google wifi backup

Coopsdm

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi chaps.... first post here and sorry if it's a typically newbie question but.....
If google backs up my wifi password then why do I have to re-enter the password to my s4 every few days or so?

Posted via Android Central App

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi chaps.... first post here and sorry if it's a typically newbie question but.....
If google backs up my wifi password then why do I have to re-enter the password to my s4 every few days or so?

Are you having to re-enter your wifi password to make a connection through your wifi router? If so, that doesn't have anything to do with Google backup. Once you enter your wifi password for your wifi network/router in the wifi section of your Connection settings that should work forever, unless you change the password in your router.

Coopsdm

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes every few days or so I have to re-enter the wifi password to enable a connection to my router. Its quite annoying :)

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes every few days or so I have to re-enter the wifi password to enable a connection to my router. Its quite annoying :)

I'd say "that shouldn't be happening," but you already know that. Please give us the details of exactly what's happening.

Coopsdm

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Basically despite having my works wifi saved it doesnt always connect automatically. I will have to select the network from the list and re-enter the password to get a connection. Its always the same password so that can't be the issue. It's very bizarre but there must be a simple explanation! :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Basically despite having my works wifi saved it doesnt always connect automatically. I will have to select the network from the list and re-enter the password to get a connection. Its always the same password so that can't be the issue. It's very bizarre but there must be a simple explanation! :)

It can depend on several things...

Can I assume this only happens in this one location and not others? Since you said it happens at work, do you know if other folks have similar issues?

Generally, when you connect to a wifi network, the following happens:
1. The router checks your device against any mac filters it may have in place (we'll assume that this is not the problem)
2. The router verifies that you have entered the correct password (key) for the connection to proceed
3. Computer/device, once it has acknowledged that the router has accepted the request to connect, sends a DHCP request for an IP address on the router's local network. (this is required to communicate with other devices on network and the Internet).
4. Router responds with DHCP response and device is assigned an IP address.

Your failure could be occurring at any of these phases. Sometimes, for example, if a lot of devices are on a single network, the IP addresses available for the router to assign get depleted, though this usually prevents NEW devices from connecting, not existing ones. It seems that some routers don't always realize that an existing device has left and now returned, and thus it must re-issue an IP address...that could be your problem...? It may even be an intentional security setting on the router to force all devices to re-authenticate after a certain amount of time (which is why I asked if this happens to others).

Assuming this isolated to this particular location (and thus probably not an issue with the phone in general), and assuming this is not the desired behavior of the router/access point, then my first recommendation is usually to power cycle to the router first to see if that fixes the problem, and it may also be a good idea to check for firmware updates which often address issues like this. Unfortunately, if this is a work environment, you may not have the ability to perform any troubleshooting on the router itself.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
It is also possible that work is using multiple routers, each with the same broadcast name, but with (of course) different mac addresses. This will result in asking for the password if the name, mac address and password dont all match from the last connection.