Hello!!

I am a new Galaxy S4 owner and so far I am loving my phone.. except for a few small issues...

One being that I cannot use my phone will in a phone call. I have had several phones in the past and all were able to do this. I have had issues of not having the flash go off on other phones... but never the issue of not being able to take a picture all together. Am I crazy and there is a setting to allow me to do this? Or is Galaxy S4 falling behind in this area.

Anyone able to help me PLEASE!!!???

Thanks! Mel
    09-10-2013 01:32 PM
    Umm.. I was just able to take a picture while on a phone call without any issues. I made a call, hit the home button, opened the camera, and it just worked.

What happens when you try to open the camera app/take a picture while on a call?
    fantom305 likes this.
    09-10-2013 02:36 PM
    Depends on your carrier. Sprint disables it and the phone must be rooted and modified to allow it.
    09-10-2013 03:23 PM
    I get the message "Cannot start camera while in call."

Wow, I will have to call them to see what they can do for me then. I need it for work.. I was stupid and thought that was automatic since my other phones with Sprint so I didnt check. Any reason why they would disable it?? My mother has the Optimus G on Sprint. That is a newer phone.. Why would they do it for just one phone??

Also, my mother has a friend that works for Sprint and she was surprised that it didnt work.
    09-10-2013 06:37 PM
    I get the message "Cannot start camera while in call."

Wow, I will have to call them to see what they can do for me then. I need it for work.. I was stupid and thought that was automatic since my other phones with Sprint so I didnt check. Any reason why they would disable it?? My mother has the Optimus G on Sprint. That is a newer phone.. Why would they do it for just one phone??

Also, my mother has a friend that works for Sprint and she was surprised that it didnt work.
    Don't know what their reasoning for it could be. Since rooting my phone is my nature, I found the method to change it and did so. I also enabled the Shutter Sound menu option for the camera while I was in there.
    09-10-2013 07:12 PM
    What are the pros and cons to rooting your phone.. if there are any. I have never had to do this. If I call Sprint and complain, can they do it? I have been with Sprint over 10 years(I just turned 26 and that statement hurts the soul) and I just renewed this contract 2 weeks ago. So still in buyers remorse. Cant I just threaten to leave until they fix me like they normally do? Or is rooting my only option?
    09-10-2013 07:28 PM
    There's nothing they can do about it but give you a totally different phone (not an S4). No one company-related can help beyond that. They probably won't change it with a future software update either. Rooting is the only option, and only you (or someone you know with experience and trust) can do it. Aside from the two tweaks mentioned, rooting will also allow you to activate the native hotspot under your own terms and not rely on Sprint's pay-per-use service, which is a big bonus for many. You'll be able to create the best backups with your device rooted, although Samsung and Google stuffed enough crap in there to back up everything except application data. This is just the out of the gate stuff that most new users will want to do.

The one major con is not paying attention to directions and screwing up your phone, although so far no one has been able to mess it up beyond personal repair. Aside from that, the only other thing is possibly having to either unroot or root again for a software update which can sometimes be a nuisance.
    09-10-2013 07:46 PM
    So just to be clear.. besides it being a pain to get your updates.. there are no cons.. It will not void my warranty? Or make my insurance plan(through Best Buy) unusable..??
    09-10-2013 08:09 PM
    So just to be clear.. besides it being a pain to get your updates.. there are no cons.. It will not void my warranty? Or make my insurance plan(through Best Buy) unusable..??
    I will void your warranty..... look at it this way.... they will honor what they sold you.... nothing more ...nothing less..... you will have to revert to the original OS in order to get warranty..... as far as Best Buy I can not say for sure... but if you have a replacement insurance .. I will tend to say you should not have any problem.......
    09-10-2013 08:47 PM