Data question

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Does android devices use more data then ios device's. I usually don't go past 4gb when I had my iPhone. Now I'm past 4gb. I'm on Wi-Fi mainly the whole day except for when I'm at work. I know Verizon has had problems before with charging for data while on Wi-Fi

tapped out on my S4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Does android devices use more data then ios device's. I usually don't go past 4gb when I had my iPhone. Now I'm past 4gb. I'm on Wi-Fi mainly the whole day except for when I'm at work. I know Verizon has had problems before with charging for data while on Wi-Fi

tapped out on my S4

It mostly is due to what apps you have on your device, widgets, etc. Say you have NBC News widget (No idea if it really exists) and the refresh rate is set for every 2 hours. Well, every 2 hours your phone is connecting to the net, and refreshing all that data. 12 times in one day, lets say pulling 10 MB each time. 120 MB/day, and 600 MB for 30 days just for that widget. Just over half a GB. And that is only one widget, and I think 10 MB is a little on the small side for a news widget, if you consider it probably updates say 5 articles and several sections with pictures. You can also safely assume that when the widget updates, so does the app.

And that's not counting auto sync, Email pushes, etc. And all that is not counting your use.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I just know when I got the iPhone 5 Verizon had this problem with charging us for data on Wi-Fi. Maybe they're doing the same thing with the s4

Tapped out on my S4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If you go to Settings>Connections>Data usage it should tell you how much data each app is using. You may be able to debug it from there.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just know when I got the iPhone 5 Verizon had this problem with charging us for data on Wi-Fi. Maybe they're doing the same thing with the s4

Tapped out on my S4

Lol that sounds like a cheap way for them to rack up overage charges.. Sounds illegal to :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
This is
vyzybyry.jpg

Tapped out on my S4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377635207642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377635207642.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 38

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Whatever Remove Apps is seems to be a problem. A quick Google search shows that others have had this problem with other phones (many times called "Delete Apps") in the past, but the 2 minutes I spent on it didn't turn up any solutions.

Actually, all of your numbers seem way high to me. I spend most of my time on WiFi at home and comparing the same apps we have (Facebook, Play Store), your data usage is about 5 times higher than mine. I'd double check that your phone is using your WiFi when you're at home. FWIW, I'm on Verizon, too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Remove apps is apps he uninstalled... So whatever you uninstalled is what was eating your data.

Either way looks like you are also using the phone more.. Probably more than the iOS especially with widgets and everything.. That can cause more data usage :).

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

I think when you check via that way for your data usage it counts for everything including WiFi because I have a data tracker app and that app varies greatly from the settings>data. Also my WiFi and mobile data from the tracker app when added up equal roughly what my settings>data says

goingminimalist73.blogspot.com

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes mine uses a lot of data to around 5 gig a month mind you I'm coming from BlackBerry that barely used 1, thankfully I changed my plan

Posted via Android Central App

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just took the S4 back and went back with the iPhone. That data usage was a deal breaker for me. Appreciate the feed back. But if I can't enjoy the phone to the fullest then I'm not gonna mess with it.

Tapped out on my iPhone 5

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just took the S4 back and went back with the iPhone. That data usage was a deal breaker for me. Appreciate the feed back. But if I can't enjoy the phone to the fullest then I'm not gonna mess with it.

How much more would it have cost you to up your plan?
Also,you went from a beautiful 1080p 5 inch screen to a 4 inch mini me?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
How much more would it have cost you to up your plan?
Also,you went from a beautiful 1080p 5 inch screen to a 4 inch mini me?

I'm not gonna up my plan. I just had an itch checked out android. It's a lot better then it used to be. Just like the iPhone better.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's how it will always be.. The OS can do more (widgets and syncs) so.. That will cause data usage. Restricting background data would of been your answer and then you would of been fine.

Either way enjoy your iPhone :).

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not gonna up my plan. I just had an itch checked out android. It's a lot better then it used to be. Just like the iPhone better.

Just to let you know I have a co worker who switch to T Mobile recently With his iPhone 5. He used 29 gigabytes last month. He was with Verizon before btw.
Iphones can use a lot of data too.
It really depends on user

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know I have a co worker who switch to T Mobile recently With his iPhone 5. He used 29 gigabytes last month. He was with Verizon before btw.
Iphones can use a lot of data too.
It really depends on user

Yeah I'm sure. U can wifi tether not use wifi. And I'm sure u could get real high data usage. My data is back to normal now. The funny thing is I used the S4 the same way I use the iPhone and used way more data with the S4. I'm happy to be back with the iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol