely. I read online that there is no way to remove this.
    The first issue sounds like you're interacting with a widget on the lock screen. I'm not sure how you have your lock screen configured but you may want to try swiping lower (on the bottom half of the screen) or further away from the edge (which can flip to the next screen for widgets, or the camera). If you play around with the lock screen settings this may make a big more sensor.

There are definitely ways to get rid of the text preview. If it really ticks you off you can download an entire lock screen replacement (like WidgetLocker) where you can control whatever goes on there.
    08-23-2013 03:10 PM
    i would pick the S4 over the HTC One. but i would pick the Nexus 4 over both!
    Having come from the Nexus 4 stock Android isn't for everyone (especially coming from iOS). I strongly prefer my S4.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    08-23-2013 03:12 PM
    Having come from the Nexus 4 stock Android isn't for everyone (especially coming from iOS). I strongly prefer my S4.
    I was an iPhone user for years and my first exposure to android was on a nexus 7. While I am liking my s4, I prefer the stock android on the nexus 7 by far. I found it an easier transition from iOS then all the bloat that comes on the s4. After spending a few weeks with the s4, my ideal choice if I could have bought a phone outright would have been the google play version of the s4.
    08-23-2013 03:33 PM
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have an ip5 and have been iOS for 5 years. I am bored and considering the one or s4. I have moved my music to spotify, so my iTunes addiction is settled. Is it just iMessage that I will miss the most? There are good apps to track my kids iPhones, from an android I believe. Anything else from those that came from iOS?
    I think I'm leaning to the htc one (not worried about sd) over s4, if I'm waiting until September...won't there be a new android that will best these two models (lg g2?)
    08-23-2013 04:01 PM
    96GB in my Verizon S4 (32+64). Very happy about that. I can carry a crap ton of music and movies and I don't have to worry about running out of space for 13MP photos and recorded HD video.

The S4's battery life has been equivalent to my iPhone 5 so far. And while I don't need extra juice on regular work days and days at home, when I'm on business travel I used to put a fat Mophie juice pack on my iPhone. Now I can just carry a little second battery without bulking up the phone to three times its normal thickness. Hate that more than carrying a second battery.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 8.0 via Android Central App
    08-23-2013 05:11 PM
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have an ip5 and have been iOS for 5 years. I am bored and considering the one or s4. I have moved my music to spotify, so my iTunes addiction is settled. Is it just iMessage that I will miss the most? There are good apps to track my kids iPhones, from an android I believe. Anything else from those that came from iOS?
    I think I'm leaning to the htc one (not worried about sd) over s4, if I'm waiting until September...won't there be a new android that will best these two models (lg g2?)
    This would likely depend on what apps you use. I had no problems finding Android versions or equivalents for all apps I use. I do miss iMessage a bit, but a huge % of the people I am in touch with frequently have switched over to various Android phones at this point, so it's not really as much of a factor. When everyone used iPhones, I liked have iMessage on my computer as well as my phone, but now it's just not a factor.

As far as something better, there's ALWAYS going to be something better around the corner lol. I am very confident my S4 will do me through a 2 years contract. I had my iPhone 4 for 3 years.
    08-23-2013 05:35 PM
    Run your battery down to nothing and charge it. The charge will last even longer. The S4 is power in your pocket!

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!
    08-23-2013 06:01 PM
    96GB in my Verizon S4 (32+64). Very happy about that. I can carry a crap ton of music and movies and I don't have to worry about running out of space for 13MP photos and recorded HD video.

The S4's battery life has been equivalent to my iPhone 5 so far. And while I don't need extra juice on regular work days and days at home, when I'm on business travel I used to put a fat Mophie juice pack on my iPhone. Now I can just carry a little second battery without bulking up the phone to three times its normal thickness. Hate that more than carrying a second battery.

This. I also have 96GB in my AT&T S4 (64GB Sandisk Extreme) and 48GB in this Note 8. Its a great combo.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    08-23-2013 06:17 PM
    This. I also have 96GB in my AT&T S4 (64GB Sandisk Extreme) and 48GB in this Note 8. Its a great combo.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    Yup. 80GB on my Note 8.0.

