S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
That's how it should be. They are phones. You should be able to pick them up and use them. They should do what they are supposed to. That was my experience with my iPhone. It just worked. With my S4 it's been completelly different, got to fight it every step of the way. I truelly wished it was different. I chose this phone for the georgous 5 inch display and the amazing dual quad processor. I was expecting a Ferrari but got a Corolla instead. The phone is still faster than my 3gs, it should be with 4 years of advancements behind it. And if it was the only issue (speed) I would be perfectly fine with it. But voice control is killing me. I wanted Siri but got Bob the 5 year old instead. Last night I experienced something new with S-voice: Everytime I made a request it replied: "Unexpected server error, please try again"... just great....

It's the exact opposite with me. With my Galaxy s3 I tell it to do something and it does it. With my iPhone (which was an iPhone 5) I had to do a lot of fighting with it. I remember the data usage issue being a huge problem with the AT&T version on IOS 6, and it always caused me problems. It's an issue that never really got solved for me. Even though my phone has a few issues (like the slightest burn in from all of my texting and such) it's still light-years ahead of my iPhone.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This is extremely useful to have the cards come pre-formatted. I don't want to have to format something just so I can throw a few megabytes worth of music on it. It saves time

Very true, but when you put a memory card in anything (phone, camera, external memory for your computer), you should format it to prevent corruption in the future. Formatting also takes about 30 seconds, its not really much of an inconvenience to safeguard. I like to play it safe lol

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No you don't. I have been using the S4 for several months (got mine the day it came out after waiting for 3 months) and this is after using the iPhone 3gs for 3.5 years. When I tell you about my experience you call me a liar. So stop trying to appear neutral and wanting information, you just want people to say what you want, and what you want is to hear you have the best phone in the world and Apple can't compete.

Sigh. You all need to relax. This is a discussion about PHONES. Stop with all the personal stuff.

I don't believe the s4 is "better" than the iPhone. I do believe it is different and the differences warrant discussion.

I do not claim "neutrality." I like android a lot better.

I also believe that the problems you are having are unusual and will probably not occur for others. One can quite easily play music from the sd card so if particular users how can't for some very specific set of circumstances doesn't say much about the devices.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That's how it should be. They are phones. You should be able to pick them up and use them. They should do what they are supposed to. That was my experience with my iPhone. It just worked. With my S4 it's been completelly different, got to fight it every step of the way. I truelly wished it was different. I chose this phone for the georgous 5 inch display and the amazing dual quad processor. I was expecting a Ferrari but got a Corolla instead. The phone is still faster than my 3gs, it should be with 4 years of advancements behind it. And if it was the only issue (speed) I would be perfectly fine with it. But voice control is killing me. I wanted Siri but got Bob the 5 year old instead. Last night I experienced something new with S-voice: Everytime I made a request it replied: "Unexpected server error, please try again"... just great....

Well, there is no doubt that an Android requires a lot more upkeep and setup than an iPhone. I would also say that the effort you need is even greater with the S4 than other Android phones. I feel like I spent a bit of time defeating all the crapware on the phone.

I also feel like the end result is a phone that is more fun to use and more powerful overall.

Ymmv.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I can discuss it, as I have read hundreds of posts on this and other sites that are written by owners of the S4, and they are having lag issues. And, if I am reading correctly, you are saying that you had to optimize the S4 so there would be no lag. That shouldn't have to be done on a device that costs that much. I shouldn't have said that I have never had one, because I did get one and return it within the VZW 14 day period. I just don't consider less than 2 weeks as ownership. I returned it mainly for battery life, but it did have the lag issue. But that occurred before the update.
The lag issues lasted all of 2 weeks. Once the update came out things were fixed. One of my staff just got a new S4 the other day. There is no lag at all. It's silky smooth and fast as a phone needs to be. Lets move on in regards to this topic. It's something based on software issues from the initial launch not an ongoing problem months later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The lag issues lasted all of 2 weeks. Once the update came out things were fixed. One of my staff just got a new S4 the other day. There is no lag at all. It's silky smooth and fast as a phone needs to be. Lets move on in regards to this topic. It's something based on software issues from the initial launch not an ongoing problem months later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I hope that you are right, as I think that I am going to try another one post update. The Moto X is nice, but I'm leery of the camera fix. If all else fails, I can always go back to an iPhone 5, which has a great camera and absolutely no lag.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I hope that you are right, as I think that I am going to try another one post update. The Moto X is nice, but I'm leery of the camera fix. If all else fails, I can always go back to an iPhone 5, which has a great camera and absolutely no lag.

I highly recommend the galaxy s4, it really is a great phone. Either way, you have the iPhone 5 (my second favorite phone on the market) available if you don't like it

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Don't kill me for suggesting this, but I think an iPhone might be the best option for you. You sound like somebody who values rock steady stability and is not willing to futz around and you also want a great camera that always works. That all sounds like iPhone to me.

A month ago, I would have been more skeptical about making that recommendation. But, I really do enjoy IOS 7. Honestly, if IOS had a swype like keyboard, and allowed for icons to be assigned to folders (so I don't have all those goofy boxes on the homescreen), I probably would have one right now.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Don't kill me for suggesting this, but I think an iPhone might be the best option for you. You sound like somebody who values rock steady stability and is not willing to futz around and you also want a great camera that always works. That all sounds like iPhone to me.

A month ago, I would have been more skeptical about making that recommendation. But, I really do enjoy IOS 7. Honestly, if IOS had a swype like keyboard, and allowed for icons to be assigned to folders (so I don't have all those goofy boxes on the homescreen), I probably would have one right now.

Pappy has an iPhone currently, and he seems to like it a lot. I have no idea why he wants to get the s4 if he already really likes his iPhone

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I could put icons into folders on my i5. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You can put icons INTO folders, but you can't assign an icon to a folder. With Nova or Apex, you don't have a box on the screen that says "travel" and then has little travel icons. You just download a cool icon from somewhere on the web (like a plane flying) and assign it to the folder.

So, instead of a bunch of boxes on the homescreen with little white letters under them, I have an actual icon that meaningful.

Then, within the folder itself, I can assign any icon I want to the various applications.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Finally!
This thread is moving ahead way better! :thumbup::D
I'm glad we can all get along now! :cool::beer::beer::cool:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
While on the topic of iPhones and the s4, I was wondering what type of screen you guys prefer. Do you prefer AMOLED like on the s4, or IPS like the iPhone? Why?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
While on the topic of iPhones and the s4, I was wondering what type of screen you guys prefer. Do you prefer AMOLED like on the s4, or IPS like the iPhone? Why?

I prefer the amoled most of the time because the colors are richer and even my husband who will never use anything except iPhone admits is beautiful but outside I miss my iPhone.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante