I lost count at how many forums, websites, threads, posts I have seen about pre-installed apps ruining peoples devices by draining battery or over heating.

I myself is experiencing that right now. My idle usage is at 20% of battery use so I downloaded wakelock and all my wake times are harmless, i'm talking about less then 10 seconds.

I have no idea what to do and my idle % doesnt drop, it skips from 18-20% battery usage.

I had just got my s4 3 days ago and I just got the update for 4.2.2 so I dont want to reset and lose my update.

All I have installed on my phone is sports center app and instagram and none have shown signs of keeping my phone awake in any battery usage app
    09-16-2013 12:02 PM
    I lost count at how many forums, websites, threads, posts I have seen about pre-installed apps ruining peoples devices by draining battery or over heating.

I myself is experiencing that right now. My idle usage is at 20% of battery use so I downloaded wakelock and all my wake times are harmless, i'm talking about less then 10 seconds.

I have no idea what to do and my idle % doesnt drop, it skips from 18-20% battery usage.

I had just got my s4 3 days ago and I just got the update for 4.2.2 so I dont want to reset and lose my update.

All I have installed on my phone is sports center app and instagram and none have shown signs of keeping my phone awake in any battery usage app
    In Settings - Battery, what are the major battery users in order of %? And how is your phone battery actually doing when you leave it idle - how much power as a % does it lose overnight if it's not on a charger? Note that the %s shown in Settings - Battery just tell you the relative contribution each item makes toward whatever battery use has taken place since it was fully charged, and that relative contribution is different from how much of the total battery charge has been used.
    09-16-2013 12:33 PM

1. Depending on how you use your device, that "idle" % may be perfectly normal. For example, I just checked my device, and it shows 17% under "idle", over the last 16 hours (which I admit were under low use and while I was sleeping). Given the fact that I almost always get at least 24 hours out of single charge and my battery performance is fine, I don't think that's anything to be alarmed about...if you're device is spending large amounts of time idle, then that number will be higher.

(In other words, "idle" isn't power being drawn from any pre-installed software necessarily, but simply power used by the phone being "turned on" and not doing anything else).

2. A factory reset on an Android does NOT remove any installed OS updates. A factory reset simply wipes all personal data and settings, and basically gets you to an "out of the box" configuration, but unlike Apple devices however, no updates are removed. In fact, other than flashing an older system image, there is no real way to un-install android OS updates. I'm not sure if a factory reset is recommended in your case (frankly I think we would need more info to make that determination), but I just wanted to clear that up.
    09-16-2013 12:47 PM
    ive found that shutting down things like google location, and play store make a difference, before i go to bed, i close all apps, wifi, gps,data,bluetooth, ive also only got 4 homescreens running, this gives a 4% usage over nite, and only turn on things like wifi, gps,bluetooth, data when needed, and by doing this i get at least 2 days usage, when you start using all the gimics like voice activasion, or leave google play store and location running thats what eats up battery time, it only takes a second to turn these things on and off, but saves alot of battery drain, obviously if you want to run all the apps and gimics on the s4, you will have to put up with less usage time, its a trade off on any smart phone. all the things that these smart phones can do sound great on paper, but in the real world there not so great, unless you have spare batteries to hand.
    09-16-2013 02:31 PM
    I also found that by, turning off 4g, it stops my s4 searching for a signal all the time, as in the uk the 4g signal is not that good yet, so i have my phone set to 3g,2g only, thats made a difference aswell, probably in a years time when 4g has been running a while it might be worth turning 4g back on. i also get a better and more consistantly higher signal.
    09-16-2013 02:40 PM