battery drain issues

drummer07

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got the s4 on Sunday. Right away I updated to the newest software ota. Ever since I've had the phone the battery life has been horrendous. It drains almost 30% an hour. Google services uses 78% media server 9% and display 8%.I disabled all of the Samsung services, WiFi, GPS, battery saving mode on.... What gives? I shouldn't have to put this much effort into battery issues. Any ideas? Or am I spoiled from my iPhone 5 battery life? Thanks.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got the s4 on Sunday. Right away I updated to the newest software ota. Ever since I've had the phone the battery life has been horrendous. It drains almost 30% an hour. Google services uses 78% media server 9% and display 8%.I disabled all of the Samsung services, WiFi, GPS, battery saving mode on.... What gives? I shouldn't have to put this much effort into battery issues. Any ideas? Or am I spoiled from my iPhone 5 battery life? Thanks.

Sometimes after updates can cause problems with the Play store (google services)
First off go to Settings > applications > and find the play store. Wipe the data and cache
Turn off wifi, BT, and GPS.
Then restart the phone
and go to the play store. (sign in if needed) then go to My apps and update all the apps if necessary. This should help a little.
I had this issue once. But each persons can differ.
So good luck

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
That is not normal battery life, so no, don't even bother comparing it to another phone.

It sounds to me like you may have not even restarted your phone since it started happening? It's hard to believe you got that crazy battery drain after a restart. The only way to drain 30% an hour is to have the screen on full brightness for the entire hour while using the phone...especially if using CPU/Modem intensive things.

Try download GSAM Battery Monitor for a more detailed description of what's draining your battery.

drummer07

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have restarted it. I just restated again after clearing play store cache and it seems just as bad. Downloaded gsam, android system uses 21%, kernel 5%, everything else is 3% or less. Seems to be tending 20% per hour now, which still seems high for everything that's disabled and shut off.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Some of the S4's get a little touchy after the software update (Apps2SD firmware update), and the best fix is to just factory reset after the update installs. Something between the old and new causes conflicts, and at this point is a known problem. What Ryandroid suggests works for some, but most of the time just biting the reset bullet works without fail and Samsung has begun suggesting it. Thankfully you're only 2 days in, so it won't hurt as much if you decide to try it that way. If you've already started heavy texting and picture taking, backup your pictures on the SD card if they aren't there already, and a Samsung account will back up your call log and text messages.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You need to do the factory reset after that update anyway as it brings back the missing WiFi toggle. My phone will typically run almost 24 hours before needing charge but after a couple days of that a wake lock bug of some kind seems to drag that down to 5 hours. Restarting the phone makes it go away for a few days again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ellisk500

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
HI,

I had the same problem as you when I first got my s4. I thought there was a problem with the phone so returned it to no avail. I tried all the BS with the battery monitors and turning everything off etc. I now leave Bluetooth, wifi, gps, screen on high, all the gestures on etc and I still have about 50% by the end of the day.

So, after researching everywhere, I found that the problem was google. It is constantly trying to connect and send location etc. I kid you not, all I did was go to settings>more>location services> and turn off wi fi and mobile network location. THEN go to settings> accounts> google> location settings> turn off.

That was it! I tried this on another friend's phone and it solved his battery issues too. The only catch with this is if you want to use maps, you have to turn it back on.

Let me know if this works for you, I'm curious to know.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
HI,

I had the same problem as you when I first got my s4. I thought there was a problem with the phone so returned it to no avail. I tried all the BS with the battery monitors and turning everything off etc. I now leave Bluetooth, wifi, gps, screen on high, all the gestures on etc and I still have about 50% by the end of the day.

So, after researching everywhere, I found that the problem was google. It is constantly trying to connect and send location etc. I kid you not, all I did was go to settings>more>location services> and turn off wi fi and mobile network location. THEN go to settings> accounts> google> location settings> turn off.

That was it! I tried this on another friend's phone and it solved his battery issues too. The only catch with this is if you want to use maps, you have to turn it back on.

Let me know if this works for you, I'm curious to know.

You basically disabled everything. The only thing I have disabled, with regards to location, is location sharing in Google+ (which was the old Latitude in Google Maps). My phone will be at 60-80% at the end of the day with light usage. Closer to 80% if I disable "use wireless networks" in location settings...but I like having that setting on and it's only a difference of about 5% on average.

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
ellisk500:
No. When I first setup my phone Google/Samsung apps were the first ones I disabled. I would like to learn how to do root setup. Maybe I wouldn't have to disable/force shutdown after I recharge. These are apps showing disabled in application mgr. Why are apps starting up again after I do a battery recharge? Thank you for your suggestions. Someone else may be having same battery drain issues.

hpmini2009

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes after updates can cause problems with the Play store (google services)
First off go to Settings > applications > and find the play store. Wipe the data and cache
Turn off wifi, BT, and GPS.
Then restart the phone
and go to the play store. (sign in if needed) then go to My apps and update all the apps if necessary. This should help a little.
I had this issue once. But each persons can differ.
So good luck

Google Play Store vers?

hpmini2009

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance