09-05-2013 05:29 PM
26 12
tools
    Hi, can anyone help me with google services, its using 50% battery and says its been awske for almost 14 hours! I have turned off everything to do with google and its still there. It went away the other day and now its back. Does it go away by itself and come back? I have looked all over the internet and no one can give a clear answer. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-04-2013 09:21 AM
    Check to see if your "Location Services" are set to "On" in your settings. If they are, disable and see if that helps.
    09-04-2013 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Both if them or just "wifi & mobile" or "GPS"

09-04-2013 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Both if them or just "wifi & mobile" or "GPS"

Anything that has to do with gps just turn it off. This is also syncing that's going on in the background, so go in to accounts and turn off sync for a day or two and see if that helps
    09-04-2013 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I will turn them off and see what happens.

09-04-2013 11:35 AM
    Still no difference at the minute. I will keep an eye on it and report back. Should the differnce be quick or does it take time to show up?

09-04-2013 12:07 PM
    Still no difference at the minute. I will keep an eye on it and report back. Should the differnce be quick or does it take time to show up?

You should see the difference within a day hopefully. If not, we still need to troubleshoot the problem
    09-04-2013 12:38 PM
    Thanks for the reply, the % is slowly going down. I will post an update tomorrow. Hopefully it will be gone.

DroidArmy likes this.
    09-04-2013 01:48 PM
    Just to be clear, that percent you see isn't an indication of how much each of those things is currently using. It's showing you what percent each of those things has taken out of the total battery used so far. So if you're at 50% battery and Google Services has used 50%, then it's really only used 25% of your total battery. If you somehow manage to completely stop Google Services from using battery at that point (which is probably impossible, but I'm just illustrating what the numbers mean) and you drain your battery all the way, Google Services would show up as 25%, even thought it didn't use any battery after you got below 50%.
    09-04-2013 02:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply. When I tap on it in the battery settings, it says it has stayed awake for 14 hours 59 minutes. Does that mean it has been using the device while I have had it locked? I've only used it for about an hour today.

09-04-2013 02:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply. When I tap on it in the battery settings, it says it has stayed awake for 14 hours 59 minutes. Does that mean it has been using the device while I have had it locked? I've only used it for about an hour today.

Can you post a picture of what you're looking at?
    09-04-2013 02:59 PM
    It won't let copy my clipbord?

09-04-2013 03:06 PM
    It won't let copy my clipbord?

Yes, you have to use the android central forums app to post pictures, not the standalone android central app. That's why I have both and switch between them when necessary
    09-04-2013 06:05 PM

I would assume so. Something is making it run all the time (hopefully we already took care of that), so it's burning though battery like crazy.
    09-04-2013 06:07 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I just downloaded the forums app now. This is what I see. At the moment its at 29%. So its coming down, I hope it continues to do so

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Google Services Help-1378339682083.jpg   Google Services Help-1378339695936.jpg  
    09-04-2013 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I just downloaded the forums app now. This is what I see. At the moment its at 29%. So its coming down, I hope it continues to do so

That's good that it's going down! Yikes, it had a half an hour of cpu time! That's waaaay too much! Here's mine, this is what it should be if everything is working correctly
    Attached Thumbnails Google Services Help-1378340597027.jpg  
    09-04-2013 07:23 PM
    I didn't even notice the cpu time. At the minute its at 29%, still too high but hopefully tomorrow it will have gone down. I will post back tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

09-04-2013 08:50 PM
    Update
    It went away today after I turned off "location services" "wifi & mobile network location" then I turned it back on to test it out, then google services came back with 4% use of the battery. So I assume its this. Thank you for all your help guys. I really appreciate all your help. I still have "wifi & mobile network" turned on for the minute to see if it goes any higher.

09-05-2013 09:49 AM
    And yet another thread about the same thing! lol
    (HINT: Use the search function in the forum to find an answer to your questions without making a new thread)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-s...light=services
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...light=services

To quote myself from the other threads:

Settings/more/location services <--- disable "use wireless networks". This cut down on the wakelocks from Google Play Services by about 95%...but of course I lost that feature, which I would prefer to have.
    09-05-2013 10:20 AM
    I did search but I didn't know if it comes and goes or is a constant thing lol.

09-05-2013 10:39 AM
    I completely turn off all location settings and GPS when not needed. Although I have Auto Sync on, always (my contacts, calendar, and gmail are all synced to Gmail), my Google Services doesn't even show up in battery usage listing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
    09-05-2013 12:47 PM
    Its stupid how much battery it uses when turned on. Google need to fix it in a update or something. I love the s4 phone though and android platform & I was on iOS for almost 4 years.

09-05-2013 01:09 PM
    Its stupid how much battery it uses when turned on. Google need to fix it in a update or something. I love the s4 phone though and android platform & I was on iOS for almost 4 years.

Something is definitely weird with yours. With the most recent updates to Google Play Services I've had all Google Now cards on, all location services going, additional location tracking on (which I believe just piggy backs off Google Now), I've been off the charger for 8h 40m and Google Play services has kept the processor awake for 1h 6m. Something seems to be up with your Google Play Services installation or something. It's not normal for it to keep your processor awake all the time.
    09-05-2013 01:28 PM
    Something is definitely weird with yours. With the most recent updates to Google Play Services I've had all Google Now cards on, all location services going, additional location tracking on (which I believe just piggy backs off Google Now), I've been off the charger for 8h 40m and Google Play services has kept the processor awake for 1h 6m. Something seems to be up with your Google Play Services installation or something. It's not normal for it to keep your processor awake all the time.

I thought there was something wrong. I only got about 2-3 hours out of the phone yesterday. Today after I turned off "wifi & mobile network" with everything still on and at the moment its at 6%. Which is a lot less then yesterday. I've been using the phone most of the day & the battery has only dropped about 18%.

DroidArmy likes this.
    09-05-2013 01:41 PM
    I thought there was something wrong. I only got about 2-3 hours out of the phone yesterday. Today after I turned off "wifi & mobile network" with everything still on and at the moment its at 6%. Which is a lot less then yesterday. I've been using the phone most of the day & the battery has only dropped about 18%.

Awesome! That means we've solved the issue! Now all we have to do is wait for the Google services framework to be updated so we can turn everything back on again....
    09-05-2013 05:14 PM
26 12