Water Damage to speaker and led indicator, thoughts on repairs?

shandi235

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 first and foremost!

So I was a derp and left my phone on my front seat in my car with a water canteen that leaked. It sat for about 20 minutes in 2 inches of water. Oops.

I immediately ripped the phone apart and threw it into rice for 3 whole days. When I connected it all back together everything but the LED Indicator and External Speaker worked. I ordered up some OEM parts since my phone was not under its warranty anymore (Sprint also confirmed this). I replaced the speaker twice, the headphone jack/led indicator twice and they still do not function.

If I plug my headphones they work just fine. There is 1 LED that works, it is a dull red LED light that never goes away.

I can replace the speaker with a small bluetooth speaker. I don't really mind having to do this. I am more worried about the LED indicator.

I have tried the tests on *#0*#. ALL the tests pass except for Speaker and LED. Now if I put in my headphones I hear the speaker test just fine. So my phone is capable of producing sound... just not through the external speaker!

Sorry if this was convoluted. Heading to sleep now I appreciate any and all advice!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 first and foremost!

So I was a derp and left my phone on my front seat in my car with a water canteen that leaked. It sat for about 20 minutes in 2 inches of water. Oops.

I immediately ripped the phone apart and threw it into rice for 3 whole days. When I connected it all back together everything but the LED Indicator and External Speaker worked. I ordered up some OEM parts since my phone was not under its warranty anymore (Sprint also confirmed this). I replaced the speaker twice, the headphone jack/led indicator twice and they still do not function.

If I plug my headphones they work just fine. There is 1 LED that works, it is a dull red LED light that never goes away.

I can replace the speaker with a small bluetooth speaker. I don't really mind having to do this. I am more worried about the LED indicator.

I have tried the tests on *#0*#. ALL the tests pass except for Speaker and LED. Now if I put in my headphones I hear the speaker test just fine. So my phone is capable of producing sound... just not through the external speaker!

Sorry if this was convoluted. Heading to sleep now I appreciate any and all advice!

Welcome to the forums!
The downside to water damage, it can get everywhere and may not always be repairable. And I think this is the case here.

shandi235

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
The downside to water damage, it can get everywhere and may not always be repairable. And I think this is the case here.

Heya! Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Yea I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Oh well! I've gotten used to looking at my phone while I am out, and it is kind of nice in a way because without a functioning speaker my phone is always "off"! :D

Has anyone had any experience with any Bluetooth speakers? I would like to be able to hear notifications and such when I am at home. I tried using a speaker in the headphone jack but notification sounds for that on speakers is super low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781