I am shooting a music festival for a magazine in a couple weeks and they want daily coverage so I have to upload 10-20 jpeg images per day from my Canon 5DIII to the website. I could use a laptop and download the SD or CF card but would rather not lug it around. I will have my Samsung Galaxy S4 and I assume there has to be a way to transfer jpeg images to the phone for upload., I first looked into wifi transfer but cannot find anything that would work. The 6d has this capability. Now Im wondering if there is a way to connect a card reader to the phone. Any help or advice would be much appreciated?

thanks!
    08-28-2013 07:59 PM
    Does the WFT-E7 not work for this?
    08-28-2013 08:40 PM
    I'm not familiar with that camera. But, if it uses SD card, I would get me 2 (or more) 32GB micro SD cards and one adapter.
    Put one in the adapter to use with the camera. Then, when full or when you consider you have enough, take it out and place it inside the phone to upload to wherever site you want.
    Meanwhile the other card is in the camera so you don't stop taking pics and video.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    Golfdriver97 and ratsnest74 like this.
    08-28-2013 08:43 PM
    I am shooting a music festival for a magazine in a couple weeks and they want daily coverage so I have to upload 10-20 jpeg images per day from my Canon 5DIII to the website. I could use a laptop and download the SD or CF card but would rather not lug it around. I will have my Samsung Galaxy S4 and I assume there has to be a way to transfer jpeg images to the phone for upload., I first looked into wifi transfer but cannot find anything that would work. The 6d has this capability. Now Im wondering if there is a way to connect a card reader to the phone. Any help or advice would be much appreciated?

thanks!
    Stargate has an outstanding idea. In fact, I would test the video abilities of both devices. If the S4 is just as too or better than the camera, why not just take the phone?

From a SlimROM S3
    08-28-2013 09:00 PM
    Stargate has an outstanding idea. In fact, I would test the video abilities of both devices. If the S4 is just as too or better than the camera, why not just take the phone?

From a SlimROM S3
    The Canon 5D3 is a full frame professional level DSLR. There's not even a glimmer of a comparison to be made between it and any smartphone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
    ratsnest74 likes this.
    08-28-2013 09:33 PM
    Does the 5DIII use SD cards? If so, use the Eye-fi card. You can automagically send to your S4, then upload from there. You use an ad-hoc wifi network between the Eye-fil card in your camera and the wifi on your S4. There are other cards out there that offer similar capability. You can get the card for under $100. I bought a refurb on w00t for around $50 last year. Works great, though I typically use it on my tablet. Keep in mind that wifi transfer is slooooow compared to a wired transfer like usb. Not terribly slow, but you aren't going to shoot/upload/shoot. You'll also need a good sized card in your S4 as a short term "buffer" as you move the files.

You'll still want some other portable storage so you can move files off the Eye-fi and keep shooting the shows.

(EDIT) I see the 5D3 has dual slots (SD and CF). Put a large CF card and the Eye-fi card in, and use the Eye-fi to transfer the jpegs. I assume you'll use the CF card for raw files. (I'm a Pentax/Olympus guy, had to check the specs on the Canon.)
    08-29-2013 01:47 PM
    Does the 5DIII use SD cards? If so, use the Eye-fi card.
    This is what I was going to suggest as well. If you don't mind the extra expense, Eye-fi is probably the easiest way unless the 5DIII takes regular sized SD cards. In that case, you could just get an adapter.
    08-29-2013 02:32 PM
    the WFT-E7 would work BUT its $850
    08-29-2013 08:07 PM
    this is one idea that may work

I'm not familiar with that camera. But, if it uses SD card, I would get me 2 (or more) 32GB micro SD cards and one adapter.
    Put one in the adapter to use with the camera. Then, when full or when you consider you have enough, take it out and place it inside the phone to upload to wherever site you want.
    Meanwhile the other card is in the camera so you don't stop taking pics and video.

08-29-2013 08:08 PM
    there is no comparison the SLR blows the s4 away and it would not be capable of providing magazine quality shots, otherwise I would rather do that than lug around 20lbs

From a SlimROM S3
    - - - Updated - - -

its has a CF and an SD slot

Does the 5DIII use SD cards? If so, use the Eye-fi card. You can automagically send to your S4, then upload from there. You use an ad-hoc wifi network between the Eye-fil card in your camera and the wifi on your S4. There are other cards out there that offer similar capability. You can get the card for under $100. I bought a refurb on w00t for around $50 last year. Works great, though I typically use it on my tablet. Keep in mind that wifi transfer is slooooow compared to a wired transfer like usb. Not terribly slow, but you aren't going to shoot/upload/shoot. You'll also need a good sized card in your S4 as a short term "buffer" as you move the files.

You'll still want some other portable storage so you can move files off the Eye-fi and keep shooting the shows.

(EDIT) I see the 5D3 has dual slots (SD and CF). Put a large CF card and the Eye-fi card in, and use the Eye-fi to transfer the jpegs. I assume you'll use the CF card for raw files. (I'm a Pentax/Olympus guy, had to check the specs on the Canon.)
    08-29-2013 08:10 PM
    good idea, jpegs can go on my 32 GB SD cards and should be sufficient, I only need 10-20 shots per day uploaded via phone.

08-29-2013 08:17 PM
    08-29-2013 08:18 PM
    Yes, that actually works almost as the idea I came up with.

Difference is that you can also use a USB stick and don't have to open the back if your phone to install the micro SD

Whichever method you decide to use, good luck, and take great pictures! :thumbup:

08-29-2013 11:11 PM
    the WFT-E7 would work BUT its $850
    For someone that can afford a $3000 camera body and I'm sure a plethora of L glass to go with it, $850 shouldn't be a problem.

08-30-2013 08:07 PM
    Maybe he doesn't have that much money at the moment?

We can't assume he always has a bunch of money ready for anything.

08-31-2013 08:57 AM
    Maybe he doesn't have that much money at the moment?

We can't assume he always has a bunch of money ready for anything.

No ****. Hence the .

08-31-2013 10:37 AM
    No ****. Hence the .

Yea, I noticed that. I still wanted to say something.

08-31-2013 10:44 AM
    That's badass! I like that. Much cheaper/better solution than Eye-fi cards for what you're wanting to do. I may pick one of these up just because they're cheap and could be handy.
    09-03-2013 03:46 PM