08-30-2013 12:57 PM
36 12
tools
    Hi there. I currently have Verizon and am upgrading my phone next week. I *think* I'm getting the S4. However I cannot decide between that and the HTC One. I flipped a coin and got the S4, after about a month of pondering.

Anyway, anything I should know about the S4? I'm coming from a 2 year iPhone 4 user, by the way. I'm a little sad I'll lose all my paid apps, and especially my save on like Happy Street (sad, I know).

My other question is, what should I buy with it? I can't decide, first of all, between paying an extra 50 dollars for the 32GB version. I'm thinking if I get that, I'll not need an SD card, because I can fit all my music on that with plenty of room. My collection is around 9GB. Would this be a better idea than buying a separate SD card for music? I'm not sure. Also, I don't know what case to get. I want a case that will protect it from a fall, but still keep it thin and minimalistic. Is the OtterBox commuter case good for these things? Or should I not worry about fall damage and just get a flip cover?
    08-23-2013 02:48 PM
    I think you will love your S4 like I love mine. I would probably opt to save the 50 bucks and just get an SD card if and when needed, they are so cheap these days. As for the case the Otterbox communter is a good one, but you might also consider the Amazer Shell Case, holster case combo. It's what I use.

Amazon.com: Amzer AMZ95777 Shellster Shell Case and Holster Combo with Kickstand for Samsung Galaxy S4 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    fkpalm likes this.
    08-23-2013 03:03 PM
    Hmm, okay. I think you're right. I could buy a 32GB sd card later if I really need it.
    Thank you for your input with that case. I'm not a giant fan of the style, though I do like the stand it has going. I don't think I'll use a holster though, I never liked/needed them.

My other question is: is there anything similar to the iHome for the S4? Not just a dock, but like an alarm clock dock. Or should I just get a dock and use the default alarm clock app?
    08-23-2013 03:10 PM
    Bump. Does anyone else have an opinion on this, or know of a good alarm clock dock?
    08-23-2013 05:08 PM
    Congrats on your new phone! Oh...a 32GB Sandisk Ultra (or Extreme) isn't too expensive, go for it. Gotta love Otterbox. Have you considered an a Defender? Its a case you can put your phone in and really have piece-of-mind.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    08-23-2013 06:38 PM
    I didn't actually get it yet, next week . Yeah, I know they're not that expensive, but they're really only cheap online. Sorta wanted to get it in stores. I did consider the defender, but I think it's too bulky and would take away from the slimness of the S4.

Do you know about any docks?
    08-23-2013 06:49 PM
    Sometimes Best Buy has a good price on the SD cards. I haven't checked out any docks yet but I do need to get a good one for my car.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    08-23-2013 07:07 PM
    I say save the $50 and get the 16GB version and use that to get a case and screen protector. Besides, SD cards are so cheap you can get a 32GB for $25 if you look around, I actually just grabbed a 64GB Sandisk Ultra from BB with a price match from Amazon for $50 so I'm good on storage
    08-24-2013 04:06 PM
    Yeah, I didnt realize they're as cheap as they've gotten. Awesome.

Sent from my humble S4
    08-24-2013 04:26 PM
    Spigen Neo Hybrid. That's the case I use the most.

Slim, minimalistic, interchangeable bumpers (different colors), good cutouts, excellent button extenders, makes the phone feel great in the hand.

Plus, the case probably protects the phone at least a little.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    08-24-2013 04:42 PM
    Spigen Neo Hybrid. That's the case I use the most.

Slim, minimalistic, interchangeable bumpers (different colors), good cutouts, excellent button extenders, makes the phone feel great in the hand.

Plus, the case probably protects the phone at least a little.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    I just ordered a Spigen slim armor, can't wait to get it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-24-2013 08:23 PM
    I have the Slim Armor case too and love it. I got it from Amazon, from their Spigen store. Great case!
    08-25-2013 02:23 AM
    Check out the spigen slim armour view case, it's what I have and it's awesome!

