1. jdoubleu2's Avatar
    So I'll try to make this short but include all the details...

    Last Saturday night my phone (galaxy s4) was in my pocket and I entered the ocean, it was under for probably 10 seconds until I realized. I have a case and screen protector on it. About 3 minutes later I was home and took out the battery, dried it, and put both the phone and battery into a bowl of rice for the night.

    The next morning I tried putting the battery back in (yes I realize now that this was probably too soon), and nothing happened. I tried plugging it in as well and nothing. Back in the rice it went for about another 24 hours. I tried turning it on again and nothing, although now a small light was showing red in the top left corner. The rest of the day Monday and all day Tuesday the battery and phone were separate.

    Tuesday night I was going through the process of getting a new phone shipped since I have insurance that covers water damage. The deductable was $99 and I was all set to submit payment when I decided to check my phone 1 more time. I put the battery in and tried turning it on and it vibrated a couple times and that was it. The little light in the top left was now flickering blue. I plugged it in and took the battery in and out a few times until it then vibrated 12 times in a row a few seconds apart, and then magically turned on.

    The screen was flickering only a tiny bit, and the top info bar was messing up and a message about the time zone kept popping up. The touch aspect was a bit messed up as well, not always registering. So off and battery out it went for the night and in the morning I tried it again in the morning, and this time it seemed to be working fine, but it wouldn't charge. Later in the day I was able to get it to start charging, but the touchscreen would not work, and that is how it has stayed.

    So now, the phone turns on no problem, the screen is fully on with no problems, but I am unable to use the phone since the screen won't recognize my touch. So it seems like if I'm able to fix that part of it then the phone should be just fine. The only plan I can think of is to open it up, and clean the connection for the screen with a soft toothbrush and alcohol, and then let it dry fully and try again.

    Does anyone have any tips for this? I can't find anything online about someone with the same problem. I also don't think I could take it to a store and say the touchscreen stopped working because they would most likely be able to open it up and see that it had gotten wet. I appreciate any opinions and help.
    09-05-2013 11:27 AM
  2. Paul627g's Avatar
    I would say first of all your a lucky person to get so much life to return to your device after getting wet.

    Unfortunately though the screen/digitizer can be one of the hardest and least desirable parts of a phone to replace or work on.

    I don't have really any suggestions other than Google the heck out of it to research what you need to do to open the device and get to the screen/digitizer and its associated connections to the motherboard.
    09-05-2013 11:32 AM
  3. digitard's Avatar
    Honestly... I'd say just spring for the 99 now and get it over with.

    The reason being is the long term. You're going to take hours, at least, cleaning the screen connectors and if that doesn't work you've wasted time, and buying a new screen is going to be more than that 99. Plus you were in salt water, and that's going to corrode the electronics inside over time. Chances are you'll have issues pop up here/there over time, and it will eventually experience more issues as corrosion occurs.

    I'd say just get the new one, now, and not have to worry about it. Is it really worth your time, and future annoyances most likely, for the 99 bones?
    09-05-2013 11:41 AM
  4. ansa82's Avatar
    Pay the deductible and get a new one. It's probably never gonna be perfect again!

    sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    09-05-2013 11:41 AM
  5. josearmz10789's Avatar
    Same thing happened to my friends S3 but his phone would turn on properly. Bad thing about it was screen was unresponsive. All buttons worked properly. He ended up getting another phone under BB insurance no deductible.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-05-2013 12:06 PM
  6. wtom's Avatar
    Pay the deductible, unfortunately even if you fix your current S4, it'll never be the same again.

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
    09-05-2013 12:11 PM
  7. jdoubleu2's Avatar
    So, for an update, I took out the screws and opened the phone. I disconnected the screen power connector and brushed it and everything else inside with a toothbrush, put it back together, and low and behold it is working! Let's just hope I don't jinx myself.
    09-05-2013 08:30 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Intermittent beeps while on a phone call
    By Jim Panfil in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-06-2016, 08:22 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2015, 12:47 PM
  3. Is this doable to replace your current phone?
    By Paul627g in forum ASUS Fonepad Note 6
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2014, 08:03 PM
  4. HELP! Is this phone worth it????
    By Ryandroid86 in forum LG G2
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 12:26 PM
  5. Finally rooted and flashed my phone!
    By mrtinydave in forum Verizon Galaxy S III
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 11:12 PM