How do you make Gmail app the default mail app?

mcefalu

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I would prefer to see the actual gmail app screen when I click on the email icon on the home page. How can I make that icon point to the gmail gmail app? Is it a matter of just putting the gmail widget on the home page and remove the original icon? Thanks, Mary

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Email icon is specific to the stock Email app on your phone, which can be set up to receive email from multiple different accounts (like Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, etc.)

If you only want to use Gmail, then press & hold the Email icon, then drag it to the Remove or trash can area (which will only remove the shortcut, not the app). Then go to your App Drawer, press and hold Gmail, then drag it to your homescreen.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You can use the widget, but it will be larger than the little icon you have now and will show you a few of your most recent messages. If you just want the icon all you have to do is long tap on the current icon and drag it to the little garbage can/little 'x' (I don't remember which it is in TouchWiz) at the top of the screen (it will appear after you've done your long tap and are able to move the icon). You then just need to go to your apps, long tap on the Gmail app and then drag it to the empty spot.

caldrich

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
The subject states a different problem.
I want to use both, a gmail account and a generic imap based email account (for work).
The regular account got somehow set as the default account for the phone, and I can't figure out how to set it to the gmail account.
Any help?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little unclear on what you're asking, but if what you want to do is use the Email app to access both Gmail and the IMAP account, with the Gmail account as default, then try this: go into the Email app, press the Menu key, select Settings, then Account settings, then select the Gmail account, and then check Default account. Hope this helps

Michelle Strawser

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to do the opposite. I have had 3 email addresses that I have set in my "email" app (gmail included) since I got the phone almost 2 yrs ago. Well now, I not only get the my gmail in my email app but also my gmail app. This is a new problem, likely from some update. Viewing the email on my email app doesn't the email as being read unless I go to my gmail app or gmail on the computer. I've looked in the setting in both apps for a "default" and do not see one other than for sending email. I'm leary about forcing a stop on the gmail app...I don't want to mess anything...so, advice?
thanks

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to do the opposite. I have had 3 email addresses that I have set in my "email" app (gmail included) since I got the phone almost 2 yrs ago. Well now, I not only get the my gmail in my email app but also my gmail app. This is a new problem, likely from some update. Viewing the email on my email app doesn't the email as being read unless I go to my gmail app or gmail on the computer. I've looked in the setting in both apps for a "default" and do not see one other than for sending email. I'm leary about forcing a stop on the gmail app...I don't want to mess anything...so, advice?
thanks
I know this comes quite late but all you need to do is go to settings, apps, all apps, access the one you want to stop getting notifications from and select it. Uncheck receive notifications and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

jakamon

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
First - simply deleting the default Samsung Email icon and then dragging the GMail icon from the Apps to the home page on phone did NOT make Gmail my default email - when I go into phone settings, email, it still shows the default Samsung icon and options, not GMails.

Regarding another issue raised in this string:
I'm having a similar problem regarding the default email app on Samsung Note 2 showing wrong # UNREAD messages:

Background: The email icon shows #unread emails - good, I like this.
Problem: If I use a DIFFERENT email client, say GMail, on phone or on laptop, when I read the email using a non-Samsung email app, the Samsung email client does not that I have already read them with a different client, they are still shown (and counted) as UNREAD, even tho I have read them with a different client.

This USED to work - eg:
1) Samsung email client shows 5 unread emails in counter on icon on phone.
2) Use a DIFFERENT email client, say Gmail, and read 3 messages. Gmail now, shows 2 UNREAD messages.
3) Return to Samsung Note 2 phone, and the default email Icon STILL shows 5 UNREAD email messages.

The ONLY way to get the UNREAD count down on the default Samsung email icon is to re-read them using the default Samsung Email app.

I dont recall the android update that broke this, but it USED to work - reading emails with GMail was detected by the default Samsung email client and it USED to show only 2 remaining UNREAD messages - today it shows 5.

JohnLP

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to get Gmail to be the app recognized as the email app on the Entune audio system in my Toyota. I know this is not a Toyota forum but I can't find any solutions on those. Any ideas? Samsung Galaxy S6 is paired to Entune.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to SETTINGS, MORE, APPILICATION MANAGER, Hold down the Gmail icon. Tap "Launch by default"

That should make the Gmail App your default Email App

I have the same 4 email accounts set up in both and have both on my homescreen! Sometime I can get an Email on one app a long time before I receive it on the other app! Not sure why!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz