stuck on sprint yellow screen after rooting and changing some files for wifi

dakotasdad1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok all you Genius's out there (and I dont mean that sarcastically, I mean that sincerely ) I have dove into a world just a bit over my head with the help of some on line research, and have managed to brick my new galaxy s4. Did i back it up you ask... no, dont even know how.. but here is what i did do: I did root the phone successfully, the next step i changed the services.jar, and services.odex files by adding .bak to the filenames. the i inserted the downloaded services.jar, and services.odex files that were supossed to make the hotspot work, into the system folder and rebooted the phone, it hangs up on the yellow sprint screen... so from there i wiped all user data, wiped the cache and did factory reset. .. it still gets stuck at the yellow screen. does anyone know of a way to get into the phone system folder through a PC and delete the 2 modified files, and change the original 2 files back ?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok all you Genius's out there (and I dont mean that sarcastically, I mean that sincerely ) I have dove into a world just a bit over my head with the help of some on line research, and have managed to brick my new galaxy s4. Did i back it up you ask... no, dont even know how.. but here is what i did do: I did root the phone successfully, the next step i changed the services.jar, and services.odex files by adding .bak to the filenames. the i inserted the downloaded services.jar, and services.odex files that were supossed to make the hotspot work, into the system folder and rebooted the phone, it hangs up on the yellow sprint screen... so from there i wiped all user data, wiped the cache and did factory reset. .. it still gets stuck at the yellow screen. does anyone know of a way to get into the phone system folder through a PC and delete the 2 modified files, and change the original 2 files back ?

Welcome to the forums!
Can you get into Download mode, by powering off and rebooting by pressing volume down, home and power?

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
yes . I and i have solved this problem. i downloaded the stock ROM to my pc, and using oden 3 was able to restore the phone.
When you perform the HotSpot mod, you have to choose the files that are for your software version. There are a lot of outdated tutorials out there that still have files for the first (MDC) and second (MDL) software versions for our S4 (Sprint). If you have installed all the software updates, you will be up to version MF9. Go to QbKing77 | Your Tech Simplified following the video and using the MF9 Odex files. Since you've just reinstalled your stock ROM, save yourself some possible trouble and perform a factory reset after you install MF9 (if you didn't Odin in the stock MF9 ROM). :)

declfier

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem and I'm running the MF9 and followed the video to the T so. I'm alittle confused but downloading the stock rom for MF9 right now hopefully I didn't brick a brand new phone :-/

dakotasdad1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You will be ok odin in the stock MF9 ROM , and after do the upates, then root the phone and download WiFi Tether router from play store, it works as hotspot just fine, no issues.

dustybottomms

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey There,

I literally just did the same thing you did to your Galaxy phone... I changed the same file names.. and when I rebooted.. it freezes on the yellow sprint screen.

Did you every find a way to fix it?

Thanks,

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey There,

I literally just did the same thing you did to your Galaxy phone... I changed the same file names.. and when I rebooted.. it freezes on the yellow sprint screen.

Did you every find a way to fix it?

Thanks,
You have to use Odin to put the ROM back in order for your software version/carrier. The necessary files and instructions can be found on XDA.

neikiddo

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Havin the same issue, switched out the servies files to do the wifi mod, gettin locked up at the yellow screen. Im runnin the latest build, MK2. I downloaded ( i think ) the stock rom for MK2, but keeps failing on Odin 3. Any directions to help me get my phone back up and goin? Or at least a link to a confirmed stock rom?

Branden Jackson

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought the Note 5 and it is doing the same thing explained here. I woke up Christmas morning to the phone being stuck on the sprint screen. After repeated reboot attempts it stayed stuck there for 2 days, so I took it to Best Buy where I bought it and they re-downloaded the software and I did a factory reset, still no luck. Any help?