Peeps

Need your assistance please.

My beloved wife has a S4 and she says that it keeps crashing when she opens the photo gallery. Once it crashes and exits the app, she can try again and it may work it may crash.

Has a quick search and there doesn't seem to be anyone else with a similar problem. Could this be a OS issue or maybe a SD card issue. I had to reformat her SD card as it was all corrupt.

Here device is complety stock and up to date. Not rooted.

Any advice would be brillaint.

Thanks
    09-12-2013 07:59 AM
    Peeps

My beloved wife has a S4 and she says that it keeps crashing when she opens the photo gallery. Once it crashes and exits the app, she can try again and it may work it may crash.

Has a quick search and there doesn't seem to be anyone else with a similar problem. Could this be a OS issue or maybe a SD card issue. I had to reformat her SD card as it was all corrupt.

Thanks
    Try rebooting into recovery and clearing cache. There may be a data conflict between updates and may help. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...2-s3-tab2.html
    09-12-2013 09:02 AM
    I've suggested this to others with Gallery problems, and I'll suggest it to you, get QuickPic, and all your problems will be solved:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensw.PicFolder
    09-12-2013 09:04 AM
    Cheers guys. I will give that a go.

Will report back.

Sent via my mobile communications device.
    09-12-2013 10:39 AM
    Try rebooting into recovery and clearing cache. There may be a data conflict between updates and may help. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...2-s3-tab2.html
    I tried what you asked and I didn't work. Was unable to boot onto recovery.

Could only get it to reboot on Odin mode.

09-15-2013 07:46 AM
    Did you even bother with what I suggested..?!
    09-15-2013 08:05 AM
    Did you even bother with what I suggested..?!
    It doesn't really solve the problem to be honest. Its just circumventing it.

I did mention it but she wasn't interested. She likes the stock app when it runs.

Thanks for your input. Shame about your manners.

Shanicenicolle likes this.
    09-15-2013 08:42 AM
    Did she take any pictures that used sound? I've found a couple people (myself included) who have had this issue because of a camera mode used, and when I downloaded quickpic, the issue just transferred over to quickpic (even though its a wicked app and I use it now). I backed up all my photos and videos then went in and delred the ones that weren't regular video or the regular camera mode, restarted the phone and my problem has never returned. I had some guy say its basically a stupid theory and its not a corrupt file or anything, has to be Samsung's gallery app, but it worked for me and some others and has never happened again, so if you need a last resort you could always try it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app
    deejayburnout likes this.
    09-15-2013 09:02 AM
    Peeps

Thanks
    Try going to the applications manager then gallery and clearing the cache there. This helped with keyboard issues on my s3 in the past

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    09-15-2013 09:11 AM
    Also try upgrading to QuickPic, switch to a non TouchWiz launcher (spelled Nova/Nova Prime), and disable any carrier bloat. Doing these things can free up precious RAM which may benifit the issue, while making her phone more useful and sliq.

Note 8.0
    09-15-2013 09:14 AM
    Thanks for the 3 last suggestions.

Will give them all a go for her.

I had a quick look at this quick pic on Google play.

Going to check it out myself.

Thanks all.

:o
    09-15-2013 09:35 AM
    I tried what you asked and I didn't work. Was unable to boot onto recovery.

Could only get it to reboot on Odin mode.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but did you make sure you hit volume up during the process?
    09-15-2013 09:35 AM
    I don't mean to sound condescending, but did you make sure you hit volume up during the process?
    No worries.

I did try it both volume up and volume down and Odin mode would only load. Volume up and the device booted as normal.

When I do the volume up on my rooted S2 it boots into recovery OK.

Will the recovery only work on rooted devices?

09-15-2013 10:32 AM
    No worries.

I did try it both volume up and volume down and Odin mode would only load. Volume up and the device booted as normal.

When I do the volume up on my rooted S2 it boots into recovery OK.

Will the recovery only work on rooted devices?

That's just it...there should be a stock recovery...

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-15-2013 10:38 AM
    That's just it...there should be a stock recovery...

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    Yea volume up+power+home buttons pulled due into a stock recovery mode. Weird.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    09-15-2013 11:04 AM
    Tried again and no stock recovery.

Oh well.

Will try the other methods

09-15-2013 12:49 PM
    Tried again and no stock recovery.

Oh well.

Will try the other methods

A customers recovery like TWRP and CWM can be flashed to your phone. But it does void the warranty.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-15-2013 01:13 PM
    I thought after the latest update there was nothing we could do...no rooting...no ROMing.

Note 8.0
    09-15-2013 01:30 PM
    A customers recovery like TWRP and CWM can be flashed to your phone. But it does void the warranty.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    I have CWM on my S2. Don't want to flash her phone as its only a few months old and she would go ape if i voided her warranty.

I tired cleaning the gallery cache and so far its hasn't crashed yet. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    09-15-2013 03:09 PM
    I have CWM on my S2. Don't want to flash her phone as its only a few months old and she would go ape if i voided her warranty.

I tired cleaning the gallery cache and so far its hasn't crashed yet. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all
    Cool.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-15-2013 03:23 PM
    Try these steps if you haven't already:
    go into settings > more > application manager
    swipe to the section/tab that says "ALL" scroll down until you see Gallery then Clear cache and Clear data

Hope that helps bud
    09-15-2013 06:59 PM
    I had the same problem and many people here has or have had the same problem because I have seen a thread like that here. Mine came from uploading couple of pictures and video through DropBox and then getting rid of DropBox.... I did battery pull, cache clean and through volume+power+home, it did work for a few time and then back to crashing. The only thing that worked for me was going into my files (file manager) all the way down to where the pictures were saved and deleted the pictures that were corrupted. After that it started working normally but with the problem that a black window for those pictures still there in the gallery and I can not delete them but at least the gallery works, in the mean time I downloaded and use in between Quickpic. I don't know if this will help you but at least is one more piece of information.
    09-15-2013 07:25 PM
    Looks like its began crashing a few times and each time it has and I have checked it, she has about 20 apps open in the background.

She doesn't shut down apps and I am beginning to think that it maybe lack of memory that's causing it.

09-22-2013 12:02 PM