AT&T Simultaneous voice and data vs. HTC One

Bob Heathcote

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi team, I am having no luck at all using the HTC One for simultaneous voice calls and data service in downtown San Jose where I have had speedtest results of 47Mbps down and 23 Mbps upload when not on a call and I was wondering if it anyone here knows whether the Galaxy S4 handles this better? My speedtest resutls while on a call is 0.8Mbps upload and a solid 0kpbs upload.

I've read comments that AT&T has to switch to HSPA+ for data while on a voice call but have not had this confirmed by the carrier or any handset manufacturer.

If this is covered in a sticky post or FAQ somewhere please let me know.

Thank you,
-Bob

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi team, I am having no luck at all using the HTC One for simultaneous voice calls and data service in downtown San Jose where I have had speedtest results of 47Mbps down and 23 Mbps upload when not on a call and I was wondering if it anyone here knows whether the Galaxy S4 handles this better? My speedtest resutls while on a call is 0.8Mbps upload and a solid 0kpbs upload.

I've read comments that AT&T has to switch to HSPA+ for data while on a voice call but have not had this confirmed by the carrier or any handset manufacturer.

If this is covered in a sticky post or FAQ somewhere please let me know.

Thank you,
-Bob

AT&T LTE smartphones all handle this the same way. While on a call you will automatically be switched to HSPA+ for data. If HSPA+ is historically poor in your area, then yes you'll see poor data speeds. I wouldn't think that another phone would do better, since this part is handled the same across the board, but some phones do have better radios than others and might get better reception.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
AT&T LTE smartphones all handle this the same way. While on a call you will automatically be switched to HSPA+ for data. If HSPA+ is historically poor in your area, then yes you'll see poor data speeds. I wouldn't think that another phone would do better, since this part is handled the same across the board, but some phones do have better radios than others and might get better reception.

Actually, my ole' htc one/galaxy s3/galaxy note 2(all on at&t) all got poor hspa+ speeds while on a call. Off a call hspa+ was rocking, got a steady 4-8mbps but while on a call i got less then 1. :thumbdown::confused:

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually, my ole' htc one/galaxy s3/galaxy note 2(all on at&t) all got poor hspa+ speeds while on a call. Off a call hspa+ was rocking, got a steady 4-8mbps but while on a call i got less then 1. :thumbdown::confused:

Hmm...I don't make many calls. Next time I do I'm gonna run a speedtest or two.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed how it drops to hspa+ when on a call, but I have never speed tested either. I'll give it a test tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

Cmjkxa

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not an HTC one issue. It's any smartphone on at&t. Even though they claim to have talk and surf they throttled data on a call to edge speeds even though you're technically connected to Hspa+. And if you're wondering, even on iphones. I had this issue since the iPhone 4s and with every phone ever since and have moved between three states. I've brought this up on xda a few times but nothing has changed really. I have no idea how they still advertise this.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This. Once on a call you will be dropped to HSPA for the duration.

We're in San Jose mate internet speeds are great in the eastside

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

He was talking about his speeds during a call.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not an HTC one issue. It's any smartphone on at&t. Even though they claim to have talk and surf they throttled data on a call to edge speeds even though you're technically connected to Hspa+. And if you're wondering, even on iphones. I had this issue since the iPhone 4s and with every phone ever since and have moved between three states. I've brought this up on xda a few times but nothing has changed really. I have no idea how they still advertise this.

Posted via Android Central App

Oh wow I didn't know it throttled you to edge while on the call... That's horrible. Why would they do that? T-Mobile throw me off LTE and to HSPA when I make a call but I don't believe I am throttled.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just checked for T-mobile.. No throttle.

First screenshot is on a call HSPA test and the other is a screenshot off a call HSPA test.

Attachments

• 1377177164195.jpg
    1377177164195.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 15
  • 1377177170828.jpg
    1377177170828.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 15

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's always very disappointingly slow while on a call...sure it works, but it's extremely throttled.

I just tested it out again.

Before call, on LTE: 28.06Mbps down/17.25Mbps UP with 96ms ping.
Before call, on H+: 10.87Mbps down/1.09Mbps UP with 83ms ping.
Before call, on EDGE: 0.20Mbps down/0.11Mbps UP with 493ms ping.
During call: 0.68Mbps down/0.03Mbps UP with 284 ping
During call 2: 0.76Mbps down/0.03Mbps UP with 286 ping

Also, when tested during the call, it errored out a few times saying no data connection...that's how slow the upload was.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's always very disappointingly slow while on a call...sure it works, but it's extremely throttled.

Also, when tested during the call, it errored out a few times saying no data connection...that's how slow the upload was.

I had the error message too whenever i did try it out. Was expecting to use Voice & data a lot when i was with at&t but it didn't work so hot so i didn't really use it that much lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Man that almost seems like they shouldn't be allowed to do that. They brag about voice and data same time but they throttle the data to useless speeds.

Glad I left them.. I had them back before they started capd plans and left after being throttled on unlimited. Seems like AT&T just loves to throttle anyway they can now.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The download isn't totally horrible...100KB/s is decent enough to accomplish most tasks...but the 0.03Mbps upload is horrendous. If you notice it's slow while on the phone, it's because of the upload, not the download (for the most part).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The download isn't totally horrible...100KB/s is decent enough to accomplish most tasks...but the 0.03Mbps upload is horrendous. If you notice it's slow while on the phone, it's because of the upload, not the download (for the most part).

It isn't horrible but why do it all when you advertise it? Such as I got 6 Mbit down.. Sure some less since the call was in use but still awesome speeds for HSPA with a call.

Just stupid for them to do after bragging so hard about it in my opinion.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
It isn't horrible but why do it all when you advertise it? Such as I got 6 Mbit down.. Sure some less since the call was in use but still awesome speeds for HSPA with a call.

Just stupid for them to do after bragging so hard about it in my opinion.

This ^^ I don't understand why they can't implement Lte&Voice like Sprint or Verizon. :p

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else willing to do some speed tests before and during a call? Remember to test on H+ before to compare to the H+ you'll have during a call...and remember to turn off wifi.

Thanks!