12-11-2013 11:14 PM
921 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Remember apple folks interned at xerox and left with the intellectual property in hand.
    As for microsoft they licensed software and ibm did the hardware...think those lawyers did a good job for ibm???
    Wasn't it Mr. Gates who loaned $150 million to apple when they were on the brink of ruin because they priced themselves out of the market.
    Say what you want about pcs but they made computers affordable to everyone. Without pcs being affordable only the affluent would have the luxury of computing in their everyday lives.

Posted via Android Central App
    return_0 and cindylee60 like this.
    09-02-2013 09:25 AM
    Remember microsoft licensed the software, ibm licensed hardware. Do you think the ibm lawyers did a good job for their company?
    Remember the $150 million dollar loan Gates made to apple when the were on the brink of ruin because they priced themselves out of the market.
    Say what you want about pcs but they ushered in the computer age by making them affordable to everyone. Mr Gates envisioned a computer in every house; now look at the world.
    Apple products may be great; but they are not the only great products. Frankly, I like being able to upgrade my devices when ever I choose, add more memory or faster hard drives. I loathe proprietary crap; cannot stand that I have to use itunes for my ipod but I deal with it fine.
    People have their own tastes and different does not necessarily make one better or worse.
    09-02-2013 09:53 AM
    ... but until Mac came along with Mac osx it wasn't anything like the computers we see today.
    Nope. Mac OS X is based off of BSD Unix..OS X came of age circa 2002. We'd wanna give MS Windows more credit than OS X...stemming back to the late 80s. In fact, I can't really see what we've significantly gained from OSX besides just another stable OS (which I happen to love, BTW), alongside Windows and Linux. Yes, iOS stemmed from OSX so you have that if you're an iOS user.

Sent from my Xperia Z tab
    09-02-2013 09:55 AM
    It's one thing to respect a man for his contributions to history, and another to turn a blind cheek to his terrible character.
    Windows a complete rip off? I am sorry but isn't OS a direct rip off of Xerox's OS? Mouse included? And Steve Jobs acknowledged this?

In that time of age, everyone copied each other because there was NOTHING ELSE.
    It is funny how you give Steve Jobs credit for many things, yet forget who first invented a computer. Who first designed the first micro processor. Etc. It is very sad in today's society that those who get credit are those who make it to the media, while those who's accomplishments TRULY made it possible, are forgotten.

As far as having great devices, if you look hard enough you will be surprised. I can name computers Apple stole from. Computers better built than even today's Macbook Pro'.
    Very true. Steve Jobs was a GENIUS at marketing, any marketing student should look up to him as a God. Steve Wozniack on the other hand, TERRIBLE at marketing, invented the first mac computer and gets almost no recognition.

cindylee60 and DroidArmy like this.
    09-02-2013 09:56 AM
    Very true. Steve Jobs was a GENIUS at marketing, any marketing student should look up to him as a God. Steve Wozniack on the other hand, TERRIBLE at marketing, invented the first mac computer and gets almost no recognition.

True, it was Steve Wozniack who made the first apple computer. Still, seeing Wozniack left, I see Steve Jobs as the guy at the heart of Apple. Honestly, I feel Steve Wozniack got ripped off for his work, but life's a *****
    09-02-2013 10:26 AM
    Nope. Mac OS X is based off of BSD Unix..OS X came of age circa 2002. We'd wanna give MS Windows more credit than OS X...stemming back to the late 80s. In fact, I can't really see what we've significantly gained from OSX besides just another stable OS (which I happen to love, BTW), alongside Windows and Linux. Yes, iOS stemmed from OSX so you have that if you're an iOS user.

Sorry, that's my words not making sense. I say mac osx referring to all the apple computer operating systems, it's just a habit. I give more credit to Apple than anything for what we have now, especially in the mac line. Mac is basically the computer of designers and business. Although I use Windows, I see it more as a get the taxes done operating system. That's why I rarely use my computer, it's all for paperwork. And it's why I'll be buying a mac soon
    09-02-2013 10:30 AM
    True, it was Steve Wozniack who made the first apple computer. Still, seeing Wozniack left, I see Steve Jobs as the guy at the heart of Apple. Honestly, I feel Steve Wozniack got ripped off for his work, but life's a *****
    He left because he couldn't stand the guy.. But true

09-02-2013 10:42 AM

Correct. Marketing was his talent, always has been. He just takes the credit for what his engineers do. As always. Not the best Marketer. To that I give Coca-Cola my respects.

Thanks for bringing it up, had to head to work didn't have time to make a proper response.
    There were plenty of OS's back then, although there were already several OS with software w/ GUI already. What Apple did was release the FIRST commercially available PC with actual GUI operating system. For some reason people think they invented the mouse and GUI when in reality Xerox and others* did that, also there were other GUI implementations. If memory serves me correct the first implementations date back to the 60s or 70s. These were NOT actual OS, but more like custom software for specific tasks.

Lastly yes OS is actually dead, and has been dead for over a decade replaced by Mac OS X which you kept referring to (OSX), which as Haalcyon correctly pointed out is BSD Unix based.
    It doesn't really speak bad of OS, just means it was too old for it's time. After all even Microsoft had to dump DOS and switched to Windows NT.
    09-02-2013 10:54 AM
    Thanks Pappy. I don't think it is right for me to come to an android forum and raise waves over defense of iOS or the iphone device. I have used many android devices, most recently the GS4 and GNoteII, and therefore believe I have a good feel and opinion for them.....but it is just that, an opinion that very few here would likely care to hear
    Feel free :-) we're hearing 90% one perspective, which any parrot can accommodate.

Nexus. Through spacetime.
    09-02-2013 04:22 PM
    Thanks Pappy. I don't think it is right for me to come to an android forum and raise waves over defense of iOS or the iphone device. I have used many android devices, most recently the GS4 and GNoteII, and therefore believe I have a good feel and opinion for them.....but it is just that, an opinion that very few here would likely care to hear
    You don't need to worry what everyone else here likes. It's good to be exposed to the reality that differing opinions are just as valid, even if we don't agree.

Sent from my humble S4
    09-02-2013 05:38 PM

This is the reason Apple products do so well, Jobs legacy he left was creating a monster marketing machine, And he was a great salesman promoting the engineers creations.
    09-02-2013 11:48 PM
    I have an iPhone 5 and switched to the Samsung s3.was going back and forth between the two and finally realized It wasn't android that I didn't like it was Samsung. I just got the DROID maxx and love it. Samsung seems to me to be cheap made and it seems like a pain to do anything with. The maxx is just as easy as the iPhone and the battery life is real good. Gave the 5 to my wife and now I have a 4 on WI fi only that I play with when I get the apple urge. I could not get comfortable using the Samsung but the DROID maxx I got used to right away and love it. Try HTC one or the maxx before you give up on Android.

09-03-2013 01:29 AM
    I have an iPhone 5 and switched to the Samsung s3.was going back and forth between the two and finally realized It wasn't android that I didn't like it was Samsung. I just got the DROID maxx and love it. Samsung seems to me to be cheap made and it seems like a pain to do anything with. The maxx is just as easy as the iPhone and the battery life is real good. Gave the 5 to my wife and now I have a 4 on WI fi only that I play with when I get the apple urge. I could not get comfortable using the Samsung but the DROID maxx I got used to right away and love it. Try HTC one or the maxx before you give up on Android.

Different strokes....

Sent from my humble S4
    09-03-2013 01:43 AM
    Switched from Iphone5 and couldn't be happier. All those years that I thought nothing could beat Iphone... Pffft. To me, iPhone is now a joke and basically a trend accessorie. In school , all I see are Iphones and it makes me giggle lol. But I can see why. Iphone is just straight forward where Android there is way more of a learning curve. Thats how I felt but I loved learning something new.
    09-03-2013 02:34 AM

So you come to a Samsung forum, calling Samsung products cheap, and then promote the Maxx? Sure that'll go over well......
    09-03-2013 06:16 AM
    So you come to a Samsung forum, calling Samsung products cheap, and then promote the Maxx? Sure that'll go over well......
    Whether or not it goes over well should be inconsequential and irrelevant. This is his experience. Are the forums about saying things that others find enjoyable or agree with or are we adults able to freely discuss our opinions and experiences with Android and other mobile OS'?

Sent from my humble S4 or Note 8.0 or Xperia Z tablet
    09-03-2013 06:30 AM
    This is the reason Apple products do so well, Jobs legacy he left was creating a monster marketing machine, And he was a great salesman promoting the engineers creations.
    I think that the reason Apple products do so well is that they do what they do so well.
    DroidArmy likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:06 AM
    I think that the reason Apple products do so well is that they do what they do so well.
    I don't believe that is true anymore; Android products have been at the level of Apple in that respect for a while now. I think that when the iPhone first came out, it already was able to "do what it does so well", while Android at the time wasn't. So people naturally chose the iPhone. For a while after that, Android improved, but people still stuck to the iPhone because they were used to it. Now, that's starting to change.
    09-03-2013 08:19 AM
    Whether or not it goes over well should be inconsequential and irrelevant. This is his experience. Are the forums about saying things that others find enjoyable or agree with or are we adults able to freely discuss our opinions and experiences with Android and other mobile OS'?

Sent from my humble S4 or Note 8.0 or Xperia Z tablet
    Even though I respect his opinion, this is a s4 forum thread. That belongs in the Maxx forum. This isn't the place for it. It would have fine been if he didn't say Samsung was cheap, but he did sooo.....
    09-03-2013 08:33 AM
    Exactly pappy. They build excellent products, an easy to use OS (ios or Mac osx), but most importantly they nailed notifications and messaging. The ONLY things I miss from ios are imessage and the beautiful way of doing notifications. Nothing comes close to those on any platform in my opinion (except for BBM, it's really good and I'm looking forward to having it on android).
    09-03-2013 08:38 AM
    I don't believe that is true anymore; Android products have been at the level of Apple in that respect for a while now. I think that when the iPhone first came out, it already was able to "do what it does so well", while Android at the time wasn't. So people naturally chose the iPhone. For a while after that, Android improved, but people still stuck to the iPhone because they were used to it. Now, that's starting to change.
    I am sure that some stay with iPhone because they are used to it, but most probably do because it does what they need it to do right out of the box with no lag or issues, and still does it well 2 or 3 years down the road. Plus 3 and 4 year old iPhones still get timely updates, which is a big factor.
    Android has caught up in some things, but that doesn't seem to lessen the iPhone's appeal, at least in the U.S.. iPhone has been increasing it's U.S. marketshare for several months, while Android has been stagnant or slipping. Surveys show that more people switch from Android to Apple than vice-versa, and the U.S. carriers report that more than half of their smartphones sales are iPhones. Add OUTSTANDING customer support to that, and you have a very desirable product.
    Good OL MC and DroidArmy like this.
    09-03-2013 08:39 AM
    Exactly pappy. They build excellent products, am easy to use OS (ios or Mac osx), but most importantly they nailed notifications and messaging. The ONLY things I miss from ios are imessage and the beautiful way of doing notifications. Nothing comes close to those on any platform in my opinion (except for BBM, it's really good and I'm looking forward to having it on android).
    Are you freaking kidding me. The best notification system was on webOS and if Apotheker hadn't totally destroyed that platform it would still be around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-03-2013 08:43 AM
    Not necessarily. The only reason I'm on android is because my iPhone got stolen. I had a chance to try it, so I took the chance. I would still be using an iPhone now if that didn't happen, and that's no problem with me. It works, there are so many apps, and you get a streamlined experience and ease of use across the board. I value Apple as much as I do Samsung, and that's saying something. Apple, in my opinion, actually builds better products, but they don't have the size of screen that fits my needs. They're popular for a reason, they make it so easy. You wouldn't believe the hoops I went through to get my Android phone perfect, that kind of work is too much for something you paid a great amount of money for. Android is still a OS that needs somebody to step-up and make it absolutely perfect with the phone it runs on (which only HTC has come close to doing, unless it's a Google edition or Nexus). I'll probably use android for a long time, but that doesn't mean Apple is worse.
    09-03-2013 08:45 AM
    Are you freaking kidding me. The best notification system was on webOS and if Apotheker hadn't totally destroyed that platform it would still be around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    Well, Web os was killed for a reason. Personally, haven't used it, but I'll take your word for it. I still prefer ios over it for the notifications either way
    09-03-2013 08:46 AM
    Except that the iPhone 5 battery is about 1400 mah and the S4 is around 2600. So the i5 must be magical.
    So late last week my wife used Google Now on her iPhone 5 (presumably making sure it got into active memory, but I don't know if it made a difference) and then went back to work after maternity leave on Friday. Something about her change in schedule or opening Google Now drained the battery without her using it in half a day. She had to turn it off to keep her battery from draining in just a few hours. I have my Google Now on all the time and I make it through the day without any problems, even while traveling. That doesn't sound very magical to me.
    09-03-2013 08:50 AM
921 ... 89101112 ...