I just bought a Galaxy S4 and I've perused through the menus trying to find several things. Please help.

1. I don't want to see any of my contact pictures....ever. In the contact list, when I make a call, or when a call comes in. How do I turn all of that off?

2. Is there a master "mute" control like the little switch on the side of an iPhone?

3. For the life of me I can't find out where to access my voicemail. Maybe it's not obvious because it's not set up yet. I went to Phone > then the lower left button which looks like a roll of film. It looks like it's a placing a call when I do that. Can you point me in the right direction to set up my voicemail outgoing message and how to access my messages?

Thank you,
    09-17-2013 02:30 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!

1. If your contacts were synced over from your Google Contacts, the contact photos from Google Contacts were also attached. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to globally remove photos or prevent them from being shown. You can edit individual contacts and remove photos by tapping on the photo in the edit screen.

2. Android phones generally don't have a physical mute button. It's typically easy enough to mute the phone using the software interface. There might be an option on the lockscreen; otherwise, if you press and hold the power button, you typically get a menu that includes mute or vibrate only options. There are certainly many widgets you can install from Google Play that can give you an option to mute the whole phone with a single press of a widget.

3. I can't remember what #3 is. Let me post this first and then look at your original post again! Oh yes, the voicemail question. Open your Phone app, press the menu button, then Settings, then Voicemail. There should be options there to set it up.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-17-2013 02:56 PM
    #2. Tap vol- button all the way, it will first hit "vibrate" mode, then "silent" mode.

#3. It depends on your carrier most likely, and yes, you probably have to set it up first. I highly recommend setting up Google Voice for voicemail.
    09-17-2013 03:51 PM
    #1. Well some of my contacts have photos and the rest have the generic greyed out bust where the photo would go. I don't want to see anything...photo...or bust icon. Can't I just display the list showing names only?

#2. Cool thanks.

#3. Where is the option, functionality to start the set up process?

Thanks again,
    09-17-2013 04:46 PM
    Open your Phone app, press the menu button, then Settings, then Voicemail. There should be options there to set it up.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-17-2013 07:26 PM
    So no way to remove the avator thumbnails in my contact list huh?

And my voicemail is set up it seems, but it's all audio (like an office land line). Is there a way to display the individual voice mail messages, select them, rewind them, and delete them (kind of like the way emails are displayed)?
    09-18-2013 02:57 PM
    Try Google Voice. I think it gives you that kind of interface, as well as transcribed messages.
    09-18-2013 03:29 PM