12-11-2013 11:14 PM
921 12345 ...
tools
    I really like Google Play for music. I can upload 20,000 tracks (an amazing amount if you think about it), listen to them anywhere in very good audio quality, for free. Or as someone said, I can buy music from Google for a low price.

I am happy with Android because it's customizable. If you get a good phone (I've got Galaxy S4) you can't go wrong with Android. Iphone is an easy choice for those who don't want to customize or have a variety of phone choices
    08-30-2013 05:01 PM
    When I hear people say that options and choices for customization is intimidating, I always wish I could watch them try to order at Burger King where you can "Have it your way!"

What we obviously need is a fast food joint that offers 3 different sizes of the same burger. No fries, no drinks, just 3 sizes of the same exact thing. That way people don't have to be troubled with those terrifying choices and options
    jaleesag88 likes this.
    08-30-2013 05:27 PM
    When I hear people say that options and choices for customization is intimidating, I always wish I could watch them try to order at Burger King where you can "Have it your way!"

What we obviously need is a fast food joint that offers 3 different sizes of the same burger. No fries, no drinks, just 3 sizes of the same exact thing. That way people don't have to be troubled with those terrifying choices and options
    Better yet, could we order them with sounds? So for a number one it'll be: uuuuuuuuuuurg! Okay sir, anything else? Hurbbbbbb, HURBBBBBBBB! right away sir, I'll super size that!

Posted by The Android Central app
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-30-2013 05:37 PM
    I really really love Google Play Music. It is like $7.99 a month and has like every song/album I could ever want. I highly recommend it for anyone that loves mobile music. I throw on Play Music and run everyday.
    I agree 100%. This is one of the best things google has done this year. Can't beat 8 dollars for EVERY song u can think of. They even have mixtapes and remixes can't beat that.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    08-30-2013 05:48 PM
    I really like Google play music as well, but I use spotify because you can keep signing up for the free trial and have premium. It doesn't record your device number so you can make unlimited accounts. You didn't hear that from me though

U can for all access as well.

08-30-2013 05:50 PM
    U can for all access as well.

Oh really? Sweet! But then I would need legit Google accounts, that would take forever. I just make up stupid names for emails on spotify and it always works

08-30-2013 05:56 PM
    Well, an iPhone can be jailbroken and you can customize the hell out of it too! The Lag issue is well documented man! And I used Android for 3 years before the switch to iOS and rooted all my phones too so I know what I am talking about.
    Well my mid level lg doesn't lag at all. Why is that???? And the only reason I rooted was for tethering purposes.

08-30-2013 06:02 PM
    Oh really? Sweet! But then I would need legit Google accounts, that would take forever. I just make up stupid names for emails on spotify and it always works

No u don't bro. All u need to do is make up another gmail. 30 seconds.

08-30-2013 06:10 PM
    Yes there is positives with both. Seeing you like the s4 already, have you looked at the new galaxy tablets? They're like tablets that were hand crafted in heaven!

I have a Note 8.0. It is full of lag. Lag, lag, lag.
    08-30-2013 06:18 PM
    A couple of points to address as I read through the thread:

-If you don't like the cloud thing, don't use it. Get the MP3 and put it on your phone. Now your music is offline with you. I don't know why people need to make things more difficult than they have to be.
    -Great input OhAlfie. The adults are talking, so you hush.
    -Android is not "laggy" as of 4.1 when they introduced "Project Butter" (as in the phone is meant to run butter smooth all the time.) That "well documented" stuff is years old, when it actually had merit. Now it doesn't. At least, well-done Android devices don't. Samsung seems to be too intent on shoving as much superfluous crap into their stuff as they can instead of addressing actual issues. This is not someone with an HTC One talking, this is someone who did a lot of research before dropping $730 (bought it outright) on a device.
    -iOS is a good system if you want to get the phone out of the box and get up and running with it. Android is good if you're an endless tinkerer who needs to customize everything to your exact specifications. They're both good in their own right, depending on what you need them for. At the end of the day, they both get email, internet, play games and make calls. Pick what you like and then worry about you and not what everyone else picked. However...
    -Don't lie. You cannot "customize the hell out of an iPhone" by jailbreaking it. That is ridiculous. You can customize it some more than usual. If you really want to customize, just get an android. Much less painful that way.
    -If you want to tether, you need to pay for that. If you think the phone companies don't know what goes on on their own network, there is no hope for you. They will find out, thy will change your contract to include tethering and bill you for it, and when they do, don't get pissed off that they did it.
    pablohoney46 likes this.
    08-30-2013 06:23 PM
    - docking stations and chargers are limited. hardly any on the market
    Why do you want a third-party charger? Those are just dangerous and provide no benefit.

- Kies, isyncr and other music transfer apps are awful. they freeze and crash, don't transfer what you want etc
    Where are you transferring things to/from? What's wrong with just using your computer's file manager to transfer files?

- Google play is awful - I buy a song but it stays in the cloud and can't listen to it unless with good signal etc. so I have to go through extra steps to download to the s4 direct. why it doesn't do that by default I don't know.
    Extra steps? All you do is tap the "pin" button.

- battery life is appalling
    What settings do you have? Battery life will be appalling if you have Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, Wi-Fi, and mobile data on, and full brightness, etc.

new iPhone that has far better support in terms of ancillaries and download of music
    I think you mean "new iPhone that does things in a different way than the GS4".
    08-30-2013 06:40 PM

Well, that's touchwiz. Carbon rom solves all problems.

08-30-2013 06:54 PM
    A couple of points to address as I read through the thread:

-If you don't like the cloud thing, don't use it. Get the MP3 and put it on your phone. Now your music is offline with you. I don't know why people need to make things more difficult than they have to be.
    -Great input OhAlfie. The adults are talking, so you hush.
    -Android is not "laggy" as of 4.1 when they introduced "Project Butter" (as in the phone is meant to run butter smooth all the time.) That "well documented" stuff is years old, when it actually had merit. Now it doesn't. At least, well-done Android devices don't. Samsung seems to be too intent on shoving as much superfluous crap into their stuff as they can instead of addressing actual issues. This is not someone with an HTC One talking, this is someone who did a lot of research before dropping $730 (bought it outright) on a device.
    -iOS is a good system if you want to get the phone out of the box and get up and running with it. Android is good if you're an endless tinkerer who needs to customize everything to your exact specifications. They're both good in their own right, depending on what you need them for. At the end of the day, they both get email, internet, play games and make calls. Pick what you like and then worry about you and not what everyone else picked. However...
    -Don't lie. You cannot "customize the hell out of an iPhone" by jailbreaking it. That is ridiculous. You can customize it some more than usual. If you really want to customize, just get an android. Much less painful that way.
    -If you want to tether, you need to pay for that. If you think the phone companies don't know what goes on on their own network, there is no hope for you. They will find out, thy will change your contract to include tethering and bill you for it, and when they do, don't get pissed off that they did it.
    I will say Android has come a long way, the lag is nonexistent If you know what you're doing. However, this also comes down to apps. The Facebook app is terrible, it lags. Is that androids fault? No. And Samsung doesn't "shove as much superfluous crap into their stuff as they can instead of addressing actual issues." they have been addressing issues quickly and releasing updates. Touchwiz still has its issues (which is why I run custom), but it's not that bad. Samsung cares about the customers, that's why they try to fix any mistake made. The Samsung thing is the only thing I disagree with you on, otherwise you nailed everything spot on.

08-30-2013 07:01 PM
    I think we would see more people switch from Iphones if we saw more devices like the Nexus or even Google Edition Phone. They are the iphones of the Android world and are much easier to work than something with touchwiz and all of Samsungs custom apps.
    08-30-2013 07:05 PM
    As for battery, my wife has an iPhone 5 and I have an S4 and the battery life we both get is pretty similar. There's nothing magical about the iPhone battery life.
    Except that the iPhone 5 battery is about 1400 mah and the S4 is around 2600. So the i5 must be magical.
    08-30-2013 07:16 PM
    I think we would see more people switch from Iphones if we saw more devices like the Nexus or even Google Edition Phone. They are the iphones of the Android world and are much easier to work than something with touchwiz and all of Samsungs custom apps.
    Usually yes, but most people won't be willing to drop $650 for a Google edition phone. It's a good idea, but these devices don't really appeal to the general public due to the price.

08-30-2013 07:24 PM
    Except that the iPhone 5 battery is about 1400 mah and the S4 is around 2600. So the i5 must be magical.
    Bigger screen, more magic. The s4 has more magic than the iPhone so it needs a bigger battery =)

return_0 likes this.
    08-30-2013 07:26 PM
    Usually yes, but most people won't be willing to drop $650 for a Google edition phone. It's a good idea, but these devices don't really appeal to the general public due to the price.

The iPhone and GS4 are also $650... and the Nexus 4 is only $199/$249.
    08-30-2013 07:30 PM
    The iPhone and GS4 are also $650... and the Nexus 4 is only $199/$249.
    You have to remember, those are off contract prices and people don't buy phones like that usually. The only way to get a Google edition or Nexus phone is through the Play Store, and that can get pricy. People would much rather drop $200 on contract for a Samsung or HTC phone

08-30-2013 07:34 PM
    You have to remember, those are off contract prices and people don't buy phones like that usually. The only way to get a Google edition or Nexus phone is through the Play Store, and that can get pricy. People would much rather drop $200 on contract for a Samsung or HTC phone

But when you buy the phone unlocked, you can get a much cheaper plan (example: $70 for unlimited everything compared to $150 for unlimited talk and text, 10GB data). So while most people don't phones unlocked, doing so will save you a huge heap of money.
    08-30-2013 07:36 PM
    But when you buy the phone unlocked, you can get a much cheaper plan (example: $70 for unlimited everything compared to $150 for unlimited talk and text, 10GB data). So while most people don't phones unlocked, doing so will save you a huge heap of money.
    Your are correct, but it's a lot to pay upfront. It will save money in the long run, but it's a huge cost when you buy the phone. I had to drop $550 for a Galaxy when my iPhone got stolen and I had just begun my contract, it sucks and it's a real hit on the wallet for some people.

08-30-2013 07:39 PM
    I still buy music in iTunes but use Google play music manager to match and upload my library. In Google play you can "pin" your music to your phone storage. It allows you to play the music you select offline and it's all free unlike iTunes match.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-30-2013 08:45 PM
    I have zero lag on my Note 8, it performs better than my S4.
    08-30-2013 09:58 PM
    My partner and I upgraded from iPhone 5's to the S4 in late May. It honestly took me about one month to be 100% 'happy' with the phone (I was constantly comparing it to my iPhone). My partner was quicker to adapt to the S4 (in just days he was used to it, but he does not have his customised and does not really use any third party apps). I think what the OP and other new comers to Android need to remember is that the S4 (or any other Android device) IS NOT an iPhone.

To the OP - in regards to your comment "S4 not as good as an iPhone" - it is not that the S4 is not as good as the iPhone, it is that they are completely different and it will take time to adjust.

Our household is also completely Apple, but both my partner and I would not go back to using an iPhone at this time. I sold my iPad; when I use my son's iPad, it sort of feels weird after using Android. I am currently deciding which Android Tablet to purchase this weekend (I am tossing up between the Tab3 8", Note 8 and Nexus 2013).

One more thing. For those who are Mac users, I suggest NOT using Samsung Kies, and instead using Android File Transfer. Make sure you do not have both installed at the same time as Kies will conflict with AFT.
    Johnly and pablohoney46 like this.
    08-30-2013 10:31 PM
    Well my mid level lg doesn't lag at all. Why is that???? And the only reason I rooted was for tethering purposes.

An LG Escape with no lag? Lol, especially if it has ICS!
    08-30-2013 10:44 PM
921 12345 ...