08-23-2013 07:39 PM
    -Samsung makes GREAT running phones, but they seriously need to move on from this plastic they use on all of the phone's they make. I feel like this phone will break very easily from one fall. I'm going to pick up an otterbox for it sometime soon.
    I can attest to this, my 33 day old phone fell from my knee height onto a carpeted floor and the display cracked and the digitizer and screen are broken. This is an extremely fragile phone. When I took it back to T-Mobile the sales person said they are getting tons of these things returned with the same problem. If you're even a little clumsy as I am, I would recommend you avoid this phone.
    08-23-2013 08:02 PM
    No one will give you that answer but yourself. I've played with both devices and I still love my GS4. There IS a lag sometimes in the interface (and anyone that tries to deny it is outright lying), so the One does feel snappier when handling the UI, but I still prefer the screen, the features, the 'feel' of the S4 over the One. However, THAT'S JUST ME. Maybe you'll value the unibody design over plastic or you won't mind the lack of SD card in the One. Or maybe you'll miss the AirView or Camera features of the S4 if you go with HTC's phone. Personally, I prefer the S4's camera over the One's, UltraPixel crap and all.

My advice? Don't overthink it if you already made a purchase. If you still want to scratch the itch, better go to a TMo store and ask to play with both of the phones and then decide.

BTW, I've been an Android user for many years now (since Moto's OG Droid), and I recently bought an iPad... Boy, do I get frustrated from the restrictive system that is iOS. You'll definitely love the great sharing options and how well you can tailor the phone to your liking and how much better multitasking works (like actually being able to EXIT apps).
    Umm you can properly exit an app in iOS by toupee pressing home button holding onto icon then pressing the delete button.
    08-23-2013 08:04 PM
    I can't speak for the One as I've not personally handled it, but the GS4 is a sweet phone. My wife has one, and it has me re-thinking my insistance on a physical QWERTY keyboard. I have also seen plenty of review sites out there that I trust putting the Samsung in first place of all phones currently on the market, though the HTC is usually second and the iPhone 5 third (a few sites do flip the Samsung and the HTC, though).

In the end, I think it's not unlike asking which is better, Honda or Toyota, Coke or Pepsi, Canon or Nikon, Visa or Mastercard. All of these companies make fine products, it really comes down to personal preference.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (T-Mobile)
    08-23-2013 08:23 PM
    I can attest to this, my 33 day old phone fell from my knee height onto a carpeted floor and the display cracked and the digitizer and screen are broken. This is an extremely fragile phone. When I took it back to T-Mobile the sales person said they are getting tons of these things returned with the same problem. If you're even a little clumsy as I am, I would recommend you avoid this phone.
    Wow. I do keep all my phones in a case but I didn't realize the S4 was so fragile. I keep my S4 in an Otterbox Defender and I dropped it from chest height (I'm 5'6") onto asphalt and not a mark on the Defender or phone. Otterbox has a satisfied customer in me (can't wait to get the Defender for this Note 8.0).

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    08-23-2013 08:26 PM
    I tried the atrix and the nexus 4. Both phones chased me back to my iPhone. But so far I am very happy with the gs4. And I think its touchwiz. Maybe I am the only one but I don't like stock android.

But I still have my iPad mini for ios apps. That helps alleviate some of the frustration of android's flaky nature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    neiljay6 likes this.
    08-23-2013 08:28 PM
    You're not the only one. I don't care for stock Android either. I really like Go Launcher Prime and that's what my S4 and Note 8.0 munch on.

Sent from my humble S4
    neiljay6 likes this.
    08-23-2013 08:49 PM
    I'm not a huge fan of stock android either. I like all the stupid gimmicky features Samsung packs into their phones. When I first got my s3, I didn't expect to use any of them. But every phone I've had since then that wasn't Samsung, I've missed them! I had the One and it was an amazing phone, it just wasn't the s4. I traded it for the s4 and I am happy with my phone
    neiljay6 likes this.
    08-23-2013 09:22 PM
    I don't use any of the touch or air features. But I like the toggle shades and settings menus. And the whole ui just seems snappier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-24-2013 05:43 PM
    I'm wondering about this. Before this phone I had the original note, I've dropped it a fair few times and it never broke or got any marks on it.
    08-24-2013 06:18 PM
    I'm not a huge fan of stock android either. I like all the stupid gimmicky features Samsung packs into their phones. When I first got my s3, I didn't expect to use any of them. But every phone I've had since then that wasn't Samsung, I've missed them! I had the One and it was an amazing phone, it just wasn't the s4. I traded it for the s4 and I am happy with my phone
    I had a nexus 7 for a bit last year and didn't get on with the stock too well. I found it a bit too plain. I know a lot of people don't like touchwiz but I quite like it. After using Samsung devices for a year and a half I've gotten used to the skin and all the guestures etc. However I tend to stick to one brand of phone for a long time. I started properly with mobile phones in 2002 and have mainly stuck with 3 brands Sony Ericsson, then Apple and now Samsung.
    jaleesag88 likes this.
    08-24-2013 06:21 PM
    I've grown partial to Samsung devices over the past 2 years, which was quite a turnaround for me.

Sent from my humble S4
    08-24-2013 06:50 PM
51 123