New S4 User - Case and Accessory?

Luke Bordonaro

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I currently have Verizon and am upgrading my phone next week. I *think* I'm getting the S4. However I cannot decide between that and the HTC One. I flipped a coin and got the S4, after about a month of pondering.

Anyway, anything I should know about the S4? I'm coming from a 2 year iPhone 4 user, by the way. I'm a little sad I'll lose all my paid apps, and especially my save on like Happy Street (sad, I know).

My other question is, what should I buy with it? I can't decide, first of all, between paying an extra 50 dollars for the 32GB version. I'm thinking if I get that, I'll not need an SD card, because I can fit all my music on that with plenty of room. My collection is around 9GB. Would this be a better idea than buying a separate SD card for music? I'm not sure. Also, I don't know what case to get. I want a case that will protect it from a fall, but still keep it thin and minimalistic. Is the OtterBox commuter case good for these things? Or should I not worry about fall damage and just get a flip cover?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Luke Bordonaro

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, okay. I think you're right. I could buy a 32GB sd card later if I really need it.
Thank you for your input with that case. I'm not a giant fan of the style, though I do like the stand it has going. I don't think I'll use a holster though, I never liked/needed them.

My other question is: is there anything similar to the iHome for the S4? Not just a dock, but like an alarm clock dock. Or should I just get a dock and use the default alarm clock app?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone! Oh...a 32GB Sandisk Ultra (or Extreme) isn't too expensive, go for it. Gotta love Otterbox. Have you considered an a Defender? Its a case you can put your phone in and really have piece-of-mind.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Luke Bordonaro

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't actually get it yet, next week :). Yeah, I know they're not that expensive, but they're really only cheap online. Sorta wanted to get it in stores. I did consider the defender, but I think it's too bulky and would take away from the slimness of the S4.

Do you know about any docks?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes Best Buy has a good price on the SD cards. I haven't checked out any docks yet but I do need to get a good one for my car.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I say save the $50 and get the 16GB version and use that to get a case and screen protector. Besides, SD cards are so cheap you can get a 32GB for $25 if you look around, I actually just grabbed a 64GB Sandisk Ultra from BB with a price match from Amazon for $50 so I'm good on storage :)

skidoo

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Spigen Neo Hybrid. That's the case I use the most.

Slim, minimalistic, interchangeable bumpers (different colors), good cutouts, excellent button extenders, makes the phone feel great in the hand.

Plus, the case probably protects the phone at least a little.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Spigen Neo Hybrid. That's the case I use the most.

Slim, minimalistic, interchangeable bumpers (different colors), good cutouts, excellent button extenders, makes the phone feel great in the hand.

Plus, the case probably protects the phone at least a little.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I just ordered a Spigen slim armor, can't wait to get it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

pujdo

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Check dealextreme.com, whatever I've bought has a good quality and free/fast delivery

Poslano sa mog GT-I9505 koristeći Tapatalk 4

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I would get the 32GB one that's what I did, nothing like the speed of internal memory, plus down the road you wouldn't have to move things around if you get tight on space, apps run much faster on the internal memory and when you go to sell it it will have a higher resale value. Not to mention if you need more space later on, you could add a 64GB sd card giving you a total of 96GB, which is awesome.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would get the 32GB one that's what I did, nothing like the speed of internal memory, plus down the road you wouldn't have to move things around if you get tight on space, apps run much faster on the internal memory and when you go to sell it it will have a higher resale value. Not to mention if you need more space later on, you could add a 64GB sd card giving you a total of 96GB, which is awesome.

If you get the Sandisk Extreme micro SD you're not really even sacrificing speed with the external storage. I got the 64GB flavor and it is quite noticably faster than the sandisk Ultra when browsing photos from it and launching apps from it. The 96GB of storage I have now may be just a little overkill TBH, though.

Sent from my humble S4

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
If you get the Sandisk Extreme micro SD you're not really even sacrificing speed with the external storage. I got the 64GB flavor and it is quite noticably faster than the sandisk Ultra when browsing photos from it and launching apps from it. The 96GB of storage I have now may be just a little overkill TBH, though.

Sent from my humble S4
Yea I've had my eye on one of those Extreme 64GB, currently @ $99 waiting to see if they drop a little more.

Luke Bordonaro

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I sort of wanted to be able to get it at Best Buy the same day I get my phone :(.

Also I went ahead and ordered a 32GB Ultra off Amazon. It'll get here when I get my phone :).

Luke Bordonaro

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So I have to wait another week because my aunt doesn't get paid until Friday and the bill is slightly overdue. Verizon won't let me upgrade until it's paid

#FML

also mfw i've already waited 4 months and this **** keeps happening