S4 not as good as an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone attacking pappy? Sheesh. He had the s4 for 2 weeks and is just giving his opinion. You don't have to agree with him.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
Not attacking but also giving our opinion. :rolleyes::D
If you go back and read all of his posts you'll see why everyone feels the opposite; that is actually him attacking us and every Android user.
Like some of us have said before, if he loves Apple so much, why doesn't he just leave us alone and goes to an Apple forum and uses iPhones only.
Anyway, it's not an attack per se, but "cheap entertainment" as he called it! ;)
I think he just likes to argue for some weird reason. Because as soon as we agree on something and this thread begun to go the right way, he said:
We're going to have to change that! Can't have everybody getting along! :) :) :)

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with saturated, intense colors anyway? I happen to love them. And the SG4 screen is fantastic imho.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
If you go back and read all of his posts you'll see why everyone feels the opposite; that is actually him attacking us and every Android user.

Poor, poor child.

Like some of us have said before, if he loves Apple so much, why doesn't he just leave us alone and goes to an Apple forum and uses iPhones only.

I have been using an X. Don't you read?
I think he just likes to argue for some weird reason. Because as soon as we agree on something and this thread begun to go the right way, he said:
Originally Posted by pappy53
We're going to have to change that! Can't have everybody getting along!

Don't recognize sarcasm, huh?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Not attacking but also giving our opinion. :rolleyes::D
Anyway, it's not an attack per se, but "cheap entertainment" as he called it! ;)

I get what you're saying my thing is 10 different people asked if he's ever used the s4 lol I've read every post since I first commented so it's getting a little repetitive. And he is currently using an android device so he can't hate it completely or he'd be back on an iPhone lol.

Attack each other on something more interesting and you won't hear a peep from me :p

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I get what you're saying my thing is 10 different people asked if he's ever used the s4 lol I've read every post since I first commented so it's getting a little repetitive. And he is currently using an android device so he can't hate it completely or he'd be back on an iPhone lol.

Attack each other on something more interesting and you won't hear a peep from me :p

I've been fair in dealing with him, however his posts are based on flat out opinion, anecdotal information, or subjective as well as possibly hypocritical. As members have mentioned already you are fully entitled to ones opinion, and you are also entitled to make wrong opinions, false misinformation, and overall negative non constructive criticism all with the base of parroting cherry picked reviews, or flat out ignorance. I am also entitled to come by and give my opinion on the matter or to link to articles or reviews which tell a different tale.

For example when I asked him to please take a look at two pictures, and tell me which had the sharper details: He gave me a very quick, and thought-lacking response: I like the Iphone better because the colors pop more, and there's haze on the S4 (haze was smoke from grill).

Yet here he is trying to bash phones for having "saturated colors", when the culprit is Android not managing the wider gamut (better) of the amoled panel. Again I wonder if he's ever worked with an accurate, calibrated wide gamut professional display ever to be able to speak about accuracy and "realistic colors". Also what does realistic colors mean? Does he realize that tests for color accuracy ARE NOT using real world objects but comparing the colors being read by a colorimeter or spectrograph to programmed colors in a software where colors have a defined value or comparing frequencies of light to other frequencies of light to see if they are accurate?

I am uncertain why people want to praise or jump on a bandwagon they don't understand.

Laughinghyena

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If you check the customer satisfaction ratings for several years, and the customer retention rate, they would point to iPhone being better. If you look at the number of problems in the S4 forums, as opposed to the iPhone 5 forums, it would point to the iPhone being better.
But "better" to me means what is best for each user, as everyone has their own likes and dislikes. So, just get what suits you, and roll on.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I own both and despite that the iphone in not better than the s4 based on the examples you have given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of using the moto x, do you like it?

Yes, except that I am a little nervous about the camera. I don't think that it is very good right now, but hope that the update will fix it. That is, if VZW will ever release the update.
As far as the X goes, it is by far the smoothest and fastest Android phone that I have ever used. It seems like it is the result of what should have been done by OEM's long ago, which is focusing on optimization and usability, instead of specs only. That policy has served Apple well for several years, and hopefully more of the Android OEM's will implement it.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
"For example when I asked him to please take a look at two pictures, and tell me which had the sharper details: He gave me a very quick, and thought-lacking response: I like the Iphone better because the colors pop more, and there's haze on the S4 (haze was smoke from grill)."

How was it "thought-lacking"? To me, the iPhone picture is brighter, and the colors look better. And as I stated later, I didn't realize that the haze was from a grill.

"Yet here he is trying to bash phones for having "saturated colors", when the culprit is Android not managing the wider gamut (better) of the amoled panel. Again I wonder if he's ever worked with an accurate, calibrated wide gamut professional display ever to be able to speak about accuracy and "realistic colors". Also what does realistic colors mean? Does he realize that tests for color accuracy ARE NOT using real world objects but comparing the colors being read by a colorimeter or spectrograph to programmed colors in a software where colors have a defined value or comparing frequencies of light to other frequencies of light to see if they are accurate?"

I didn't know that one had to have used all of that equipment just to post an opinion about the colors on a phone screen. In that case, 99.999% of the people on here should not post their opinion about colors. Neither should reviewers on all of the different sites.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
"For example when I asked him to please take a look at two pictures, and tell me which had the sharper details: He gave me a very quick, and thought-lacking response: I like the Iphone better because the colors pop more, and there's haze on the S4 (haze was smoke from grill)."

How was it "thought-lacking"? To me, the iPhone picture is brighter, and the colors look better. And as I stated later, I didn't realize that the haze was from a grill.

"Yet here he is trying to bash phones for having "saturated colors", when the culprit is Android not managing the wider gamut (better) of the amoled panel. Again I wonder if he's ever worked with an accurate, calibrated wide gamut professional display ever to be able to speak about accuracy and "realistic colors". Also what does realistic colors mean? Does he realize that tests for color accuracy ARE NOT using real world objects but comparing the colors being read by a colorimeter or spectrograph to programmed colors in a software where colors have a defined value or comparing frequencies of light to other frequencies of light to see if they are accurate?"

I didn't know that one had to have used all of that equipment just to post an opinion about the colors on a phone screen. In that case, 99.999% of the people on here should not post their opinion about colors. Neither should reviewers on all of the different sites.

You should read the question: I asked for your opinion on DETAILS not colors. This is why why I said it was thought-lacking. You didn't put any thought to my question or you didn't read it either way you didn't engage thought, instead you went off on something different, subjective and possibly hypocritical.
Lastly it's called gamma/contrast/white balance failure on the Iphone 5's picture and a lot of open space, oh and over-saturation.
But nice way to put it in words that don't offend yet when you talk about the S4 or amoled you are quick to bring up opinions (falsely I may add) discussing color accuracy as if it was a negative.

Most reviews have panels, or ways to measure accuracy, gamut, brightness etc. They just don't release the charts because quite frankly no one in their user base would know how to read them.

No you don't need to use all that equipment to post an opinion about colors on a phone screen (I prefer colors that pop, I prefer blue over red for example).
However you do need to have used that equipment or at least link to someone who has and be able to interpret the data (or at the bare minimum understand the discussion) to give an worthy opinion on objective, measurable results (the S4 is less accurate than the Iphone 5 in most circumstances for example).
Nothing stops you from still speaking about color accuracy without having a single thing to go by besides statements or words, however nothing stops me, and many others from taking it as a non constructive, poorly researched, poorly understood statement.
For example: Color accuracy is measurable. Brightness is measurable. Etc.
Most reviewers use color calibration apparatuses to get readings, most don't care to post the results however (understandable). Some reviewers flat out make opinions based on the eye, which is not reliable.

On a more positive note, I do appreciate and respect your determination, and fondness of mobile devices. It's an awesome world we live in where a phone can just about handle most if not all every-day tasks.
If you are interested in learning a bit about panels, and readings I welcome you to go to TFTcentral they have great articles on many screen types, very cool stuff.
Also I recommend looking at some videos from Erica Griffin (particularly those she posts data on, via colorimeter) and also I believe Anand posted some values as well.

Volcanicstrad37

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been talking to my wife lately about me wanting to use her upgrade so I can get a 5s and she will take my s4. I used to be super opinionated against apple, but after using an ipad 3 for over a year, I have really enjoyed iOS7. Although I have no real issues with the s4 I just was another os for a while. I think being on Verizon is a reason as well. No rom flashing on my s4. I dont use any of the s4 gimmick things. Not saying other people don't, but I don't. Also having the resale value of iphones will make an experiment great because if I like it great, if not I can sell it and buy any new android phone.

It would be great if people could just see the pros and cons of each system.
The s4 does have a sort of lag even after update. It's rare. But I would call it more of a hiccup and not lag. Ive seen brief hiccups in animations when clicking on a folder, or going into the dialer or just typing there are rare occasions when the keyboard isnt spot on. But my ipad 3 has had keyboard lag many times and other lag...so one cant say that only android lags. Also one other con to the s4 for me is touch wiz is like a terrible bully. After getting my lockscreen just how I like it with widget locker, randomly im back at the stock lock screen at some point for some reason during the day. And how I click on a notification for messages and am taken to the wrong person or the main message page...
Minor qualms.

Posted via Android Central App

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I actually think the screen issue is a much different kind of issue than some of the other things I was getting on him about evaluating (i.e., lag). Lag, you really have to use a phone reasonably regularly to truly get a handle on. But, screen quality, you can assess (to an extent, given limited lighting conditions) just at the Verizon store. It takes about thirty second to realize that the iPhone and S4 both have gorgeous screens, but that the iPhone colors are a bit more realistic. And, as far as outdoors comparisons, I can just look at my buddy's iPhone when we are out for a walk and that will tell me that his outdoor visibility is in a different league than mine.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, except that I am a little nervous about the camera. I don't think that it is very good right now, but hope that the update will fix it. That is, if VZW will ever release the update.
As far as the X goes, it is by far the smoothest and fastest Android phone that I have ever used. It seems like it is the result of what should have been done by OEM's long ago, which is focusing on optimization and usability, instead of specs only. That policy has served Apple well for several years, and hopefully more of the Android OEM's will implement it.

My last phone was a moto with a horrendous camera. Outdoors, the S4 is in a different league. But, I really don't think the indoor performance is anything to write home about.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I actually think the screen issue is a much different kind of issue than some of the other things I was getting on him about evaluating (i.e., lag). Lag, you really have to use a phone reasonably regularly to truly get a handle on. But, screen quality, you can assess (to an extent, given limited lighting conditions) just at the Verizon store. It takes about thirty second to realize that the iPhone and S4 both have gorgeous screens, but that the iPhone colors are a bit more realistic. And, as far as outdoors comparisons, I can just look at my buddy's iPhone when we are out for a walk and that will tell me that his outdoor visibility is in a different league than mine.
If you're having issues with lag on the s4, why not install a custom rom? I know for AT&T along with Verizon it's a little annoying (not to mention the possibility of problems with the new installation method) but that's what I would do. I think in total I've ran Touchwiz on my phone for about 10 minutes, and that was when I first got it lol

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My last phone was a moto with a horrendous camera. Outdoors, the S4 is in a different league. But, I really don't think the indoor performance is anything to write home about.

The phone I had before the Galaxy S4 was the Motorola Photon 4G, the camera wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either!
Anyway, I've used many Motorola phones before, but I will stay away from them for a long, looooooonggg while...

Purple4

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

I switched from iPhone 5 to S4 the battery life is MUCH better on S4. I watch a lot of Netflix and can go all day without charging, couldn't have done that with iPhone.

howard5674

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: s4 not as good as an iPhone

just remember that kies and the s3 or i should say the s3 is a tracking phone. what i mean by that is when you use kies x cell phone to you're computer to view to pics, messages, that the phone numbers and time stay on you're phone until you do a reset.you can't delete them.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I hope that you are right, as I think that I am going to try another one post update. The Moto X is nice, but I'm leery of the camera fix. If all else fails, I can always go back to an iPhone 5, which has a great camera and absolutely no lag.
Wait for the Nexus 5. If you want a pure clean device then it is the one for you. My Nexus 4 is silky smooth. The 4.3 update manages memory so much better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol