Best Video Chat App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,

Just trying to get other opinions. I'm about to leave on a trip to the other side of the Planet and because of Time Zones, the only time I'll be able to call my friends and family is when either me or them are on the move. So, which video chat service would be better in terms of quality VS data consumption. I've been trying to find data especially on Hangouts but to no avail... The three apps I'm considering right now are Skype (duh!), Tango (never heard of it before, but a friend suggested it), and Hangouts.

I'm looking for something in the lines of "This app uses X ammount of data for Y ammount of video call time". What do you guys think?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but what about mobile data? I mean I've used it and I like it but if I'll be using it on the go and abroad I want the least data hungry option...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, 15 Megs a minute! Hahaha I, too, have only used those over WiFi, so I've never noticed or thought about data consumption rates. I've also heard about Tango, but I've never used it personally... FaceTime is out of the question since, though I do have an iPad I could use, none of my family members have iPhones (I switched them all to Android a few years back hehe).

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone???? My wife is deaf and we really need one I can count on.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't know what will work on both systems; why not try the Apple app store to see if they have iPhone versions of ones available for Android, install the Android version on the S4, then test for compatibility?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts is cross-platform, as well as Skype. Personally, I've had better results with Hangouts in terms of connectivity but it seems to gobble up more data than Skype. Skype, on the other hand, is more popular and will let you place audio-only calls (which in your particular case might not be that useful anyway). Tango has many of my friends quite happy in terms of data consumption, but I'm not sure if it's available for iOS.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I use hangouts. I find it to usually be higher in quality and have had less problems with it overall compared to Skype. Might be worth the extra data that it uses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Steve Dosan

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Skype, Google Hangouts, Google Talk etc are best for social chats with your freinds and family members. And if you are looking for conducting online business meetings as well, webex, gomeetnow, R-HUB web conferencing servers etc. are recommended.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
My family uses Duo from Google already on most current android phones and there is an iPhone version.
Just noticed you're using an S4. If it's Andriod 8 or higher you should be good to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund