How I Got My Galaxy S4 To Be Completely Lag / Stutter Free

10 Gauge

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
This changes work!!! I saw a HUGE difference!!! Thank you!!!

Glad it helped you out.

I didn't like the fact that every time you reboot the device you have to reset the developer settings.

Ultimately I switched to CM w/ KT kernel and really couldn't be happier. Awesome performance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy? S4 using Tapatalk 4

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
This is so stupid!!!!

That is the exact reason I left the S4 cause you should NOT have to do disable all the features to make it run smooth.

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Haven't experienced any of these "stutter and lag" problems. The only issue I have is with the inability to paste photos from the clipboard, text works fine.

Posted via Android Central App

crueppell

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I found these tips to help A LOT! I did not install the two recommended apps but rather simply went through each of the other steps and REALLY appreciate the instruction. Additionally I did have a lot of cache to clear up (that didn't hurt to clear and accelerate the processing). I am a novice when it comes to this stuff and really appreciate the details in assisting!

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Or switch to a Nexus 5... That will solve your lag issues.

But who wants to loose a nice camera and battery life/SD-slot/Removable battery ?
Problem with Nexus is , you can make it lag free on screens but games/apps continue to lag like always , best solution is to switch to iOS or WP (iOS 7 does stutter but not at the level of Android , Apps/games run buttery smooth).

If I really didn't care about those , I would go for iPhone 5S but not Nexus 5 , instead of Galaxy S4.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
But who wants to loose a nice camera and battery life/SD-slot/Removable battery ?
Problem with Nexus is , you can make it lag free on screens but games/apps continue to lag like always , best solution is to switch to iOS or WP (iOS 7 does stutter but not at the level of Android , Apps/games run buttery smooth).

If I really didn't care about those , I would go for iPhone 5S but not Nexus 5 , instead of Galaxy S4.

Nexus 5 has no lag with any of the apps and games i've tried. If there are any out there it is due to poor coding by the app dev. ART is also amazing. I can honestly say that is is smoother than any io7 experience. Besides the "ios has no lag" thing is as much a myth as "Apple computers have no viruses". There are many apps poorly coded by devs on both ios and android platforms.
Nexus 5's camera is quite good after the 4.4.1 update. Battery life? average 4 hours of screen time and roughly 16 hours on a day's use. That is more than enough to go to bed and charge the phone.

I could say the same thing about switching from a nexus 5 to a S4. Why loose the better screen(objectively better according sites like anadtech), faster processor, better build quality(feels much more premium), software buttons, less bloated aesthetically pleasing minimalist os, significantly cheaper price etc.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 has no lag with any of the apps and games i've tried. If there are any out there it is due to poor coding by the app dev. ART is also amazing. I can honestly say that is is smoother than any io7 experience. Besides the "ios has no lag" thing is as much a myth as "Apple computers have no viruses". There are many apps poorly coded by devs on both ios and android platforms.
Nexus 5's camera is quite good after the 4.4.1 update. Battery life? average 4 hours of screen time and roughly 16 hours on a day's use. That is more than enough to go to bed and charge the phone.

I could say the same thing about switching from a nexus 5 to a S4. Why loose the better screen(objectively better according sites like anadtech), faster processor, better build quality(feels much more premium), software buttons, less bloated aesthetically pleasing minimalist os, significantly cheaper price etc.

This is what people claim every year about Nexus devices but when you start scrolling , lag starts as usual. Nexus 7 almost became unusable at one point.

Majority of games and apps run poorly on Android , Just try scrolling or see animations , difference is obviously visible but Android offers much more freedom which is the reason why I use it.It lags and I deal with it considering it as a "trade-off".

I never said iOS doesn't lag , it does drop frames and stutter but when you launch games/run apps , fps is consistently higher compared to Android apps/games and also WP games/apps.While navigating screens , WP frame rate is consistently higher than both Android and iOS in every place.

When you use WP and then go back to Nexus/Android/iOS , difference would be very apparent.

Battery life ? The problem is non-removable battery.It will get horrible after 6 months because Nexus 5 has fast charge mechanism which reduces battery life span rapidly.HTC didn't implement fast charge to improve longevity.Galaxy devices have replaceable battery anyway so not an issue.
There is Galaxy S2 in my home which works like a charm but my friend's N4 battery life is horrible and he can't replace it easily like I can do with GS2 or GS4.

Better screen ? Displaymate gave gold standard to Galaxy S4 screen and LCD can never beat infinite contrast ratios.
I have an iPad 3rd gen with 97% sRGB coverage and it looks pale in front of my GS4.

If you are claiming about color accuracy :
Even though people claim to like "natural" colors yet they use camera filters and Instagram. They claim as if they like RAW photos and accurate colors.Nobody uses raw images , any magazine or photographer use photoshop because real world =/= virtual world.Nexus camera doesn't give RAW samples , it gives processed images.RAW samples come in only Lumia phone.

Faster processor for sure and also GPU too.
Build quality and buttons are subjective.I like physical home button in general.

Significantly cheaper price is also subjective because not every country selling N5 at that price.
Less bloated aesthetically pleasing minimalist os , This is highly subjective as well because Android didn't support pull-down NC in full screen apps until 4.4 or so.Many features like Multi-window or direct call etc. are present in Touchwiz which are greatly functional.

I would call this a trade off , some like functionality and some like design.(If design was priority , I would go WP8 because I can't stand the white backgrounds of iOS 7 and Inconsistent Android UI).

P.S. I am not saying that GS4 is better than Nexus 5.You have come to Galaxy S4 forum and obviously majority of the people here might have chosen GS4 for things like removable battery or SD-slot or things like multiwindow etc. which are absent in Nexus 5 , therefore quite useless.

mwrmt

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to share this with the community. I make absolutely no guarantees on how well this will work for you, but this is what worked for me and I hope that it might be able to help you as well!

[url]http://t.imgbox.com/achXcncj.jpg[/URL]

Backlog: I picked up my GS4 about 3-4 weeks ago and had been experience the typical lag and stuttering issues during page switches, app switches, and quite a bit of noticeable lag in my games (Hill Climb most notably). I scoured the internet looking for ways to alleviate the problem but was never able to completely get rid of the lag or stutters that this device seems to suffer from. One of the most frustrating parts about reading the other fixes online all had to do with disabling all of the cool effects and animations a phone of this caliber should be able to slice right through. The fix that I found, and works for me, doesn't make you sacrifice the phones awesomeness for stutter free operation. After making a few tweaks in the Developer Options as well as changing or disabling some effects, I can now say that my phone is completely lag and stutter free. I haven't had an animation stutter since making these changes nor have I had a single bit of lag in any of my games. Read on for how my phone is setup and how you may be able to fix yours as well!

MY SETUP

Apps:
  • Nova Launcher Prime (Much better code optimization than TouchWiz, it makes for a more enjoyable user experience)
  • Clean Master (use this app to keep your device cache cleaned up, the less amount of data the phone has to work through the better)
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/absQ2vpx.jpg[/URL]

Settings:
-[Optional] Disable Lock Screen "Unlock Effect" - This really will have no bearing on the lag/stutter problem but I find that since it does take additional time to load these effects when you wake up your phone I prefer the responsiveness of the original swipe unlock effect. (Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Unlock effect)
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/abzmQ4Sb.jpg[/URL]

-[Optional] Disable S Voice "Open via the home key" Option - This will greatly speed up the responsiveness of the Home button if you do not use S Voice or make use of it's double tap feature. (S Voice > Menu > Settings)

Developer Options:
-Animation Scales: 0.5x (This step is about personal preference, honestly. Decreasing this setting from 1x to .5x will make the animations take half as long as they do by default which will make your device feel much more responsive, instead of waiting around for the nifty animations to dazzle you.)
-Disable hardware overlays: Check
-Force GPU rendering: Check
-Enable 4x MSAA: Check (This option really will have no bearing on lag/stutter issues, in fact if it has any impact at all it would be in games which would potentially slow them down or cause them to lag as forcing anti-aliasing is going to increase GPU load. However with this enabled I have seen no such sign of lag in my gaming and it only serves to make your games look better. Go ahead and enable it.)
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/acnqI6cH.jpg[/URL]

-Limit background processes: 4 processes at most (This will help keep your RAM from getting tied up by applications that you are no longer using, etc rather than sitting idle hogging up memory you could be using for other things)
[url]http://t.imgbox.com/aceZBJQZ.jpg[/URL]

I am very anxious to hear if doing these things helps anyone else out. I can say with certainty that this combination has breathed new life in to my stuttery S4. Please post your results and let me know if this works for you as well. CHEERS!!!

I'm giving these tricks a try and see if I notice anything. Thanks. :cool:

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
:'(Can someone please help me I have a samsung galaxy s4 active Sgh-i537 I used clean master to backup an uninstalle at&t software updates wssyncmld.apk because my date got messed up and it said I had to wait over 8000 hours till I can check for updates again. . But every time I try to re install at&t software updates it says application not installed? Please is there any way I can get it back or any app that will check for ota updates?

Attachments

• Before open_2014-01-04-17-06-15.jpg
    Before open_2014-01-04-17-06-15.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 49
  • After open_2014-01-04-17-07-13.jpg
    After open_2014-01-04-17-07-13.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2014-01-02-11-12-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-02-11-12-03.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 49

DrMomz

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
How do you get to developer options?

Go to Settings (the cog wheel), scroll all the way down until you see { } developer options. Click on that.