06-01-2017 08:21 PM
63 123
tools
    I didn't think this had any chance of working, but I seemed to have fixed it. On another forum someone mentioned the proximity sensor could act funny if dust made its way in the earpiece grill and that he had luck blowing into the earpiece and loosening the dust. I picked up a can of compressed air and got the thing pretty good. Sure enough the proximity sensor works perfectly now. The phone app reacts correctly, and the test mode shows proximity deactivation as soon as I move my hand away.

I really didn't think it would make a difference, but I'm glad I gave it a try. A $5 can of compressed air beats having to transfer everything over to another phone any day.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thank you so much for the tip!!! I had gone to two different T-Mobile stores for help (with no luck), upgraded the firmware (which made the sensor work one way--turning the screen off--but not the other), and I was about to have the store do a factory reset, possibly followed by an in-warranty phone swap. During my wait at the store I decided to look for solutions online, and I found this. Not having canned air nearby, I tried blowing air into the earpiece as hard as I could. I did that about three times. And it WORKED! The proximity sensor now "finds" my ear, "knows" when I pull the phone away from it, and does it again and again as many times as I want during the call. Before I had experienced similar situations as others in the thread, including one call where the phone was frozen on the black screen and I could do nothing to get out of it.

Seems like a design flaw. A software fix might improve the situation, but frankly it's hard to argue with such an easy and quick fix (once you know about it). It's a bit of a shame that no one at the stores knew about this.

G
    07-27-2014 11:11 PM
    Hi,
    When I do *#0*#, for sensor test...I ma grtting value as 7.
    Let me knw wat should i do further to resolve for proximity getting off
    10-24-2014 05:26 AM
    I am facing same problem regarding sensor please help me...what can i do ???
    12-19-2014 01:20 PM
    man this worked..Thank u so much...
    01-11-2015 11:50 AM
    Thank you so much! It worked for me using vacuum cleaner! You saved my phone! Thank you, Bearda!!
    01-19-2015 08:05 AM
    Whaaaat, my maat jy is awesome! I had this problem for too long with a brand spanking new phone. I used nitrogyn, and couldn't believe the results. I did the *#0*# before and after, before there was nothing going on, my prox sensor was not responding to anything. So I registered just to say thanks to the beard!
    02-04-2015 07:07 AM
    Sorry for my bad English.
    I just blow from my mouth into the earpiece and it worked for me.
    Try to blow it dry. Do not mix your spit with it.
    02-12-2015 03:54 PM
    Thank you very much Bearda. At first it also made me think the problem was in software update. But after your comments, and viewing other's comment, I blew air through head piece vent and it it didn't worked for me, then I rememberd that I had changed my broken screen. So I decided to open it again hoping to find some solution regarding the problem. And after cleaning the proximity sensor with a cloth the my problem is solved. I took the help of google on how to find the proximity sensor. Thanks again.
    02-28-2015 01:30 AM
    I tried to blow with a straw for few time but it doesn't improved. The proximity value remains at around 52-55 and screen keeping green. I then used a small keyboard vacuum pump to suck for few second, it fell to 47!!!! 47 is a safe value but I cant make it even lower. Anyway, thank you so much for the trick. The Samsung online support just sucks that always ask me to factory reset!
    05-05-2015 03:15 AM
    Have Registered just to say Thank You. Just blow with my mouth and it worked for me.
    07-04-2015 02:50 AM
    I've just registered to thank you. This really had helped. I didn't have compressed air, so I just have blown through a napkin with my mouth. I couldn't find the solution of this problem in Russian Internet.
    Thank you, good man!
    10-25-2015 01:49 PM
    I too joined just to thank you for this post....saved my phone from rooting to fix the proximity sensor. Wow@Compressed air ! Who would have thought?
    05-05-2016 07:58 AM
    Like others, registered just to say thanks...
    06-01-2017 08:21 PM
63 123