I am currently on T-Mobile and looking for a Galaxy S4. According to Wikipedia, I can see that the T-Mobile and AT&T versions are almost exactly the same, but the T-Mobile version has "AWS" in its 3G list, as well as "PCS" and "CLR" for 4G.

Other than the carrier-installed apps, would I notice a difference between the two if I bought an unlocked AT&T version to use on T-Mobile's network? Would it be possible to flash the T-Mobile factory image on an AT&T phone?

Being able to choose between both versions would give me a lot more options and make a used one easier to find.
    08-26-2013 09:02 PM
    I'm using an att phone on T-Mobile and I'll say its the same experience as having an official T-Mobile phone. But taking a tmo phone to att is a different story.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    08-26-2013 09:52 PM
    You will not be able to get on T-Mobile's AWS 3G network with an AT&T GS4. In some cities, T-Mobile has added 3G coverage on the 1900mhz band, which you will be able to get on the AT&T phone. You'll want to do some research to make sure you will have 1900mhz 3G coverage (airportal.de might be a good place to start). Just be aware that you will hit more EDGE only areas when using a non-AWS 3G phone on T-Mobile.
    As for LTE, you should be able to get on T-Mobile's LTE with the AT&T GS4, since both carriers use Band 4 LTE.
    08-27-2013 12:11 AM
    You will not be able to get on T-Mobile's AWS 3G network with an AT&T GS4. In some cities, T-Mobile has added 3G coverage on the 1900mhz band, which you will be able to get on the AT&T phone. You'll want to do some research to make sure you will have 1900mhz 3G coverage (airportal.de might be a good place to start). Just be aware that you will hit more EDGE only areas when using a non-AWS 3G phone on T-Mobile.
    As for LTE, you should be able to get on T-Mobile's LTE with the AT&T GS4, since both carriers use Band 4 LTE.
    This.

I'm using an att phone on T-Mobile and I'll say its the same experience as having an official T-Mobile phone. But taking a tmo phone to att is a different story.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    Can't compare another ATT phone to another ATT phone and expect them to always work the same. They are different phones with different radios.. So yours may work whereas the other one may not... Or they both may work. Have to look into specifics .

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    08-27-2013 06:22 AM
    Thanks everyone! That's great information. I knew there were slight differences in the radios, but coming from a Nexus 4, I'm already in the mindset of being able to switch out between AT&T and T-Mobile sim cards depending on my needs. Everywhere that I've been so far, T-Mobile has only given me either Edge (or basically zero service) or HSPA (no 4G on the Nexus), but no in between.

I don't ever plan to go back to AT&T exclusively, but I like being able to buy a prepaid sim when I travel so I can have reliable coverage. I guess I'll have to decide whether it's more important to have more 3G coverage on T-Mobile or to have the ability to switch to AT&T if I need to. I'm guessing the AT&T branded phone is probably the best option.
    08-27-2013 08:38 AM