Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
No, it wasn't, because it happened at other places with far better & newer routers than this one. See what he said:

Linsys routers are absolute GARBAGE since Cisco bought them out. I have never experienced more collisions from a router in my life. I will stick what is good Netgear is my number one choice followed close 2nd and 3rd with DLink and Asus now makes routers and they are pretty nice.

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a different router? I mean if you were at someone elses house and on their wifi same issue? If so, router firmware?

I only have the one router and it does usually work for a while. I think maybe some router settings could be changed, but I dare not try it. Either Windows 7 or the router are changing the ip address (I think?) after a certain time. I say that because the phone will be connected to the wifi for a while, then it will say 'no internet'...I try to re-connect and it hangs at 'getting ip address'. So I assume the Virtual Router Plus I use on the PC, or the router or W7 are changing something for some reason? I admit I understand very little of this stuff, it blows my mind that it ever works at all :) thanks

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I only have the one router and it does usually work for a while. I think maybe some router settings could be changed, but I dare not try it. Either Windows 7 or the router are changing the ip address (I think?) after a certain time. I say that because the phone will be connected to the wifi for a while, then it will say 'no internet'...I try to re-connect and it hangs at 'getting ip address'. So I assume the Virtual Router Plus I use on the PC, or the router or W7 are changing something for some reason? I admit I understand very little of this stuff, it blows my mind that it ever works at all :) thanks

Get rid of Virtual Router, any router software. Check their routers support page and do ANY firmware updates available. Then setup the wireless MANUALLY. Then you should have no issues

Ladytron630

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Get rid of Virtual Router, any router software. Check their routers support page and do ANY firmware updates available. Then setup the wireless MANUALLY. Then you should have no issues

Hello mhinc, I have internet dsl broadband at home which i can only connect to my windows 8 laptop. I've downloaded virtual router app just to create a wifi hotspot on my latop. The problem is, my samsung galaxy pro and iphone 4s could not connect to wifi hotspot, it says "network error". The devices can recognize wifi and got signal strength but no internet connection. Any solution? :)

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello mhinc, I have internet dsl broadband at home which i can only connect to my windows 8 laptop. I've downloaded virtual router app just to create a wifi hotspot on my latop. The problem is, my samsung galaxy pro and iphone 4s could not connect to wifi hotspot, it says "network error". The devices can recognize wifi and got signal strength but no internet connection. Any solution? :)

My problem is similar. Much of the time my Android phone does connect to wifi from Virtual Router. But it never lasts very long. All of a sudden the phone is "connected" but there is no internet coming thru the wifi. All I can do is turn off Virtual routher, turn off phone wifi, then turn them both back on and it will connect again (usually) but yesterday none of this worked. I can't set up wifi with Windows method Ad Hoc, since Android will not see Ad Hoc wifi.. I've been nervous about changing router (Westell from Verizon) settings, but could that be a solution?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My problem is similar. Much of the time my Android phone does connect to wifi from Virtual Router. But it never lasts very long. All of a sudden the phone is "connected" but there is no internet coming thru the wifi. All I can do is turn off Virtual routher, turn off phone wifi, then turn them both back on and it will connect again (usually) but yesterday none of this worked. I can't set up wifi with Windows method Ad Hoc, since Android will not see Ad Hoc wifi.. I've been nervous about changing router (Westell from Verizon) settings, but could that be a solution?

STOP USING VIRTUAL ROUTER! It's SIMPLE! Spend 30 bucks get yourself a cheap Wireless G or N router and your problems will be solved! What is with everyone using this virtual router crap and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work???

heartfortheharvest

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Greetings! I'm brand new to this website and I hope you don't mind me asking a question. I have searched through the forums and read the responses but so far my particular problem has not been directly answered. Here's my problem...my Samsung Galaxie S4 does not show 'connect' when I type in my password for home WIFI. For months the phone worked fine on my home WIFI but yesterday it would not connect. I typed in the password again and again but the 'connect' button is greyed out. I have rebooted my buffalo router many times. This same problem exists with all password required WIFI. I can get on WIFI that does not require passwords (if I already have that system in my phone memory) but not if a password is required. Any thoughts? I sincerely appreciate your help.

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
STOP USING VIRTUAL ROUTER! It's SIMPLE! Spend 30 bucks get yourself a cheap Wireless G or N router and your problems will be solved! What is with everyone using this virtual router crap and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work???

I will take your advice if you can tell me whether this will work for me: I have Verizon DSL on the PC. Can I replace the modem VZ gave me with one you recommend? I admit I know little or nothing about all the different kinds of routers, etc. When Virtual Router Plus works, it works fine

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I will take your advice if you can tell me whether this will work for me: I have Verizon DSL on the PC. Can I replace the modem VZ gave me with one you recommend? I admit I know little or nothing about all the different kinds of routers, etc. When Virtual Router Plus works, it works fine

No, that is your modem, you just need a wireless router. You keep what modem Verizon gave you and you hook up a router to it. Go to a Best Buy and ask them for help they will tell you exactly what you need. I highly recommend NetGear or DLink for routers. DO NOT GET LINKSYS! Every since they were bought out by Cisco they have SUCKED

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
No, that is your modem, you just need a wireless router. You keep what modem Verizon gave you and you hook up a router to it. Go to a Best Buy and ask them for help they will tell you exactly what you need. I highly recommend NetGear or DLink for routers. DO NOT GET LINKSYS! Every since they were bought out by Cisco they have SUCKED

Thanks. I did some web searching and found I could buy a DSL/Wireless router for Verizon, all in one device, correct? Example: Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN). Amazon.com: Actiontec 300 Mbps Wireless-N DSL Modem Router (GT784WN): Electronics

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Sure if you want to, that's your call. I would call Verizon in your area first and make sure that make and model is supported by them 100%

I called Vzw about a combo modem/router and they are sending it. Definitely worth $35 if the wifi works all the time. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I called Vzw about a combo modem/router and they are sending it. Definitely worth $35 if the wifi works all the time. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes.

I am sure this will solve your issue. This "Virtual Router" crap seems to cause a virtual headache. Let us know if that fixes the issue once you get it and hook everything up

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree... Use a real router.. Not a fake virtual one. It is most likely the issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree... Use a real router.. Not a fake virtual one. It is most likely the issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Well the Virtual Router Plus does work fine if Windows would let it stay enabled. Very annoying

My report will be delayed: Verizon sent me a wifi adapter instead of the modem/router.....of course. I should get the right thing in a couple days

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
First of all, I have to admit I was pretty ignorant about wifi. I never knew I could have requested a modem/router from Verizon from the beginning and save myself a lot of trouble. Setting this up was pretty easy. Now I have wifi all the time. So thanks to mhinc for the advice. The only question I have is how can I change the wifi password? I was able to log into the router to change the SSID, but I saw no way to change the password...?

I must also admit that Verizon came across extremely well in this situation. When I contacted them by chat to say I had been sent a wifi adapter instead of the router, the person immediately sent me the right device...and I haven't been charged for any of this. Also, it arrived the next day...so I hate Verizon a little less right now :)

seanzilla42

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
What is with everyone using this virtual router crap and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work???
Agreed 100%. However, the object in this day and age appears to be a lot of "anonymity" on the web for some folks, and they are sold on the idea of "hey...use this." LOL!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I have to admit I was pretty ignorant about wifi. I never knew I could have requested a modem/router from Verizon from the beginning and save myself a lot of trouble. Setting this up was pretty easy. Now I have wifi all the time. So thanks to mhinc for the advice. The only question I have is how can I change the wifi password? I was able to log into the router to change the SSID, but I saw no way to change the password...?

I must also admit that Verizon came across extremely well in this situation. When I contacted them by chat to say I had been sent a wifi adapter instead of the router, the person immediately sent me the right device...and I haven't been charged for any of this. Also, it arrived the next day...so I hate Verizon a little less right now :)

First I apologize for taking so long to reply, I have a good reason :) I fell through a large hole and broke my left leg in 3 places Tibea twice and Fibea once on the 30th. Just got out of the hospital last night.
Every router config page is different mahler9. But 9 times out of 10 you will find the wireless password on the same page as the SSID just usually further down, but to a novice it can be confusing.
Usually most routers wireless encryption are set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" Then below that selection you should have the option to choose a "Pass Phrase" this can be anything your heart desires.
8-63 characters. It may be blocked out with stars, and even have a check box to SHOW PASSCODE or PHRASE.
You want to change that to something you prefer and then click SAVE SETTINGS or OK or whatever option you have to save what you have done.
Hope that helps. If not I am sure if you gave Verizon a quick shout they could tell you exactly where that is and how to get to it.
Please let me know if that all worked out for you

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
First I apologize for taking so long to reply, I have a good reason :) I fell through a large hole and broke my left leg in 3 places Tibea twice and Fibea once on the 30th. Just got out of the hospital last night.
Every router config page is different mahler9. But 9 times out of 10 you will find the wireless password on the same page as the SSID just usually further down, but to a novice it can be confusing.
Usually most routers wireless encryption are set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" Then below that selection you should have the option to choose a "Pass Phrase" this can be anything your heart desires.
8-63 characters. It may be blocked out with stars, and even have a check box to SHOW PASSCODE or PHRASE.
You want to change that to something you prefer and then click SAVE SETTINGS or OK or whatever option you have to save what you have done.
Hope that helps. If not I am sure if you gave Verizon a quick shout they could tell you exactly where that is and how to get to it.
Please let me know if that all worked out for you

First of all, "Ouch!" I know what broken limbs are like...

Thanks mhinc for the advice. I actually tried what you suggested and it did not seem to 'take' when I saved the setting. I'll give it another look: it was a bit intimidating, not being certain what I was changing. The current password is spread across 4 boxes in the router web page....assuming that is where I will enter my new one? I'll give it a shot or contact Vzw if necessary.

Thanks, I hope you're recovering very soon! :)

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
First of all, "Ouch!" I know what broken limbs are like...

Thanks mhinc for the advice. I actually tried what you suggested and it did not seem to 'take' when I saved the setting. I'll give it another look: it was a bit intimidating, not being certain what I was changing. The current password is spread across 4 boxes in the router web page....assuming that is where I will enter my new one? I'll give it a shot or contact Vzw if necessary.

Thanks, I hope you're recovering very soon! :)

I don't see a reason it should be spread across 4 boxes..That seems odd. I would contact Verizon for an easy quick walkthrough since they will know their product and support it best

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang