iPhone person here looking for advice !

Matt D Cooper

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have always been an Apple person, I've had the iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4s and now the 5.

I am now looking to get a new phone, and the Samsung really tempts me, I love the look of the new Note 3, equally I like the S4 also.

I understand that you can use a migration tool to transfer all your stuff? however there is one thing that I would hate to lose and I cant find any information on it, in the iPhone when you take a picture it GPS tags it, so I have over 1200 pictures from all over the world and I really don't want to lose that tagging.

I cant find anywhere that tells me if that data does move across? or if its lost in the process?

Also the storage confuses me slightly, im very frustrated at the lack of the higher storage model of the S4 in the uk, because I prefer all the data to be on the phone rather than some on phone and some on card, I probably am very odd! but I don't like the idea of being forced to have some apps on the phone that you cant move across, then some on the card and things in different places.

I would be really grateful for some advice :)

Thanks

Matthew

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have always been an Apple person, I've had the iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4s and now the 5.

I am now looking to get a new phone, and the Samsung really tempts me, I love the look of the new Note 3, equally I like the S4 also.

I understand that you can use a migration tool to transfer all your stuff? however there is one thing that I would hate to lose and I cant find any information on it, in the iPhone when you take a picture it GPS tags it, so I have over 1200 pictures from all over the world and I really don't want to lose that tagging.

I cant find anywhere that tells me if that data does move across? or if its lost in the process?

Also the storage confuses me slightly, im very frustrated at the lack of the higher storage model of the S4 in the uk, because I prefer all the data to be on the phone rather than some on phone and some on card, I probably am very odd! but I don't like the idea of being forced to have some apps on the phone that you cant move across, then some on the card and things in different places.

I would be really grateful for some advice :)

Thanks

Matthew
Welcome to the forums!
I haven't done any transfers from Apple to Samsung, but I can try to help.
Some of Apples stuff is difficult or not transferable due to the DRMs they have on media. I know people initially have to jump through hoops to get their music to work, but it can be done.

As for your data concern, it depends on what kind of data you are talking about. I like having SD cards. I can swap them out easily, and they are an inexpensive way to increase the storage capacity of my device. I typically put media files (Music, phone videos, pictures) on there along with ROM backups and ROM files.

Your geotagged pictures may be in the same boat. It depends on how Apple sets that up, and if Android can read it. You are the first person I have come across to have concerns for tagging. Others have mentioned it, but they said for them, it wasn't a deal breaker if it didn't transfer over.

As for the space on the S4, the amount of user space is about 8GB on the 16 GB model. 3 for the OS, and about 5 for the Samsung extras.

I think I hit all your questions. Any others, ask.

Matt D Cooper

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello Golfdriver97,

Thanks for the quick reply !

Yes I understand, thankfully I don't really have any music on my iPhone and it doesn't really bother me that much, I have over 25GB of pictures however as I have always backed up and restored when upgrading to the latest one, so that is my biggest concern :)

I am quite happy with the media cards, I think the thing that concerns me is that some apps will only install to the internal memory? which then in my mind makes your phone setup very untidy. im used to there just being 1 storage space, and everything going in one place and all being backed up in 1 file etc etc.

I suppose its just what you get used to. Im just a bit careful about jumping to the Samsung if I will lose that data, because it is quite important to me :).

Thanks for your reply :)

Matt

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am quite happy with the media cards, I think the thing that concerns me is that some apps will only install to the internal memory? which then in my mind makes your phone setup very untidy. im used to there just being 1 storage space, and everything going in one place and all being backed up in 1 file etc etc.
The easiest way to handle that is to just install all of your apps on the internal memory and all your media on the SD card. Unless you play graphic intensive games you won't have a problem with fitting everything you want on the internal storage. FWIW, I have ~110 apps and over 7GB of internal memory free and that's with the 16GB S4.

I don't know if Android will read the GPS tags or not, but if you keep them backed up somewhere other than your phone you'll be able to retain the tagging there.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello Golfdriver97,

Yes I understand, thankfully I don't really have any music on my iPhone and it doesn't really bother me that much, I have over 25GB of pictures however as I have always backed up and restored when upgrading to the latest one, so that is my biggest concern :)

I suppose its just what you get used to. Im just a bit careful about jumping to the Samsung if I will lose that data, because it is quite important to me :).

Matt
Well, first let me say that some transfers are a little easier with a program called Kies. It's Samsung's answer to iTunes, available on Samsung's website, and may be the answer you are looking for.

As for the SD card/apps thing; An earlier version of Android, 2.3 Gingerbread, allowed for apps to go to the SD card. While it seemed nice, there were 2 caveats: 1. Developers had to support it. If they didn't, it couldn't move. 2. Under normal circumstances, the data for an app is already segregated into different parts of memory. Adding the SD card just added another part, and caused app to load more slowly. I really didn't care for it. People are clamoring over it because of the lack of storage space on the S4 after all of Samsung's extras. But people don't realize about the first point I made.

As for the untidiness you mentioned...Samsung has an app called My Files. It's a file explorer app, similar to Windows, and allows you to look at your files on both storage locations. That app may seem confusing, but it only allows you to view files you can actually look at, and doesn't allow core files to be accidentally deleted. In actuality, it sounds messier than it is. Android does a good job of keeping things straight.

Hopefully that cleared up a few things. Anything else?

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey There!

I am a previous iPhone convert. Had the S4 for 5 months now and love it. I didn't know about transferring when I first got the phone, but used an app diretly from Samsung online ( I can't think of the name) and I have used Android File Transfer also. My tags didn't transfer over, so I am not sure if I did something wrong or not, but I put them directly onto my sd card, by jsut plugging it in via usb and dragging my whole photo library and music library onto it. I thought that was pretty straight forward and easy to grasp lol. I backed up all my iphone data via Gmail through iTunes so it was a breeze restoring the S4 as it was done through gmail. There are a lot of other apps to do this though also :)

I have not had any issues with storage thus far, having about 12gb of photos and approx 5gb of music. I jsut make sure to keep a back up of all my photos incase something happens (which I am sure you would also)

Play around with the phone in stores and get a feel for it. Its an amazing device! Would never return to an iphone after my Android experience.

Good luck!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello Golfdriver97,

Matt

It may also be best to play with as many phones as on your carrier. A lot of iPhone converts love the HTC One as well. The Moto X is a nice device too (Pretty new, so some bugs and kinks are going to be an issue).

Matt D Cooper

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone, that all sounds much better than I had imagined :).

I still think I may plump for the Note 3 once its released, I think I will prefer the bigger screen and the fact its coming with more internal storage will make me happier that Im not going to run out anytime soon. As I currently have a 32GB iPhone, that's all I will need plus the memory card.

Thanks again guys :) I will definitely pop back on here once I have my new Samsung :)

Matt