S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Upon reading this article I just had a conversation with a coworker about this matter. He claims to have heard about the S4 having issues and what not. He is currenly an iPhone user as was I. I was a loyal iPhone user and sometimes miss my iPhone but when I see and notice the things I can do on my S4 I quickly get over missing it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I left the iPhone because iOS is soooooo boooorrrrring.

If you aren't bored with iOS you either just got it, or you are one step of competency away from needing a jitterbug flip phone.

The only 2 things going for the iPhone IMO is the stability of iOS and the physical aesthetics of the phone.

If the s4 was more metal, glass, carbon fiber, faux leather or wood, or some other premium feeling material I would have went with it. I'm sure Samsung will be addressing this.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Neither, and I don't appreciate the comment.

I don't know why folks need to come
in a public forum and act like little kids and make comments like that to you, Pappy, or others with no regard to whether or not they're offensive. Just ignore that comment. You have to realize everyone that frequents AC isn't necessarily mature or an adult, despite their avatar.

Sent from my humble S4 or Note 8 or Xperia Z tablet

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
You're right, it's not as good. It's better
I went there :p I don't see myself going back to iOS any time soon after using this phone. Just wish it ran cooler

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
If you aren't bored with iOS you either just got it, or you are one step of competency away from needing a jitterbug flip phone.

Thank you common Apple judging hater, for making apple fans look like complete brain-damaged oxygen suckers -_-

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There are some ways in which I don't get the supposed simplicity of ios. I find the launcher very frustrating and I can never find anything. With both Nova and Apex (I have never really tried touchwhiz) I find it much easier to organize folders.

All the out of the box advantages of iPhone disappear once you customize.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
There are some ways in which I don't get the supposed simplicity of ios. I find the launcher very frustrating and I can never find anything. With both Nova and Apex (I have never really tried touchwhiz) I find it much easier to organize folders.

All the out of the box advantages of iPhone disappear once you customize.

That's why ios has folders, it works kinda like nova. Organizing should be very easy (it took me no time to find apps on ios)

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes the gs4 is not as good as the iPhone. The gs4 is better then the iPhone!!

Posted via Android Central App

Ehh I say you're right for now, but if apple releases the new iPhone with a bigger screen than expected.... The Galaxy s4 will be crushed by the sales of iPhones within days

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That's why ios has folders, it works kinda like nova. Organizing should be very easy (it took me no time to find apps on ios)

I am aware that IOS has folders. I use an iPad every day.

One major annoyance is that you can't assign icons to folders. You end up with a bunch of little boxes on your homepage. With NOVA, I have a folder with all my google apps and it is on my home screen with an actual Google symbol. Similarly, my finance apps have a dollar symbol, travel apps have a little plane, etc. Far easier to see and work with.

It is also much easier to move apps into folders and across homescreens with Nova.

IOS has a bare bones launcher. Basically just all your apps strung out. I find it fairly frustrating.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Ehh I say you're right for now, but if apple releases the new iPhone with a bigger screen than expected.... The Galaxy s4 will be crushed by the sales of iPhones within days

Your name and your arguments really confuse me

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

Well if it's the same device you would be correct, but these are not. Like I said, it comes down to optimization. The iPhone could be running a process at let's say 800 mhz. Then let's say I have a galaxy running the process at 1.9 ghz. Obviously, the Galaxy will die faster.
But it doesn't. My wife's iPhone 5 and my Galaxy S4 get very similar battery life unless her Google Now (which I have running also) sucks up a bunch of her battery, in which case the iPhone 5 isn't as good. The iPhones get a good rap for battery life because they're slow to adopt faster internet speed radios. The 4S seemed like it had awesome battery life because it was compared with phones with new, inefficient 4G radios in them. Now that the iPhone 5 has 4G and that 4G radios have become more efficient, the iPhone 5 gets similar battery life as other phones with the same features. Apple calls it "efficiency" but really it's just less stuff that the phone is doing.

Optimization is the magic, and Moto is the only one that understands that so far.
It is the reason that an iPhone's performance is equal to, or better than basically any Android on the market, and does it with a "slower processor" and a smaller battery.
But it's not longer. I haven't seen anything that shows that it's any better than most Android phones. Everything I've seen suggests that the new Motorolas get way better battery life than the iPhone 5, and every other Android phone as well.

Here's one review from a site that specialized in battery life comparisons and it shows the iPhone 5 has 80% of the battery life of the S4:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life Review | CompareBatteryLife.com

I haven't seen anythign that shows the iPhone 5 performing better than most new Android phones, either. It's expected because it's about a year old, but I'm just illustrating that it's not "optimization" just an older, slower processor that both takes less power and doesn't perform as fast, but still admittedly really well for its generation.

If all Android OEM's would follow Moto's lead on optimizing, then it would probably be the biggest improvement in Android history. And I hope that they do.
I really hope they do too. The way the new Moto's are handling battery consumption is one of the best advancements in smartphones that we've had for a while. It's way beyond what any other manufacturer, including Apple, has done in the area. I really hope that kind of hardware optimization is done in all future flagship phones. Having a phone that monitors location, activity and constant voice recognition with minimal impact on idle battery life would be awesome. Most manufacturers are too focused on adding stuff to the phone while you use it. There's a good 20+ hours of the day that they're ignoring where your phone could be doing something useful.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I am aware that IOS has folders. I use an iPad every day.

One major annoyance is that you can't assign icons to folders. You end up with a bunch of little boxes on your homepage. With NOVA, I have a folder with all my google apps and it is on my home screen with an actual Google symbol. Similarly, my finance apps have a dollar symbol, travel apps have a little plane, etc. Far easier to see and work with.

It is also much easier to move apps into folders and across homescreens with Nova.

IOS has a bare bones launcher. Basically just all your apps strung out. I find it fairly frustrating.

Alright, I see what you mean. That makes sense. Personally, I like the way ios does it because I can read the folder name and open it, but if that doesn't work for you that's fine. I'm glad you like nova

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Very true. Steve Jobs was a GENIUS at marketing, any marketing student should look up to him as a God. Steve Wozniack on the other hand, TERRIBLE at marketing, invented the first mac computer and gets almost no recognition.

Nope, it's not in line. I'm going to say faulty programming (which I've dabbled in). It may have a slower processor, but it doesn't need a huge one. My old iPhone 5 runs as fast as my Galaxy, and that's due to optimization (which android basically doesn't have unless you have a Moto x). It's all about optimization. And yes, it does do location services with Google Now. It can also remind you things when you get to a certain location, etc. Basically, you have no argument

For someone who has dabbled in programming you have a misconstrued opinion of optimizations. Google Now is possibly badly programmed on purpose on iOS. Same way Apple terribly installs iTunes on Windows. With a SSD, I think I can open CS5 Premiere faster than iTunes at times.
What Garublador has said is 100% correct, and what you have said is also 100% correct albeit some what misunderstood I believe.
The flagship android smartphones for the most part make little to no concessions about features, and services running in background while iOS has been heavily optimized (or one could say dumbed down) to run smoother, and conserve battery life while packing lower specs than most phones out there. This is done by reducing the workload extensively, at the price of many features which one can find handy.
If you were to take Android, cut down all the extra features, and cut down multitasking and you would have a very fluid and fast experience.

Again: A processor has a maximum throughput dictated by architecture, processor frequency, cache, etc. No amount of software optimization will make it process any faster or any more work.
All you can do is minimize, work around, or remove workloads.
No such thing as true optimization as in software programming allowing a 25 gigaflop capable processor to process 30 gigaflops of information.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, Web os was killed for a reason. Personally, haven't used it, but I'll take your word for it. I still prefer ios over it for the notifications either way

Uh yeah because HP pulled the plug and the reason why is because Leo Apotheker totally screwed the pooch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Neither, and I don't appreciate the comment.

I don't know why folks need to come
in a public forum and act like little kids and make comments like that to you, Pappy, or others with no regard to whether or not they're offensive. Just ignore that comment. You have to realize everyone that frequents AC isn't necessarily mature or an adult, despite their avatar.

Sent from my humble S4 or Note 8 or Xperia Z tablet

Thank you common Apple judging hater, for making apple fans look like complete brain-damaged oxygen suckers -_-

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Ha ha ha really? Lighten up, goodness it was a joke... A general one at that- no need to become personally offended Pappy.

It was a reference to a VERY popular windows phone commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-U4Yr9UNBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

...I guess the marketing firm that created it, and the countless likes on YouTube are of immature people as well. Or, perhaps its just me, haalcyon.

Droidarmy, lol. I didn't make apple fans look like "complete brain-damaged oxygen suckers". That's a little harsh. Perhaps a little uptight... but certainly not brain-damaged.

Now breathe, you can put your torches and pitch forks down now :)

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
This just in. iPhone gaining, Android falling. And this is with no new iPhone in that period, and several major Androids (HTC One, S4) released. This is U.S. marketshare.

"Apple's iOS devices have reportedly captured more than 40 per cent of the smart phone market in the U.S. The market share in Australia however has not changed much.

A report from Apple insider made the assertion quoting figures from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. The figures from the report indicate that the iPhones have captured 43.4 per cent of the smart phone market in the U.S over a three month period from May to July 2013. This marks a 7.8 per cent increase compared to the same period last year.

The growth comes at the cost of other Android devices which seem to have declined by 7.6 per cent during the same year. It is worth noting that the decline is almost the same as the increase in the iOS devices.

Link:
Apple iOS Devices Capture 43% of U.S Smart Phone Market While Australia Remains Unmoved! - International Business Times

And the new iPhone is announced next week. Looking good for Apple.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Ha ha ha really? Lighten up, goodness it was a joke... A general one at that- no need to become personally offended Pappy.

It was a reference to a VERY popular windows phone commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-U4Yr9UNBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

...I guess the marketing firm that created it, and the countless likes on YouTube are of immature people as well. Or, perhaps its just me, haalcyon.

Droidarmy, lol. I didn't make apple fans look like "complete brain-damaged oxygen suckers". That's a little harsh. Perhaps a little uptight... but certainly not brain-damaged.

Now breathe, you can put your torches and pitch forks down now :)

That is a funny commercial! Really hard to tell that it's a WP8 commercial, though.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
That is a funny commercial! Really hard to tell that it's a WP8 commercial, though.

I agree, lol. Thanks for saying that. It doesn't necessarily make my joke polite- but I'll try to be more considerate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12