Often, I'm prompted to chose an application for example, when opening Google Maps. I select "Chrome" and I'm asked "Once" or "Always". If I select always, I'm told to go to Application Manager > All > Reset Preferences (or something along those lines)

I can't find an "All" in Application manager, and even if I could, why would I want to reset all preferences?

I've had to type the above mostly from memory, never a good choice in my case, but when I tried to reproduce the sequence, it went straight to Google Chrome. I'm pretty sure it will prompt me again next time around; I get these messages all the time!
    09-10-2013 04:50 PM
    That's kindof how Android works. When you choose an action where there's multiple apps installed to accomplish it (in your case, it's a browser...whether you want to use Chrome or the default browser), it'll ask you which one you want to use.

The first time you do it, you can choose what you want (i.e. Chrome) and then select "Always" or "Just Once" which tells it whether or not you want to always use chrome or just this one time (in which case you'll get prompted again). If you choose Always, it remembers that setting, and your GS4 reminds you how to reset it (in case you ever not want to use Chrome, you'll have to clear the default that you just set so you get prompted again).

You'll see this behavior with other apps as well, such as if you have two camera apps installed (you would get this if you're using another app like Facebook or Instagram and go to attach a photo, it'll ask which camera app you want to use to take a picture). Or if you have multiple gallery apps available...etc.

You should only have to set the preference once per app (unfortunately telling Facebook you always want to use Camera App #1 doesn't mean Instagram will know you want to use Camera App #1 so Instagram will ask you too).

You should see the notices diminish as you continue to set your preferences.

I should also note that if you then install a third camera app, you'll get prompted again because Android will recognize there's now another option available so it'll ask you if you again which one you want to use.

Oh, and I don't have the message right now, but it's Menu->System Settings->Application Manager-> (swipe twice to the right over to "All") ->pick your app->clear defaults. This will reset any defaults you have for that app (like Chrome) so the next time you click something that's going to use the browser, you'll get prompted again. This is helpful if you suddenly decide you don't want to use Chrome as the default any more.
    YragTtocs and Steve Swift like this.
    09-10-2013 05:00 PM
    Gosh! Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

I hadn't realised that the Application Manager had more "stuff" over on the right; I'm not yet accustomed to right/left scrolling, and didn't notice the hint that there was more stuff eastwards.

I think, in my hunt for the elusive "ALL" in Application Manager, that I may have reset all of my preferences, because strange things have been happening. For example, the physical button below the display started prompting me for the handling app. Fortunately, I sorted that one out by myself (more or less). This is my nightmare, doing something by mistake, and then not knowing how to undo what I did. Perhaps I should take more backups of my settings, in case I have to "go back to yesterday".
    09-12-2013 01:14 AM