Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy Tab 3 7" connects with no problem after having input the password, by my S4 connects -- not really -- and says the following:

Saved, Secured

But isn't connected to my WiFi. Can anyone tell me why it's doing that?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem. The only way I could get the Galaxy S4 to connect and stay connected was to set the router encryption to TKIP instead of AES.

This is a known issue with some routers, and Samsung blames the companies making the router, while the companies making the routers blame Samsung. I've no idea who is at fault, but I can confirm that changing the encryption to TKIP fixed the problem on my ASUS RT-N66U router.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Linksys E1200 router, when my new modem's provisioning goes through -- should've been today -- then I will be uninstalling the Windows software for router, and disconnecting the router and replacing it with the Linksys E4200V2.

My current router [E1200] doesn't have TKIP or AES, and I highly doubt that the E4200V2 does as well.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't tried this yet, change channel method on the Wi-Fi signal. If you use auto channel setup, switch to manual and bounce through them to see if any one connects. I had to switch from auto to channel 6 because of my wife's MacBook doing the same thing. Thankfully everything else in the house was able to connect on this channel as well.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't tried this yet, change channel method on the Wi-Fi signal. If you use auto channel setup, switch to manual and bounce through them to see if any one connects. I had to switch from auto to channel 6 because of my wife's MacBook doing the same thing. Thankfully everything else in the house was able to connect on this channel as well.

This router does not have the option to do that.

Have you simply FORGOT the Wifi Connection and retried ?

Of course I've already tried that, did that well before deciding to post on here!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course I've already tried that, did that well before deciding to post on here!

No need to get snippy. You say "Of course" like you actually made a point to inform us of that.

You made a point to say your Wifi said "Saved, Secured". Sometimes the most SIMPLE things are the resolution.
This is a forum. No one knows you, or your level of expertise, or what you have done unless you post it.
So next time you want help, try giving more info and being less vague, and not being so rude to those trying to assist you.

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem periodically. The wifi will connect on the SG4 then all of a sudden the phone will tell me I have no internet. I try to reconnect, but it just does nothing, even though it says 'saved and secure'. I have tried diabling my wifi adapter in the PC, re-enabling it, sometimes that works. Or sometimes I reset the DSL router and that works (I have an app on the PC that lets me share wifi from ethernet). But far too often when this happens, nothing will help. The phone (and other devices) will not connect to wifi, so I have to restart the PC, or even do a system restore (!) to get it all working again. Very frustrating. For some reason, I think, the PC wifi gets changed in some way so the devices see it, but cannot connect. Any further suggestions are appreciated

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem periodically. The wifi will connect on the SG4 then all of a sudden the phone will tell me I have no internet. I try to reconnect, but it just does nothing, even though it says 'saved and secure'. I have tried diabling my wifi adapter in the PC, re-enabling it, sometimes that works. Or sometimes I reset the DSL router and that works (I have an app on the PC that lets me share wifi from ethernet). But far too often when this happens, nothing will help. The phone (and other devices) will not connect to wifi, so I have to restart the PC, or even do a system restore (!) to get it all working again. Very frustrating. For some reason, I think, the PC wifi gets changed in some way so the devices see it, but cannot connect. Any further suggestions are appreciated

Have you tried a different router? I mean if you were at someone elses house and on their wifi same issue? If so, router firmware?

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, my new modems provisioning finally went through recently, so I connected it and the Linksys E4200V2 router, and I can connect my phone to it, unlike in my OP when trying to connect to WiFi with the E1200.

Not sure about my tablet yet, will eventually try it.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, my new modems provisioning finally went through recently, so I connected it and the Linksys E4200V2 router, and I can connect my phone to it, unlike in my OP when trying to connect to WiFi with the E1200.

Not sure about my tablet yet, will eventually try it.

I just noticed something above. Who installs the CD that comes with the router? Worst thing possible in my experience. You seem to have your wits about you, I figured you would have done it manually.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you see anywhere where I said I used the CD, there's an option once you have the router connected to download the software -- which would be newer than the CD -- directly from the router's support page..?!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Do you see anywhere where I said I used the CD, there's an option once you have the router connected to download the software -- which would be newer than the CD -- directly from the router's support page..?!

Listen again you are getting snippy and lippy! CD/SOFTWARE same thing! I don't care if it's the newest version! The last thing I would EVER do is install the router software, I have the brains to do it manually and not clog my PC with garbage. Firmware, yes, that's a different story.
I am really getting sick of your mouth, I am now positive you are some 16 year old little **** living in your parents basement. Watch your mouth it's getting old!

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The new Linksys routers do NOT let you on the 'Net to surf the Web -- among other stuff -- until you install the software! And I'll damn well get snippy if I want, child!

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The new Linksys routers do NOT let you on the 'Net until you install the software! And I'll damn well get snippy if I want, child!

No reason to be rude and snippy to people attempting to help. Same goes for him.

Not everyone is brand specific experts. I know how routers work and even went to school for networking but... I wouldn't know a Linksys router wouldn't let you on till you install the software. Why? Simple.. I don't own a Linksys and probably never will... So details like that all might not know.

I could see why he was asking if you installed the software (cd or not.. No reason to be that picky like he lives with you...) because most don't and honestly you shouldn't have to. I think it's crappy you have to install software from them to have it work.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, my Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 did the Saved, Secured thing a few times, finally got it to connect to the new E4200V2 router.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Basically the issue was an old router. No surprise there.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The new Linksys routers do NOT let you on the 'Net to surf the Web -- among other stuff -- until you install the software! And I'll damn well get snippy if I want, child!

Yes, actually they do. You do not need the software. I have set up many a Linksys, even after Cisco started making them really crappy, and the software has never been needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969