S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

Everyone realizes we're talking about two completely different design and marketing paradigms, right? That makes it incredibly subjective to claim one is better than the other, and basically reduces most arguments to, "better at (insert specific task or task group)", which makes it at best usage cluster representation and at the foundation turns these talking points, into, "I like (insert whatever)". There really isn't a wholesale objective victory to be had.

There are many positives of the Apple strategy that Android OEM's would do well to observe, and there are many feature innovations that Apple is clearly observing from other operating systems while they refine the experience for introduction into their core user base. This is exactly what we want... different lines of thinking, competing against each other creating mutual advancement on both sides of the debate so that everyone's feature set and user experience grows more optimized, proficient and ultimately: a more pleasing interface that lets the device disappear and the content and social engagement be the focus.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Jerry, where did I post a personal insult or attack? The first post that you have listed is not mine, and I don't see an attack or insult in mine. Help me to understand. Thanks.

You stated that people on the east couldn't afford iPhones or something like that.. Which was kinda pathetic.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I would still like to know how it is so far behind. Granted, there are extra steps to share, but not a big deal. It is still the smoothest phone on the market, and performs better than most, even with 1GB of RAM and a dual-core processor. And it is still the best selling single phone in the U.S.
Don't get me wrong, as I love Android too. I've had more Android phones than I can count. But, for a change, I do enjoy the stability, fluidity, and smoothness of iOS. Also, the guaranteed updates, which never happens on Android.

It's far behind because it doesn't live up to the expectations it should. Apple, if I can remember right, didn't even have LTE until the iPhone 5. That's kinda sad, seeing android phones have had it for a good amount of time. Also, even though ios is greatly optimized (which isn't that hard to do when you only pump a REAL upgrade out once every 2 years), it has out of date hardware. The processor clock has been greatly surpassed, and so has the screen size and ppi.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

It's far behind because it doesn't live up to the expectations it should. Apple, if I can remember right, didn't even have LTE until the iPhone 5. That's kinda sad, seeing android phones have had it for a good amount of time. Also, even though ios is greatly optimized (which isn't that hard to do when you only pump a REAL upgrade out once every 2 years), it has out of date hardware. The processor clock has been greatly surpassed, and so has the screen size and ppi.

I really think that Apple held off on LTE till they could employ it without killing the battery, which is what was happening on the LTE Android (except for the Maxx). Once they got it optimized, they implemented it.
And yes, other phones have surpassed it in processor cores and clock speed, but only since the new Motorola phones has it been realized that optimization of hardware and software is the key. This is something that Apple has been doing for years, and I am glad to see that they have taken a page out of Apple's book. The Moto X will probably be my next phone, if the camera improves.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I really think that Apple held off on LTE till they could employ it without killing the battery, which is what was happening on the LTE Android (except for the Maxx). Once they got it optimized, they implemented it.
And yes, other phones have surpassed it in processor cores and clock speed, but only since the new Motorola phones has it been realized that optimization of hardware and software is the key. This is something that Apple has been doing for years, and I am glad to see that they have taken a page out of Apple's book. The Moto X will probably be my next phone, if the camera improves.

I can see why apple held off LTE. If they didn't take 5 million years to make it apple, it might have drained the tiny no bigger than 1,440 mAh battery. Sorry, that's just my opinion of apple (as you can see I don't like them very much). Anyway, I'm glad you may get the Moto X, it's a wonderful phone.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

I would still like to know how it is so far behind. Granted, there are extra steps to share, but not a big deal. It is still the smoothest phone on the market, and performs better than most, even with 1GB of RAM and a dual-core processor. And it is still the best selling single phone in the U.S.
Don't get me wrong, as I love Android too. I've had more Android phones than I can count. But, for a change, I do enjoy the stability, fluidity, and smoothness of iOS. Also, the guaranteed updates, which never happens on Android.

Best marketed phone in the US caused a cult-like following. Apple has a way of making people buy it because of the name. Not saying it's not a good product, but they're not really cutting edge at this point. Also iOS has more crashed apps than Android, my devices have been fluid and smooth as well. The updates that I've needed are now being released as a form of app instead firmware (which is amazing). Apple doesn't need fast specs for their phones because they don't multitask like the Android OS does. One thing that bugs me about such a "wonderful OS" is the lack of a file system. I don't think I could do without Astro or the stock my files on my Android system. Then again, Apple isn't meant to be something let you do anything with, it's designed to let you do what Apple wants you to do with the phone. Which is fine for some, but I would rather have freedom to operate my smartphone like a computer, hence Android as my weapon of choice.

For clarification, I've owned a 15" custom ordered MBP for the last 5 years and love it, but I'm not a fan of their mobile OS.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Comparing Apple and Google, iOS and Android, and the iPhone and the leading Android flagships has become increasingly difficult over the past year and a half. On one hand, you have a very refined, polished product (iOS, iPhone ? regardless of feature set), and on the other an open-source operating system driven by increasing innovation on Google's part (see: 2.3 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.3, Cast API, new UI and UX approaches (Maps, Music, Drive, Hangouts, YouTube, Now, etc.)). No, not every aspect of the things I've listed is revolutionary, innovative, or even significant. But when I look at the picture we can see of what Google's doing versus that of Apple, I see much more modern technology innovation from Google than I do from Apple.

I'd love for that conclusion to become less clear for a while ? remember, competition and innovation both favor the consumer ? and see what happens. Thankfully, it looks like we'll be getting that with iOS 7, at least to some degree. As Chetan said above, there's plenty in the works on Apple's side. It doesn't matter if some or all of the changes are present in some form in Android. It's about shaking things up, adding some competition, and trying to advance the industry or push it in a new direction. Peter Drucker said, "if you want something new, you have to stop doing something old," which is fairly straightforward.

There's one more very important fact that should be noted here: Android can be altered by OEMs. No, I'm not going into a discussion on fragmentation here. The key point is that Android equipment manufacturers are not bound to any innovative efforts on the part of Google. Samsung doesn't like Google's stock launcher or UI? See TouchWiz. Now, this isn't necessarily a downside; without this ability, the Moto X most certainly wouldn't be as high-profile of a device (it'd be running stock Android, without Motorola's unique features). Don't put Android OEMs (Samsung, for example) and their products (TouchWiz Galaxy S4) in the same spot as Google when debating innovation, industry positioning, or any of that. By doing that, you aren't acknowledging what is both Android's key strength and its key weakness. Third-party customizations of Android can be better, and they can be worse.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Have you heard of the Nexus 4? Or any other non-CDMA Nexus phone, for that matter? They get immediate updates...

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Plus its plenty of other phones that last with LTE.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Have you heard of the Nexus 4? Or any other non-CDMA Nexus phone, for that matter? They get immediate updates...

And they are the only ones. A one to two year old non-Nexus phone is lucky to get any updates. Basically, any iPhone ever made is still getting updates, although they may be partial updates because of hardware limitations.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Plus its plenty of other phones that last with LTE.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

My point was basically about optimization, which Android has never done until Motorola has recently done it. I think that is one of the biggest reasons that an iPhone, with a 1440 mah battery, gets as good as or better battery life than other phones with much larger batteries. It is also the reason why the Moto X performance is as good as, or better, than the high-end Androids, IMHO.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I missed those phones. But, like you said, that is a few phones out of hundreds that have been released, whereas you will hardly ever see a laggy iPhone. Give Apple credit, as they have gotten it right for several years.

There are lots of people that would say they have gotten it wrong for several years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12