Why everyone is bashing the S4 screen?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I think you should go and read the GSMARENA comparison a couple more times. The reviewer is not pulling feathers from his behind and neither is he snorting anything, he has factually backed up his statement with valid data.

Just because you don't agree with the facts doesn't mean you get to disrespect the reviewer by making such snark comments.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

If he is saying that ANY AMOLED screen is great in sunlight, then he needs to find another profession. Either that, or he is the world's biggest fanboy! No valid data exists to make that a factual statement.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My S4 is not great in Direct Sunlight but it's usable. I rarely use my phone in direct sunlight but I realize others do. It's easy enough to pick a different phone if that aspect is critical.

Sony XTZ

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
What facts?

7u9y7e3a.jpg

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

From CNet:

"Contrast ratio is the difference between the brightest image a display can create and the darkest."

" The HTC One's 500 nits of light output is its greatest advantage over the GS4, which can't quite reach 300. That means it will produce better picture quality and be more legible in very bright lighting like sunlight or direct indoor light."-------Your chart has the HTC One rated way below the S4. As I stated, contrast ratio on your chart, not visibility.

Source: Screens test: HTC One vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 | Smartphones - CNET Reviews

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
"The Galaxy S4 uses one innovative approach to overcome this ? when Automatic Brightness is turned on, the Peak Brightness becomes significantly brighter in high ambient lighting than is possible with Manual Brightness, up to as high as 475 cd/m2, which is 34 percent higher than is possible with manual brightness"

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

P.S I posted the sunlight legibility scores, in which thr S4 does better than the G2.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't of said it better myself!

What I bolded is how I feel myself. I actually think that while the HTC one's screen does look sharp, it also looks too washed out....TO ME! I like vivid and vibrant colors so I prefer Amoled screens!

And I prefer the HTC One's screen because the color white is .... wait for it... WHITE!!! Unlike the S4 screen where the color white ...doesn't look white!

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't necessarily see what people are saying about how the S4s white is blue (if I'm understanding it correctly?). My screen at full brightness is as white as white can ever be.
IMO the S4s AMOLED display is definitely the best looking display I've used ever (or, at the very least, in a very long time). It's spectacular to say the least. What I like the most are the true blacks the display provides...

Posted via Android Central App

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Website reviewers as well as ordinary users are saying the S4 is ''bad'' compared to other flagship like One,Z1 and G2.
Why are they so much against the samoled screen while it was praised on the S2 and S3?

To me, LED is far superior to LCD. Period. The GS4's screen is simply gorgeous.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't necessarily see what people are saying about how the S4s white is blue (if I'm understanding it correctly?). My screen at full brightness is as white as white can ever be.
IMO the S4s AMOLED display is definitely the best looking display I've used ever (or, at the very least, in a very long time). It's spectacular to say the least. What I like the most are the true blacks the display provides...

I think they mean its a bluish tint

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just turned my SGH-I1337 (AT&T)'s brightness all the way up and set it to a white background. I didn't notice a bluish tint but I noticed a stellar white. Now, I'm more partial to "cool" displays than I am to "warm" ones so perhaps my brain is filtering it out as simply beautiful. One can't help but notice the deep abyss of the blacks. They simply couldn't be any better, and that's an achievement. The only thing I could wish for is more brightness in direct sunlight, but that is truly the scenario I find myself in least when using my phone. ...and it's not as if the phone is unusable in direct sunlight it's just that it could be brighter.

Overall, I'm fond of the S4. It's a great phone and I think Samsung made many of the right compromises in its creation.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
From CNet:

"Contrast ratio is the difference between the brightest image a display can create and the darkest."

" The HTC One's 500 nits of light output is its greatest advantage over the GS4, which can't quite reach 300. That means it will produce better picture quality and be more legible in very bright lighting like sunlight or direct indoor light."-------Your chart has the HTC One rated way below the S4. As I stated, contrast ratio on your chart, not visibility.

Source: Screens test: HTC One vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 | Smartphones - CNET Reviews

I'm not trying to get involved in an argument, and you can show me any data you want, but that won't change the fact that if I'm outside on a bright sunny day that my screen is REALLY hard to see. Granted, I generally keep my brightness set very low, and if I crank it up, then yes, it's a bit easier to see, but when I look at my friend's iPhone in the same conditions, it is much more visible.

Now, I'd never trade my S4 for an iPhone, I don't really use the phone outdoors that much, and I love the S4 screen...but none the less I definitely notice that it is hard to see when I'm outside in sunny conditions.

I think they mean its a bluish tint

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

If you were to look at two devices side-by-side (like an S4 and an iPhone), would probably see what folks here are talking about. The "whites" on an S4 screen definitely have a bit of a bluish tint compared to true white.

Frankly, it's doesn't bother me in the slightest...in fact, I think it's actually a bit easier on the eyes.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is still the case but does Apple still only let the user sync to ONE computer to install their music and other various media through i-tunes?? Like if my brother wanted a song that I have, he has to take it with him via flash drive and install in his PC/Mac in order to put it through i-tunes and install into his iphone 5?? I know he CAN use another PC/Mac.....BUT he would lose everything that is in his iphone and that new PC/Mac becomes his main installer. Really ridiculous, lol! Now THAT would annoy the hell out of me!! I hope Apple has changed that. Dealing with a screen that isn't too bright in sunlight is a piece of cake next to that!! This is all IMO of course.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz