S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Idk what's going on with your phone but mine definitely detects music on my SD card. That's very strange. Also did you format it in the phone before putting your media on it and using it? That's standard for mobile devices.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Yes, I doubt you could use it in the phone if you did not format it. First time around it worked fine, I was able to transfer all my media, my dropbox material and everything to it. I just realised yesterday that the phone can't see the files anymore.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
@ Daniel Crispin.

I'm a first time Samsung phone buyer, never had any TouchWhiz experience, but I do like my Galaxy S4 a lot.

I normally have all the S features on but the S Voice. GPS and Bluetooth are off if I'm not using them. My battery lasts from 8-10 hours. And I use my phone a lot during the day; many phone calls and text messages (made and received), Facebook, twitter, Android Central, weather, web browsing and if I have to go from one place to another, Google maps and navigation.

Sorry you don't get that much out of yours. Are you in a place with very low signal?
Because that kills battery like crazy!

Anyway, I'm not a fanboy, of Samsung or Android. I actually love WebOS, and always will. But I have use android phones since 2009 and have owned and use full time Android since September 2011.
I've also used iPhones for work since 2010, I can't stand them!
Now at work they are not getting iPhones anymore, but I'm glad.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

8-10 hours is even worst than what I get. I don't go anywhere I didn't with my iPhone... and I am on the same carrier so signal strenght should be the same for my new phone.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

I hate S-Voice also. That is why I disabled the double tap in S-Voice settings, disabled S-Voice and now use Dragon. Since I use Nova Prime for my launcher I set the swipe up gesture to load Dragon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Hum... are you saying I can replace S-Voice by Dragon to control the phone? I need to be able to voice dial, make requests like time and all that verbally. I also need to be able to activate it through the use of the button on the headset.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Yup. And, posts on a forum are a great source of data. Solid scientific stuff. Better than actual experience, by far.

The fact that this poster is having problems that basically don't exist should be a clue as to how rock solid that is. I have listened to music on my sd card from the day I bought the phone.

I am of the opinion that their are legitimate reasons to prefer one OS over the other. IOS 7 exudes a feel of elegance and simplicity that some may prefer over the customization of android, and the hardware is gorgeous. I still am going to stick with my S4, but I see why others prefer iPhone. But, rather than key on that real stuff you basically fabricate random junk that isn't true and then cite random posts from unhappy owners as evidence.

Not trying to flame you, but that is pretty weak. If you have really used both systems you ought to be able to come up with something that is at least factually correct.

Are you calling me a liar ?

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
There is room for a thoughtful iPhone vs s4 discussion. IOS 7 is a gorgeous os, as is Jelly bean. And, the s4 and iPhone are two of the worlds most popular phones. Lots to compare.

Problem is that the conversation is getting bogged down with folk who have never even used the S4 and have an ax to grind.

I would much rather see some informed discussions about the actual features of each phone by posters who have really evaluated the two.

Oh well. Guess that was too much to ask.......

No you don't. I have been using the S4 for several months (got mine the day it came out after waiting for 3 months) and this is after using the iPhone 3gs for 3.5 years. When I tell you about my experience you call me a liar. So stop trying to appear neutral and wanting information, you just want people to say what you want, and what you want is to hear you have the best phone in the world and Apple can't compete.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, most people that have extensively used both, like myself, don't really have much bad to say about either Lol.

That's how it should be. They are phones. You should be able to pick them up and use them. They should do what they are supposed to. That was my experience with my iPhone. It just worked. With my S4 it's been completelly different, got to fight it every step of the way. I truelly wished it was different. I chose this phone for the georgous 5 inch display and the amazing dual quad processor. I was expecting a Ferrari but got a Corolla instead. The phone is still faster than my 3gs, it should be with 4 years of advancements behind it. And if it was the only issue (speed) I would be perfectly fine with it. But voice control is killing me. I wanted Siri but got Bob the 5 year old instead. Last night I experienced something new with S-voice: Everytime I made a request it replied: "Unexpected server error, please try again"... just great....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Please keep conversations civil and on topic. Disruptive posting, personal attacks and inappropriate language are not acceptable. If you have an issue with a post, please either ignore it and move on or hit the report button if you feel it violates the forum rules & polices. Thread has been cleaned up.

2nd request (in less than 24 hours) sounds the same as the first time. Let's try to play nice and avoid jumping to conclusions about the motivations of other members.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

Hum... are you saying I can replace S-Voice by Dragon to control the phone? I need to be able to voice dial, make requests like time and all that verbally. I also need to be able to activate it through the use of the button on the headset.

Dragon Mobile Assistant is what I replaced S-Voice with after I turned off the double tap setting in S-Voice then disabled S-Voice. I just tap the button on my Blueant Q2 and say "phone command" then wait for the beep that lets me know Dragon is ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
8-10 hours is even worst than what I get. I don't go anywhere I didn't with my iPhone... and I am on the same carrier so signal strenght should be the same for my new phone.

Okay... Have in mind I use it heavily. If I remember well, you said you only use it 2 or 3 times a day and you made it sound as if you got only a few hours out of it.
Also, newer iPhones don't give you as much battery juice like your old 3gs. More processing power and displays using more power, etc, etc...

If I use my phone almost like you; 2 or 3 times a day, the battery will normally last more then 20 hours.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I doubt you could use it in the phone if you did not format it. First time around it worked fine, I was able to transfer all my media, my dropbox material and everything to it. I just realised yesterday that the phone can't see the files anymore.

SD cards come pre formatted. You would definitely be able to use it even if you didn't format it while it was in the phone.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
SD cards come pre formatted. You would definitely be able to use it even if you didn't format it while it was in the phone.

This is extremely useful to have the cards come pre-formatted. I don't want to have to format something just so I can throw a few megabytes worth of music on it. It saves time

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Discouraged over posts about a PHONE? Wow. It's just a phone.

Hardly so, I am discouraged by like minded individuals such as yourself negatively influencing the community.
So yes I get discouraged when I see a community I enjoy, turn to a thread like this. Phones have little to do with that.
Also I don't prowl hours on end defending, or bashing phones. I am not saying that you do the previously mentioned but in the high probability that you did, wouldn't that be ironic?

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay... Have in mind I use it heavily. If I remember well, you said you only use it 2 or 3 times a day and you made it sound as if you got only a few hours out of it.
Also, newer iPhones don't give you as much battery juice like your old 3gs. More processing power and displays using more power, etc, etc...

If I use my phone almost like you; 2 or 3 times a day, the battery will normally last more then 20 hours.

With my Galaxy I can get about 10 hours max during my work day and a full day during the weekends. It all depends on how much you use the phone and how you use it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's how it should be. They are phones. You should be able to pick them up and use them. They should do what they are supposed to. That was my experience with my iPhone. It just worked. With my S4 it's been completelly different, got to fight it every step of the way. I truelly wished it was different. I chose this phone for the georgous 5 inch display and the amazing dual quad processor. I was expecting a Ferrari but got a Corolla instead. The phone is still faster than my 3gs, it should be with 4 years of advancements behind it. And if it was the only issue (speed) I would be perfectly fine with it. But voice control is killing me. I wanted Siri but got Bob the 5 year old instead. Last night I experienced something new with S-voice: Everytime I made a request it replied: "Unexpected server error, please try again"... just great....

Why not use google now?

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1