Posted via Android Central App
    08-25-2013 02:26 AM
    Check dealextreme.com, whatever I've bought has a good quality and free/fast delivery

Poslano sa mog GT-I9505 koristeći Tapatalk 4
    08-25-2013 11:42 AM
    I would get the 32GB one that's what I did, nothing like the speed of internal memory, plus down the road you wouldn't have to move things around if you get tight on space, apps run much faster on the internal memory and when you go to sell it it will have a higher resale value. Not to mention if you need more space later on, you could add a 64GB sd card giving you a total of 96GB, which is awesome.
    08-25-2013 11:52 AM
    I would get the 32GB one that's what I did, nothing like the speed of internal memory, plus down the road you wouldn't have to move things around if you get tight on space, apps run much faster on the internal memory and when you go to sell it it will have a higher resale value. Not to mention if you need more space later on, you could add a 64GB sd card giving you a total of 96GB, which is awesome.
    If you get the Sandisk Extreme micro SD you're not really even sacrificing speed with the external storage. I got the 64GB flavor and it is quite noticably faster than the sandisk Ultra when browsing photos from it and launching apps from it. The 96GB of storage I have now may be just a little overkill TBH, though.

Sent from my humble S4
    08-25-2013 12:02 PM
    If you get the Sandisk Extreme micro SD you're not really even sacrificing speed with the external storage. I got the 64GB flavor and it is quite noticably faster than the sandisk Ultra when browsing photos from it and launching apps from it. The 96GB of storage I have now may be just a little overkill TBH, though.

Sent from my humble S4
    Yea I've had my eye on one of those Extreme 64GB, currently @ $99 waiting to see if they drop a little more.
    08-25-2013 12:13 PM
    Yea I've had my eye on one of those Extreme 64GB, currently @ $99 waiting to see if they drop a little more.
    You may be okay with the 32GB version too if you have 32GB base internal.

Sent from my humble S4
    08-25-2013 12:16 PM
    Hmm. I sort of wanted to be able to get it at Best Buy the same day I get my phone .

Also I went ahead and ordered a 32GB Ultra off Amazon. It'll get here when I get my phone .
    08-26-2013 12:14 PM
    So I have to wait another week because my aunt doesn't get paid until Friday and the bill is slightly overdue. Verizon won't let me upgrade until it's paid

#FML

also mfw i've already waited 4 months and this **** keeps happening
    08-28-2013 09:50 AM
    If you get the Sandisk Extreme micro SD you're not really even sacrificing speed with the external storage.
    That's not true. The Sandisk Extreme is a class 10 (10MB/S) card and the eMMC's the use are likely 260MB/s read and 50MB/s write. You're sacrificing a lot of speed by going to uSD.

If you think you can fit everything you want on 32GB and don't mind paying the extra $40 ($50 - the cost of a 16GB uSD card) I'd say the 32GB might be better. You'll also have the option of using Google Music to store your songs (you can only "pin" to internal storage).
    08-28-2013 10:29 AM
    That's not true. The Sandisk Extreme is a class 10 (10MB/S) card and the eMMC's the use are likely 260MB/s read and 50MB/s write. You're sacrificing a lot of speed by going to uSD.

If you think you can fit everything you want on 32GB and don't mind paying the extra $40 ($50 - the cost of a 16GB uSD card) I'd say the 32GB might be better. You'll also have the option of using Google Music to store your songs (you can only "pin" to internal storage).
    I should have said that it doesn't FEEL like your sacrificing much speed subjectively.

08-28-2013 11:30 AM
    Sandisk Extreme cards have a manufacturer-claimed read speed of up to 80 MB/s; which is not slow. The Sandisk Ultra cards have a read transfer speed of 30MB/s.
    08-28-2013 02:35 PM
    This

08-28-2013 02:37 PM
    Alright guys, I just got back from Best Buy a few hours ago. Everything worked out. I'm now a proud owner of the S4. My first reaction: this phone is huge! my second reaction: LOLOLOL IPHONE 4 IS SO TINY!!!!

I ended up getting a Speck case and Invisible SHIELD, there was a combo deal where I got 10 bucks off the shield. Worth it IMHO. The case is nice, it offers a decent amount of protection and has a nice grip and design.

Plus, with Best Buy's warranty being amazing, I'm not too worried if it breaks.

I also picked up a 50 dollar Play card. Anyone have any apps I should buy? I got Tasker because it's amazing, using it to automatically go on Vibrate during sc
    08-28-2013 04:05 PM
36 12