At some point in the last few months my UK Galaxy S4 (on 3 network but unlocked) I9505 has stopped detecting a specific type of NFC tag. I suspect it has been knocked out by an update by Samsung as I have changed batteries with a brand new one to no avail.

I went into Carphone warehouse and got them to try the Mifare Ultralight C tags (which did work for me for many months) on other phones. Curiously their staff owned S4s did NOT detect the tag either however the brand new in box phones did! This is when I swapped the battery from a working one into my phone to no avail.

I factory reset my phone but still the tags were not detected. Mifare Classic 1K tags WERE detected but correctly showed the 'tag not supported' message due to the Broadcom chipset in the S4 (The S3 has the NXP chipset and does support the Classic 1K). I used my Google Nexus 7 to check and identify the tags were working and of the correct type.

I went to the Samsung website and found that they indeed confirm that Ultralight C tags ARE supported.

Goto Samsung website / support / mobile phone / choose S4 / Troubleshooting / FAQ ....and search for NFC then click the FAQ link marked "[897701] Why does my Galaxy S4 fail to recognise some NFC tags that the Galaxy S3 recognises?"

It States

"Examples of NFC tags that the Galaxy S4 supports include: NFC Forum type 1 - 4, Mifare DesFire, Mifare UltraLight, and Mifare UltraLight C.

Examples of NFC tags that the Galaxy S4 does not support include: the Mifare Classic series (Mifare Classic 1K, 3K, Mifare Mini, Mifare Plus 2K and Mifare Plus 4K)."
    I phoned Samsung UK customer technical support who said it was news to them and they will escalate it and get back to me. They said factory resetting the phone wont remove the updates so suggested I re-flash my phone but couldn't tell me how to do it!

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
    2. Do you know why this is happening?
    3. Is there a workaround/fix that doesnt cripple me to old firmware?
    4. What is the best way for me to change the ROMs on this model? (Details below)

About My Phone....

Model: GT-I9505
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    Baseband Version: I9505XXUDMH8
    Kernel Version: 3.4.0-1220396
    Build number: JDQ39.I9505XXUDMH8
    SELinux status: Enforcing
    Secure Boot Status: Type:Samsung

AP: I9505XXUDMH8
    CP: I9505XXUDMH8

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    09-12-2013 06:11 AM