I'm having trouble deciding between the two, I know the note 3 will technically have better specs but I know the s4 is no slouch. Also assuming Samsung's yearly release schedule we should be expecting the s5 around March. So my question really is if I go with the s4 sometime this September will I be set for a year or two? Or am I going to regret it and wish I went with a brand new note 3? Any help is appreciated

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-30-2013 10:29 PM
    I am honestly not sure. Here is why: You are comparing a phone that you can look at and buy right now, to one that doesn't even really have confirmed specs yet, let alone real world tested.
    08-30-2013 10:51 PM
    Right I understand where your coming from but even not knowing the exact specs I've had a lot of hands on time with the sgn2. So I have a good idea of the size. I feel its too big. I'm really just debating the s4 now or waiting another 8 months for the s5. Seeing as the s3 is still a good phone nearly a year and a half later I don't really see why I shouldn't just spring for a s4 now.

08-30-2013 11:43 PM
    If you found the note 2 to be too big then you shouldn't be waiting for the note 3. The note 3 may have better specs but from a usability point of view, those specs are useless if the phone is too big for you in everyday use. I advise you too go with the S4.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
    08-31-2013 12:00 AM
    Right I understand where your coming from but even not knowing the exact specs I've had a lot of hands on time with the sgn2. So I have a good idea of the size. I feel its too big. I'm really just debating the s4 now or waiting another 8 months for the s5. Seeing as the s3 is still a good phone nearly a year and a half later I don't really see why I shouldn't just spring for a s4 now.

I would get the 4 and root /flash something like SlimROM

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    08-31-2013 12:00 AM
    If u feel the Note 2 is too big I'd go with the GS4 becuz the Note 3 is even bigger than the Note 2

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Tapatalk 4... I LOVE THIS PHONE
    08-31-2013 12:41 AM
    If u feel the Note 2 is too big I'd go with the GS4 becuz the Note 3 is even bigger than the Note 2

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Tapatalk 4... I LOVE THIS PHONE
    I had a note 2 for a while and decided that I wanted a device that was phone sized. The battery on the s4 lasts me longer than the note 2 battery. I haven't even rooted yet. Yes the note 3 will be bigger. But how much bigger is logical for a device?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-31-2013 06:50 AM
    I had the original note and decided to upgrade to the S4 instead of the note 2 or upcoming note 3. Now that I own 2 tablets I decided that I wanted a smaller phone so went for the S4. I do miss the S-pen though and I think I'm going to get the note 8.0.

Posted via my Galaxy s4
    08-31-2013 08:37 AM
    I've been contemplating the same issue for awhile now:

• I absolutely want the size of the Note 3. My only Android phones have been the S3 and the S4 but they now seem normal size to me and I want something even bigger.
    • The most important issue, however, is the locked bootloader. Currently my AT&T S4 is pre-MF3 firmware and the loki exploit still works...so I have 100% freedom to flash custom ROMs etc. I am afraid the Note 3 might come in a poor state for custom ROMs...
    • I know I can sell my S4 for a premium, to help buy the Note 3, since I have pre-MF3 firmware. This was my plan all along considering I used my upgrade on the S4 a few months ago...it just got sweetened inadvertantly by MF3.

So it seems to me the plan is to wait for the Note 3 to launch, admire the specs, and wait to see how the bootloader looks and then make a decision from there...the resell value on the S4 is enough to make it feasible to buy the Note 3 without an upgrade...even though I might steal another one from someone on my shared data plan!
    08-31-2013 04:42 PM
    Thanks for the replies, the more time I spend with the note I feel I'm getting used to the size. I really could go either way. I do like the s-pen though. I think I'll just wait for the unpacked event this coming week and make a decision based on that. Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-31-2013 10:26 PM
    I would get the 4 and root /flash something like SlimROM

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    Not possible if the phone comes updated with the latest software which it will. They havent found a way to put custom roms on the gs4 with build MF3. I messed up and bought one without making sure I can root and flash mine has the build MF3

TO the op I prefer the gs4 or gs3 if you're in to flashing roms both are good I like some of the features on my 4 the slightly bigger screen and ir blaster. I keep the rest turned off unless I am showing the phone. I havent handled a note 2 so no comment
    09-01-2013 02:19 AM
    Not possible if the phone comes updated with the latest software which it will.
    Depending on the carrier, yes they have.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-01-2013 07:27 AM
    Depending on the carrier, yes they have.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    What carriers work?

Sent from my humble S4
    09-01-2013 09:12 PM
    What carriers work?

Sent from my humble S4
    I think I saw it for Verizon. Didn't pay much attention as it wasn't my carrier.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-01-2013 09:40 PM