S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I prefer amoled myself because the colors are so good and the blacks are amazing. I really like ips as well though. Amoled does have its problems, but I don't think they are too much of an issue. I still prefer amoled over ips

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm screen-tech agnostic. If the screen looks great it looks great. I will say that I use my phone way more indoors than out so I'd rather have great color and deep blacks than direct sunlight retina-burning brightness.

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm screen-tech agnostic. If the screen looks great it looks great. I will say that I use my phone way more indoors than out so I'd rather have great color and deep blacks than direct sunlight retina-burning brightness.

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV

Yeah, but the IPS has more natural colors, and AMOLED has the deeper blacks. Both screens are great, IMHO.

Sent from my Droid using AC Forums mobile app

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but the IPS has more natural colors, and AMOLED has the deeper blacks. Both screens are great, IMHO.

I honestly don't want the natural colors, I like the ones that amoled has. I actually enjoy watching videos more on my phone than my Sony Google TV.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

You do realize most of the IPS panels currently in production have saturated colors.... Just thought I'd mention it.
There are no problems in terms of colors/accuracy/contrast with devices using amoled screens, since they have very wide gamut the fault frankly lies with no color management on part of Android or apps. Anyone who owns a wide gamut professional IPS panel should realize this. Things WILL look saturated up the wazoo because of no color managements, while in professional applications accuracy shoots up through the roof.

If you read color reading charts, you will find very revealing numbers (S4's AMOLED screen is a bit more accurate than other panels except for individual case by case basis of the Iphone 5 pre iOS7).

Also if anyone has issues with brightness outdoors, just turn on auto mode, it will push it upwards of 460 nits versus the std 250~ nits on manual max brightness according to my readings.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You do realize most of the IPS panels currently in production have saturated colors.... Just thought I'd mention it.
There are no problems in terms of colors/accuracy/contrast with devices using amoled screens, since they have very wide gamut the fault frankly lies with no color management on part of Android or apps. Anyone who owns a wide gamut professional IPS panel should realize this. Things WILL look saturated up the wazoo because of no color managements, while in professional applications accuracy shoots up through the roof.

If you read color reading charts, you will find very revealing numbers (S4's AMOLED screen is a bit more accurate than other panels except for individual case by case basis of the Iphone 5 pre iOS7).

Also if anyone has issues with brightness outdoors, just turn on auto mode, it will push it upwards of 460 nits versus the std 250~ nits on manual max brightness according to my readings.

I do have auto brightness on and it doesn't seem to adjust well

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You do realize most of the IPS panels currently in production have saturated colors

I realize that the IPS panel on an iPhone has the most realistic colors.

Still difficult to read in sunlight, much more than the iPhone, or even the HTC One.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I realize that the IPS panel on an iPhone has the most realistic colors.

Yup as I had mentioned. Albeit if the S4 came even more calibrated and less saturated on greens, it would be more accurate than the Iphone 5/5s.
Still difficult to read in sunlight, much more than the iPhone, or even the HTC One.

You've owned the S4 to try it? Last I heard you were BARELY about to get it, did you even own the HTC One?
In my experience in direct sunlight only the Iphone 5 is decently readable in high contrast pages (white/black mostly).
HTC One is pretty good but not as good as the Iphone 5 and not much better than the S4 in auto full brightness.

Here's a vid. Not very scientific since the glare will affect perceived brightness from device to device due to the angle of the camera (thus making some appear brighter or dimmer than the rest.
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One vs Optimus G Pro vs Note 2 vs iPhone 5 Direct Sunlight Test - YouTube.

qtrxist

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Comparing iphone to S4 is like apple to oranges. Both fruit (phone), but different taste. Buy what you like better, buy them both if you can. At least for me that's how i see it.

Verizon gave me 14 days to think it over. Some stores will let you return it in 30-90 days and exchange it to a different phone. S4 to me provides more options for my needs. My son likes his iPad and i use a Mac. So yeah, user preference.

Carry on..

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone attacking pappy? Sheesh. He had the s4 for 2 weeks and is just giving his opinion. You don't have to agree with him.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar