12-11-2013 11:14 PM
921 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Android is not "laggy" as of 4.1 when they introduced "Project Butter" (as in the phone is meant to run butter smooth all the time.) That "well documented" stuff is years old, when it actually had merit. Now it doesn't. At least, well-done Android devices don't.
    According to what I have read, the only "non-laggy" Android phones are the newest Moto's (X, Ultra, Maxx), and possibly the Nexus 4. Everything else has lag, or you have to turn off all the features to make them smooth. This is still "well documented".
    That being said, if Moto will fix the camera, I will have a X as my next phone.
    08-30-2013 10:52 PM
    Bigger screen, more magic. The s4 has more magic than the iPhone so it needs a bigger battery =)

Posted by The Android Central app
    Not enough magic that it should need twice the battery to be equal in battery life.
    08-30-2013 10:54 PM
    I have zero lag on my Note 8, it performs better than my S4.
    Really?! Is it the AT&T LTE version? Did you root it? Replace the ROM?

Sent from my humble S4
    08-30-2013 11:16 PM
    According to what I have read, the only "non-laggy" Android phones are the newest Moto's (X, Ultra, Maxx), and possibly the Nexus 4. Everything else has lag, or you have to turn off all the features to make them smooth. This is still "well documented".
    I must be oblivious to the lag. I don't notice it on my S4. ...at all.

Sent from my humble S4
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    08-30-2013 11:18 PM
    I must be oblivious to the lag. I don't notice it on my S4. ...at all.

Sent from my humble S4
    It's a crap shoot as far as lag on the S4 goes. Some have it, and some don't. But S4 lag is "well documented".
    08-30-2013 11:22 PM
    who is say S$ its not good ....its too good very lovely Android Phone with ultimate functions also Hardware is too best with World Best Brand Samsung ,,, with lots of support after buy from any where ....... iPhone have very limited accessibility as android have not limitation u can customize superbly it ..... i suggest Android S4 much better...... bit every thing to iPhone
    08-30-2013 11:34 PM
    The only lag on Android phones (which really is only Samsung phones by now) comes from the manufacturer overlay, not Android itself. So you cannot say that Android is laggy, only that TouchWiz is. The Nexus 4 proves this.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    08-30-2013 11:44 PM
    Really?! Is it the AT&T LTE version? Did you root it? Replace the ROM?

Sent from my humble S4
    No, ATT LTE version. Only thing I could think of is that the lack of all the gimmicks that are on the S4 makes up for it. Also seems that the Note 8 has better ram usage than the S4 because of that fact.

If you are talking about gaming, I don't do anything heavy like that on it.
    08-30-2013 11:44 PM
    Interesting, here's my take, I have the S4 as my personal phone and the IP5 for my work phone. I have lag issues on the IP5, not on my S4. The only thing I like about the IP5 is the Notes app (had to go and get one for the S4 right after we got to using our IP5's at work) and Itunes, I really like that app. other then that, I get more use out of my S4 then the IP5 as I can set it up to be productive for my needs. Mainly for the ability to organize several gigs of photos into files, cant do that on the IP5. Also, the IP5 is on sprint, and currently we only get 3G, I have Verizon on the S4 with 4G. As a basic phone, the IP5 is like all the others, it does the job, but for my needs, the S4 is the best choice.
    08-31-2013 01:05 AM
    iPhone is so limited I think and iTunes Sucks
    08-31-2013 01:26 AM
    How much will you be asking for your S4? If reasonable, leave me a message....thank you.
    08-31-2013 02:08 AM
    Not enough magic that it should need twice the battery to be equal in battery life.
    The magic is actual multitasking. That and actually having a file system that you can go in to.

The thread title should have been, "Why doesn't this turn on and do everything for me?" Reading a little on how to do things on your new device will go far. It's sad that people expect things to just be so simple without any instruction. My girlfriend switched from iPhone to Android a couple months back and everything has been a smooth transition and she loves her S4 MUCH more than her iPhone 5. It's all personal preference but, just like already stated, if you want freedom to do more than just what Apple tells you to do, Android is the right choice. I've used a MBP for 5 years and as of about 3 years ago, I despised even opening up iTunes. Worst music program ever, especially with the new changes. Google Music Player: Click on the pin to download...I don't get how that is difficult. I would rather purchase content and have the OPTION of downloading instead of it just automatically downloading to my device. That's the beauty of Android and personal opinion, though, because it's a matter of choice.
    08-31-2013 02:18 AM
    I have to disagree with the statement that syncing music and photos is harder on the S4. I had an iPod touch for 5 years and got used to having to transfer music and photos via ITunes. Transferring videos was basically a waste of time because of the vagaries of what iOS wanted a video to be. Now on Android to basically be able to drag and drop any mp3, jpg or video (in any format) and have it simply work... is a revelation. I'll never go back to Apple.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-31-2013 03:18 AM
    An LG Escape with no lag? Lol, especially if it has ICS!
    I'm on 4.1.2 bro lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    08-31-2013 03:34 AM
    As far as I know, the LG Optimus Pro, HTC One, LG G2, Galaxy Nexus (post 4.2.x) (the one I'm ditching is amazing now, much better than it was out of the box, I'm on stock 4.3) and Oppo Find 5 are on that list as well. I haven't personally used the Op Pro or G2 so I'm not sure, but I've seen terrific reviews for the Pro from users here and the G2 is looking pretty amazing. But the problem is, that's a total of... what, 10 phones out of how many released in the past couple years? OEM's have a long way to go to raise that ratio up to the perception of Apple standards.
    08-31-2013 05:12 AM
    It's a crap shoot as far as lag on the S4 goes. Some have it, and some don't. But S4 lag is "well documented".
    I was told that a recent update to the AT&T version has corrected many of the issues, but I haven't witnessed that yet myself.
    08-31-2013 05:13 AM
    How many 2 year old Android phones still get updates when they are 2 years old?
    I can think of three off the top of my head, all 3 are Samsung though. One of the directional changes of Android is that Google is beginning to release critical features as apps and updates to Google Play Services, rather than relying on carriers and OEM's to collaborate on firmware upgrades. This has brought several features to devices much older than two years and the next iteration, Key Lime Pie, is expected to forward this trend as well as create more performance enhancements for lower spec'd devices to create a higher end more universal experience on a global scale, particularly in countries where the socioeconomic underpinnings do not allow access to $600 devices every 6-12 months.
    08-31-2013 05:21 AM
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on the chargers point. Apple does enjoy a great deal of third party support, but microUSB is everywhere. Especially compared the the newer lightning connector. microUSB is currently the most common DC delivery port out there, having overtaken miniUSB and barrel jacks a while ago.

Apple does enjoy a bit of an advantage when it comes to docks, but I'd much rather use the Qi charging back with the S4 and use an inductive charging pad than a dock anyway. YMMV.
    The iphone does do digital audio through its charging cable though. That is an awesome feature that is often over looked. I hope android (or device manufacturers) implement this feature in the near future.
    08-31-2013 05:36 AM
    As far as I know, the LG Optimus Pro, HTC One, LG G2, Galaxy Nexus (post 4.2.x) (the one I'm ditching is amazing now, much better than it was out of the box, I'm on stock 4.3) and Oppo Find 5 are on that list as well. I haven't personally used the Op Pro or G2 so I'm not sure, but I've seen terrific reviews for the Pro from users here and the G2 is looking pretty amazing. But the problem is, that's a total of... what, 10 phones out of how many released in the past couple years? OEM's have a long way to go to raise that ratio up to the perception of Apple standards.
    Yeah, I missed those phones. But, like you said, that is a few phones out of hundreds that have been released, whereas you will hardly ever see a laggy iPhone. Give Apple credit, as they have gotten it right for several years.
    08-31-2013 06:04 AM
    I'm on 4.1.2 bro lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    Still a laggy version. But if you really are lag-free, consider yourself unique, as you are probably the only Escape owner on the planet with no lag! j/k
    08-31-2013 07:38 AM
    I thought long and hard about leaving my iPhone. I wanted a change, a new style of phone. all of the comments I have read on this forum and others convinced me there was no reason to not change. oh dear what have I done!!
    As far as the operating system goes fine. but -
    - docking stations and chargers are limited. hardly any on the market
    - Kies, isyncr and other music transfer apps are awful. they freeze and crash, don't transfer what you want etc
    - Google play is awful - I buy a song but it stays in the cloud and can't listen to it unless with good signal etc. so I have to go through extra steps to download to the s4 direct. why it doesn't do that by default I don't know. once on the device I can only play using the default music player - can't find any downloaded Google play music on my rocket player. so I used iTunes to buy and download on my PC and then go through the painful process of transferring to my s4
    - battery life is appalling

as a camera it is superb and it is great to have an SD card. but I will be selling to fund purchase of new iPhone that has far better support in terms of ancillaries and download of music
    samsung phones are a horrible representation of what an android phone can be.
    08-31-2013 07:55 AM
    A couple of points to address as I read through the thread:

-If you don't like the cloud thing, don't use it. Get the MP3 and put it on your phone. Now your music is offline with you. I don't know why people need to make things more difficult than they have to be.
    -Great input OhAlfie. The adults are talking, so you hush.
    -Android is not "laggy" as of 4.1 when they introduced "Project Butter" (as in the phone is meant to run butter smooth all the time.) That "well documented" stuff is years old, when it actually had merit. Now it doesn't. At least, well-done Android devices don't. Samsung seems to be too intent on shoving as much superfluous crap into their stuff as they can instead of addressing actual issues. This is not someone with an HTC One talking, this is someone who did a lot of research before dropping $730 (bought it outright) on a device.
    -iOS is a good system if you want to get the phone out of the box and get up and running with it. Android is good if you're an endless tinkerer who needs to customize everything to your exact specifications. They're both good in their own right, depending on what you need them for. At the end of the day, they both get email, internet, play games and make calls. Pick what you like and then worry about you and not what everyone else picked. However...
    -Don't lie. You cannot "customize the hell out of an iPhone" by jailbreaking it. That is ridiculous. You can customize it some more than usual. If you really want to customize, just get an android. Much less painful that way.
    -If you want to tether, you need to pay for that. If you think the phone companies don't know what goes on on their own network, there is no hope for you. They will find out, thy will change your contract to include tethering and bill you for it, and when they do, don't get pissed off that they did it.
    You actually can customize the hell out of an iPhone jailbroken. I still switched to android and still love it but that was not a lie.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    08-31-2013 08:01 AM
    I'd say it's much more "well rumored" than it is actually documented. People are still talking about their extremely limited experience with outdated firmware as if it were fact.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-31-2013 08:04 AM
    I think the HTC one is the competitor to the iPhone. S4 is reliable in quality and has removable battery+SD card slot, but the HTC One is the feature enriched one.
    08-31-2013 08:13 AM
    I made the switch from an iphone 5 to the HTC one just a couple weeks ago and I am happy that I did. I've been watching android for awhile and have had the itch to try it so I decided that if I could find a good enough deal on ebay that if I don't like it, I could recoup my money and if I did, I could sell my iphone and cover the new phone. I wasn't immediately in love with android but the more I use it, the more I love it.

First, let me explain why I wanted the change. Overall, I was pretty happy with my iphone but I really wanted a larger screen and the ability to set what app is the default app to be used (e.g., you click on an address and it shows it in google maps instead of apple maps). Also, I am extremely disappointed in ios 7. I think the new control center is great and the new cards like multi-tasking is definitely an upgrade but other than that, mostly everything else is visual and I think it looks ugly. And I'm not just talking about the icons (which I don't think are that big of a deal). The stock apps that I liked just look terrible.

I know you switched to an S4 and I can't speak to that phone since I went with the HTC One, but I can speak as someone that has made the big switch. Just a couple thoughts:

1. I did a conversion of my HTC One sense version to the google play edition (will get the google play edition OTA updates also) and I am glad that I did. I think stock android is much better. From now on, I don't think I will be able to have android and not go with either a google play edition or a nexus. It is cleaner, faster, and you get the big updates timely. Also, I have never once noticed lag with this phone. (for those that are going to say just root and get it, I can't root because my work email (good for enterprise) won't work then)

2. Notifications and multi-tasking with android are so much better. Notifications are more helpful and you can do so much more with them. I love that I can tell an app to do something, leave it and do something else, and go back to the app and see that it did it.

3. Apps - I pretty much downloaded all the same apps that I had on my iphone and about 95% of them are pretty much exactly the same except on a bigger screen. I don't feel like app quality has been an issue. If anything, with the larger screen, apps feel like they are a higher quality. If you ever used the kindle app to read on an iphone and then do it on a 4.7 in or 5 in screen, it is night and day.

4. Battery Life - Not as good as an iphone but I still make it through an entire day easily. I can get 5 to 6 hours screen time (not rooted) on one charge. I leave data, wifi, and location services on also.

5. It is a pain to transfer everything over from iTunes, but once you do, it isn't bad. I found that isyncr did not do a good job and I don't really care for good play music. I simply connected my phone to my computer and dragged and dropped all my music. I use PowerAmp to play my music. It is an awesome music app.

6. For all that make the argument that you can do everything one handed with an iphone, the HTC one and S4 are really not that much bigger in size than the iphone 5. I don't have large hands but I feel like I can pretty much still do everything one handed.

Those are just some thoughts. Android isn't for everyone just like iphone isn't for everyone. Will I ever switch back to an iphone? Maybe if the screen was larger and they made some more progress but I don't see that happening for awhile. I use to cringe when I saw android fans say that apple does not innovate. Now that I am using true innovation, I look at my ipad and back on my experience with have iphones for several years, and it really is true that apple just is really slow at bringing new, meaningful features. Some say that apple is being smart and not taking the Samsung approach of just throwing everything against the wall and seeing what sticks. I personally think that apple knows they can make a lot of money without doing more and just don't care.

Anyways, android may not be for everyone but it is a really great OS. I am sold on it and I was against it for so long.
    08-31-2013 08:23 AM
921 ... 23456 ...