Galaxy S4: Proximity sensors activates, but doesn't turn off

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if I have a hardware or a software problem, and I'm leaning toward a software bug.

I noticed that when making a call the screen blanks out when putting it up to my ear, but it doesn't turn back on again until I hit a physical button. I played around with the test mode (*#0*#) and found out that the proximity sensor activates fine, but after I remove the phone from my ear the readout keeps saying "PROXIMITY: 1" and the phone keep vibrating/the screen stays green. The ADC counts go down to normal levels, though. It implies to me that the sensor itself is working OK, but the software filter that looks at the value isn't working correctly.

Could someone else with an S4 dial *#0*#, run the sensor test, and pay attention to the Proximity section as they put their hand over the screen and remove it? I really want to know what the PROXIMITY value does when the hand is removed and if the phone stops vibrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Proximity sensors activates, but doesn't turn off

Did you recently put on a screen protector? If so, did it have a cut out for the speaker and sensors up top?

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Nope, phone is and always has been naked.

Posted via Android Central App

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, I've seen this happen before. It's been called a software bug, but I'm not sure Samsung is aware of the issue. I know this doesn't occur on custom roms, so if you want to use one that's a solution. Otherwise, it's a software bug and you need to wait it out

Posted by The Android Central app

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I didn't think this had any chance of working, but I seemed to have fixed it. On another forum someone mentioned the proximity sensor could act funny if dust made its way in the earpiece grill and that he had luck blowing into the earpiece and loosening the dust. I picked up a can of compressed air and got the thing pretty good. Sure enough the proximity sensor works perfectly now. The phone app reacts correctly, and the test mode shows proximity deactivation as soon as I move my hand away.

I really didn't think it would make a difference, but I'm glad I gave it a try. A $5 can of compressed air beats having to transfer everything over to another phone any day.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

I didn't think this had any chance of working, but I seemed to have fixed it. On another forum someone mentioned the proximity sensor could act funny if dust made its way in the earpiece grill and that he had luck blowing into the earpiece and loosening the dust. I picked up a can of compressed air and got the thing pretty good. Sure enough the proximity sensor works perfectly now. The phone app reacts correctly, and the test mode shows proximity deactivation as soon as I move my hand away.

I really didn't think it would make a difference, but I'm glad I gave it a try. A $5 can of compressed air beats having to transfer everything over to another phone any day.

Glad it worked for you! Compressed air? Would have never thought of that, it wouldn't make sense that dust would affect the proximity sensor like that

Posted by The Android Central app

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

What a trip! I've been noticing this issue for weeks, I don't make many calls but it finally got to the point where it was annoying me so I sought out this thread. Sure enough, a blast of compressed air did the trick. Works like a charm now. Hard to believe a little dust could make so much fuss :)

Thanks bearda!!!

Corey Scott

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Unbelievable!

I don't even want to guess how many hours I've wasted trying to fix this. I was endlessly searching for which driver to disable for the proximity sensor (and reading mixed reviews about performance after using Hardware Disabler to disable the driver, assuming I could figure out which one it was). I'd tried a couple of different ROMs that included an option to disable the proximity sensor in-call, and was deciding if I wanted to go through the hassle of restoring the phone to stock and looking into my options for a warranty return. I am so lucky to have stumbled across this thread in all my searching. THANK YOU! I just blew the earpiece out with a can of air and BAM! My phone works again! I was positive it was broken hardware.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Sideman7

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I have run into this problem as well... The problem is that there is dust inside the glass in front of the sensor (look with a magnifying glass, you can see it). Fortunately, forcing air into the earpiece seems to help clear this out...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

sploits

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi,
I just joined this forum to say THANK YOU!!
I've got the returns envelope to return my phone after trying for days to fix the proximity problem. I found this thread and like the last poster I got a straw and blew like hell into the speaker. Viola my S4 proximity sensor works properly again! :-D

Tatouille

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

Hi !

I have the very same problem, and I think a can of compressed air will solve this issue too.

But I don't have any for the moment, so I'll have to wait until I buy one.

I tried with a straw, and I was only able to worsen the situation : the sensor was always on, even when I tilted the phone, what was previously working to reset it.

Then I blowed a little more, and I was only able to bring back the previous behavior (triggers, but cannot "untrigger").

It'll be fine untill I own an air-blowing can.

Thanks for the tip !

Tatouille

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

I finally had to disassemble the phone, in order to blow directly on the sensor, because even with a can of air, the dust didn't go away when blowing by the speaker holes, but now it's alright.

Thank you very much again for the tip.

Now I'll have to find a solution for the dust not to go inside again...

glennji

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

+1, registered just to say thanks. This has been driving me quietly nuts for ages now; compressed air did the trick.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I finally had to disassemble the phone, in order to blow directly on the sensor, because even with a can of air, the dust didn't go away when blowing by the speaker holes, but now it's alright.

Thank you very much again for the tip.

Now I'll have to find a solution for the dust not to go inside again...

From the looks of the assembly there should be some kind of felt ring around the speaker to go flush up against the glass. I've never taken it apart to be sure, but my guess would be that on some units the assembly isn't holding tight up against the glass or that felt isn't thick enough and the dust escapes to the nearby proximity sensor. If you're willing to take the phone apart I'd look into what can be done to make sure that contact is as tight as possible, and either putting a spacer in (more felt, etc) or angling the earpiece so it's flush.

When you did take apart the phone was there a noticeable amount of dust in there? I'm curious how much it takes to **** off the sensor.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

I'm having this problem and is driving me nuts.... I will try the compressed air can tomorrow and report back.

marius_mathisen

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

Same problem on my unit. Actually worked just by blowing with my mouth directly into the speaker. Did not know about the test mode. Thanks guys!
-Marius

Raja Chava

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. It did work. I blew air into the ear piece with my mouth and the sensor started working. I even contacted Samsung and those stupids ask me to send it to Texas to look at the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800