S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

And they are the only ones. A one to two year old non-Nexus phone is lucky to get any updates. Basically, any iPhone ever made is still getting updates, although they may be partial updates because of hardware limitations.

Yes, but you are forgetting about completely custom. Since Android is open sourced, custom roms are available. If you have a popular one installed (such as cyanogenmod or carbon), you are guaranteed fast and smooth updates to the latest os. Granted not many people run custom, but that doesn't mean you can't get the updates you want If you try. Really, the only thing the iPhone has that trumps android (except for the Moto x) is superior optimization. However, I'm sure that will change.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

There are lots of people that would say they have gotten it wrong for several years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

And vice-versa.:)

Watch the September announcement and release, and it will show how many think they got it right.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

And vice-versa.:)

Watch the September announcement and release, and it will show how many think they got it right.

People are addicted to apple, some of them literally worship their products like a religion. Apple could release the iTurd and people will faint of excitement. They are absolutely blinded.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

People are addicted to apple, some of them literally worship their products like a religion. Apple could release the iTurd and people will faint of excitement. They are absolutely blinded.

The same could be said about some android fans. It really just depends on what is best for that users need. If someone feels that iPhone produces the best product that suits their needs, whether for reliability, bundles, user friendly interface, etc, they tend to develop a brand recognition and appreciation. Especially with so many electronic products in the market; phones, casters, laptops, desktops, music players, hotspots, etc. It's actually a really good marketing ploy. It isn't quite as easy for android, since it is open platform and there is such a vast variety of manufacturers. But you can start to see brand recognition and appreciation in the Samsung line, some HTC, and most recently in the LG line. As more manufacturers dedicate themselves to one line of devices, they will develop a more loyal fan base as users find what they need in that line of devices.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Pot.Meet.Kettle.
Android users are getting just as bad now. Personally, I like both platforms, and I use what feels best for my use. Basically, I e-mail, text, and make phone calls, and nothing does those things any better than an iPhone. But there might be a Moto X in my future.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Pot.Meet.Kettle.
Android users are getting just as bad now. Personally, I like both platforms, and I use what feels best for my use. Basically, I e-mail, text, and make phone calls, and nothing does those things any better than an iPhone. But there might be a Moto X in my future.

Maybe not even enthusiasm for their platform but rather a hatred of all things apple. Kind of silly actually. Spend your money on what you want and allow others the same without silly insults.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
The same could be said about some android fans. It really just depends on what is best for that users need. If someone feels that iPhone produces the best product that suits their needs, whether for reliability, bundles, user friendly interface, etc, they tend to develop a brand recognition and appreciation. Especially with so many electronic products in the market; phones, casters, laptops, desktops, music players, hotspots, etc. It's actually a really good marketing ploy. It isn't quite as easy for android, since it is open platform and there is such a vast variety of manufacturers. But you can start to see brand recognition and appreciation in the Samsung line, some HTC, and most recently in the LG line. As more manufacturers dedicate themselves to one line of devices, they will develop a more loyal fan base as users find what they need in that line of devices.

What? There will always be "addicted fans" for any leading product but don't compare Apple to Android fans. From what I've seen on android central even if most of us defend our phone, we do it with facts and try to be as reazonable as possible. Of couse there are always exceptions. We don't state the fact that our product is Apple and therefore it's better that anything you own just because of the name. We debate software, hardware, camera, battery, updates, ram, cores, display, screen buttons, physical home buttons, battery, infrared, storage, microphone, speakers and way more. Try to argue with an Apple fan and they will say, oh its Apple so you know, its obviously better. And I wasn't even bashing Apple they have great products, but obviously I prefer Android.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

What? There will always be "addicted fans" for any leading product but don't compare Apple to Android fans. From what I've seen on android central even if most of us defend our phone, we do it with facts and try to be as reazonable as possible. Of couse there are always exceptions. We don't state the fact that our product is Apple and therefore it better that anything you own just because of the name. We debate software, hardware, camera, battery, updates, ram, cores, display, screen buttons, physical home buttons, battery, infrared, storage, microphone, speakers and way more. Try to argue with an Apple fan and they will say, oh its Apple so you know, its obviously better. And I wasn't even bashing Apple they have great products, but obviously I prefer Android.

Let me direct you back to my first sentence, seventh word. "Some." That is the deciding factor. There are also many, many, iPhone users who don't "blindly" defend apple. The small majority that do are about equal to the small majority of android users who do. Like you said, there are always exceptions. It was those exceptions I was speaking of. What you are speaking of is brand recognition, which is not the same as device or technological recognition, ie, what most android fans argue about per you. We were speaking about brand recognition.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

What? There will always be "addicted fans" for any leading product but don't compare Apple to Android fans. From what I've seen on android central even if most of us defend our phone, we do it with facts and try to be as reazonable as possible. Of couse there are always exceptions. We don't state the fact that our product is Apple and therefore it better that anything you own just because of the name. We debate software, hardware, camera, battery, updates, ram, cores, display, screen buttons, physical home buttons, battery, infrared, storage, microphone, speakers and way more. Try to argue with an Apple fan and they will say, oh its Apple so you know, its obviously better. And I wasn't even bashing Apple they have great products, but obviously I prefer Android.

I remember arguing with a friend who has an iPhone 5 about which of our phones was better. I use an s3 (although I usually hang out in the s4 forums), and all he had to say to prove his device was better was that it was apple and it had a retina display. Of course I backed the s3 up by saying "Well, sure it's apple, but that doesn't make it the best phone on the market. Your iPhone has less processing power than my phone, a smaller screen, washed out colors, less features, limited customization and most importantly a lighting port that Apple has made just to be Apple and screw with the universal micro USB plan that is trying to be implemented." after I said that, all he had to say was "screw you! Apple designs the best products on earth, Samsung keeps stealing things from them! They even stole the CONTROL CENTER from us!". I don't speak to him anymore obviously, that control center thing made him sound so stupid

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Let me direct you back to my first sentence, seventh word. "Some." That is the deciding factor. There are also many, many, iPhone users who don't "blindly" defend apple. The small majority that do are about equal to the small majority of android users who do. Like you said, there are always exceptions. It was those exceptions I was speaking of. What you are speaking of is brand recognition, which is not the same as device or technological recognition, ie, what most android fans argue about per you. We were speaking about brand recognition.

That's not necessarily true. In my experience, many many more people blindly defend Apple. They don't even have the proper specs to back it up. You see, apple has a cult basically. I remember watching one of the wwdc videos and I remember somebody saying "I recently just bought a mac and love it. The features, the hardware, everything is amazing. I'm glad to be apart of this ecosystem and great community." he referred to it as a community, that screams cult. And honestly, that's all apple is, a overhyped cult with devoted followers.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

That's not necessarily true. In my experience, many many more people blindly defend Apple. They don't even have the proper specs to back it up. You see, apple has a cult basically. I remember watching one of the wwdc videos and I remember somebody saying "I recently just bought a mac and love it. The features, the hardware, everything is amazing. I'm glad to be apart of this ecosystem and great community." he referred to it as a community, that screams cult. And honestly, that's all apple is, a overhyped cult with devoted followers.

I refer to android as a community quite frequently lol. Does that make android have a cult as well? A community is a group of people with a common denominator, whether it be likes, dislikes, operating system..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

The one single thing that I miss from my iOS devices that I no longer ever use since the switch to Android is the lightning connector. It is a vastly better design than micro-usb, and a really beautiful piece of engineering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

This could be because Apple users seem to tend to be less into their hardware than android folks. Some Android folks actually feel the need to "defend" their phone should someone offer a criticism. Don't beleive that? Suggest to an HTC One owner that there their phone is not all metal and watch what happens. I'm not sure the majority of iOS users feel quite so strong about their devices, but I'm surethere are some that do.

Though my phone is not part of me, it's just a tool I use and a source of entertainment, I do enjoy the gadgetry and I'm an enthusiast.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
With top of the line phones, music players, and computers. Yep, definitely overhyped./s

Well pappy, you're an ifan. So that's your opinion. In the real world, looking at specs, usability, options, and quality, that's not the case anymore. I'll just use the HTC one as an example, my point is made. However, I will give you the computers, mac is my computer of choice.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I refer to android as a community quite frequently lol. Does that make android have a cult as well? A community is a group of people with a common denominator, whether it be likes, dislikes, operating system..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Yes, it does make it a cult as well. A very large and intelligent cult :D

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it does make it a cult as well. A very large and intelligent cult :D

I guess we would be a cult who more appreciates technicality lol. I can appreciate that there is a certain experience that comes along with apple, and for some people, it's that experience that they enjoy. Would I ever switch to iPhone? No, not until the hardware matches the hype. But that's just my personal preference. I respect any one else's personal preference as well.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

This could be because Apple users seem to tend to be less into their hardware than android folks. Some Android folks actually feel the need to "defend" their phone should someone offer a criticism. Don't beleive that? Suggest to an HTC One owner that there their phone is not all metal and watch what happens. I'm not sure the majority of iOS users feel quite so strong about their devices, but I'm surethere are some that do.

Though my phone is not part of me, it's just a tool I use and a source of entertainment, I do enjoy the gadgetry and I'm an enthusiast.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

Well, anyone who would feel the need to "defend" (read, defend without facts or aggressively) the HTC one's build material and quality if it were questioned would most likely be unaware that the speaker grills are not a part of the unibody design, and that the plastic injections are there to accommodate the radios. Most HTC one owners, atleast those that frequent the forums or research before a purchase, are already aware of that. So I would assume it would be someone who doesn't own it, and is just defending it because if it's hype, or does own it, and bought it for the hype.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I guess we would be a cult who more appreciates technicality lol. I can appreciate that there is a certain experience that comes along with apple, and for some people, it's that experience that they enjoy. Would I ever switch to iPhone? No, not until the hardware matches the hype. But that's just my personal preference. I respect any one else's personal preference as well.

I used to be a huge iPhone fan, and I laughed at anybody carrying a note or a galaxy s3 because I thought the phones were huge. Now, that I've used one for a little over a year, I can appreciate the extra screen size. Picking up my friends 4s feels like I'm grabbing a Fisher Price toy for a kid, it just feels tiny. I love the apple experience, hell I even paid to get the ios betas, but until apple can up the specs and get a screen that's at least 4.8 inches I won't be heading back. It's a sad thing really, they need to rethink their "one size fits all" idea.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

The one single thing that I miss from my iOS devices that I no longer ever use since the switch to Android is the lightning connector. It is a vastly better design than micro-usb, and a really beautiful piece of engineering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree whole heartedly with this. I was mad about the change at first but it really is quite impressive. No fumbling in the dark and the charging speed it pretty awesome.

I think the one thing I miss is being able to tap the status bar and scroll to the top of the page Lol still loving my s4 tho

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.