delay in viewing or sharing downloaded pictures

rockjonny

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I hope I'm posting in the right place...

When I download a picture from my browser (chrome or mozilla, same on both) and then I click on the notification that it's downloaded to view the picture, the only option I get for sharing is the screen mirroring option. It shows the little yellow gallery icon in the top left and the screen mirror button on the right, and nothing else.
There are no other sharing options and pushing the menu button doesn't do anything except give me the option to "set as," which is not what I want to do. I have to wait sometimes up to 20 minutes for the picture to appear in the gallery so I can't manually find it there and share. Doesn't happen with camera pictures or downloaded from tumblr or anything, only ones that go to the "downloaded" folder in gallery.

Any help at all would be appreciated. I really hope this isn't samsung trying to force screen mirror on people.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It isn't... I have no issues when I download pictures in my phone. That's weird...

Try this: Right after you download the picture, go into File Manager (Or My Files, can't remember the name hehe) or your favorite File Manager app. Find the Downloads folder. Is the picture there?

Also, are you downloading to SD card or internal memory? If you've set the folder to the SD Card, try setting it to the Internal Memory and see if the issue persists. I've had multiple issues with different SD Cards in mine and I had the same issue in a Note 2 and Galaxy S3, so I KNOW Samsung is doing something wrong with SD Card reading, so they usually unmount/remount themselves randomly, causing the files to 'not be available' for some time until the remount and scanning is complete.

rockjonny

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not stored on the SD card, but on the internal memory. /storage/emulated/0/download is the directory. It's only happening with pictures that go here I think (hence gReader, Tumblr, etc downloads being fine). Is there a way to change the download directory? maybe if I made a new one it might fix the problem?

I can browse to the picture with the My Files app, but again, opening it in there only gives me the option of sharing the picture with screen mirroring and the option "set as" when I hit the menu button.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's so weird... You can change the directory path in the stock browser, but only to Internal Memory or SD Card. For Chrome (at least stable version, don't know about Beta) you can't. Maybe Firefox has this option in the settings.

rockjonny

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay I seem to have solved it by using quickpic. So it's only the gallery application it won't let me share in. That is very weird indeed. It didn't used to happen, and then all of a sudden started, but I don't recall any software update or anything that would have caused it.

Tazz3L

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
When I download a picture from my browser (chrome or mozilla, same on both) and then I click on the notification that it's downloaded to view the picture, the only option I get for sharing is the screen mirroring option. It shows the little yellow gallery icon in the top left and the screen mirror button on the right, and nothing else.
There are no other sharing options and pushing the menu button doesn't do anything except give me the option to "set as," which is not what I want to do. I have to wait sometimes up to 20 minutes for the picture to appear in the gallery so I can't manually find it there and share. Doesn't happen with camera pictures or downloaded from tumblr or anything, only ones that go to the "downloaded" folder in gallery.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

I have a Samsung S5 behaving this same way with downloaded pictures from email (both Gmail and AOL mail). I can see the preview of the image but it is taking 20 minutes to 2 hours to appear in the download folder and become visible in Gallery. I have Lookout installed. The phone is less than one week old.

I have run an SD card speed test program - A1 SD Bench - my speeds are
SD Card1 Read: 24MB/s Write: 7.73 MB/s
SD Card2 Read 170MB/s and 61MB/s
Internal Read 178MB/S 60/MBs

I have no idea why it sees 2 SD cards. It does this on both S5 phones that I have access to test. The phone that is downloading correctly has slower speeds than the ones reported here.

What might fix this extreme delay in downloaded images appearing in the gallery? :) THANKS!

Tazz3L

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I contacted Samsung support "online Chat" and this was suggested:
Julie: Have you tried clearing cache partition on the phone from Android recovery menu to check the result?
Visitor: Where is the android recovery menu?
Julie: Please follow below steps to clear the cache partition on the phone which may resolve the issue.
Julie: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
Julie: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
Julie: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
Julie: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
Julie: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the "Wipe Cache Partition" option and press the Power key to select.
Julie: 6. After the cache deletes, press the Power key to reboot system now.

Since I do not have the problem phone with me at the moment, I will try these steps soon.

Meanwhile,
I'm also wondering if the SD card has a corrupted file. So if clearing the cache does not solve the problem, then I'll back up the SD card contents then have the phone format the SD card. The SD card in my situation was moved from a very old HTC phone to the S5 without being "unmounted".

CleverGuy228

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I hope I'm posting in the right place...

Any help at all would be appreciated. I really hope this isn't samsung trying to force screen mirror on people.

Dude, its simple af. Just reinstall **** and it will be ok like previosly. Ur captain *flew away*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan