After extended GS4 test drive, I'm going back to Apple for good. Here's why.

dch176

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
After approximately four months with the GS4 on Verizon, I'll be picking up an iPhone 5s on Friday (fingers crossed that I can even find one). I've dabbled in Android for the very last time and consider it to be the clearly inferior platform. Here's why:

1. The thing I do most on my phone is text friends and family, with most everything else being a distant second. iMessage on iOS has such a huge advantage over the basic SMS texting available on Android that it isn't even funny, especially when you're sending pictures or video which I frequently do. Add to that the effortless synching of iMessages across the entire Apple ecosystem (from Mac to iPhone to iPad, etc.), and Android simply can't compete. Plus, when you get right down to it, I hardly know anyone who doesn't have an iPhone so everyone uses iMessage.

2. The thing I do second most on my phone is listen to music. Again, Apple has a huge advantage over Android in that Apple invented the iPod and continues to produce the best music player by a wide margin. Nothing I've tried on Android (and I've tried ALL the 3rd party music apps) comes close. From displaying album artwork to displaying alerts during music playback (especially in the lock screen mode) to synching everything effortlessly with iTunes - the iPhone continues to be the leader for music lovers IMO.

3. The thing I do third most is use social media apps and various other sports/news apps. Almost to an app, the iOS version is better in that it crashes far less, is more fluid and intuitive, and almost always uploads superior pictures, despite the pictures taken by the GS4 being huge and vibrant. I have no idea why that last gripe is the way it is, but that's simply been my experience.

4. Yes, the screen size of the iPhone leaves a lot to be desired. There's no avoiding that. However, the large size of the GS4's screen is really hampered by almost zero visibility in sunlight and poor touch responsiveness when compared to the iPhone. Unless you can palm a basketball, you'll probably need to use two hands on the GS4 and other giant Android phones. However, if you don't touch what you want exactly spot-on (with the phone braced with one hand and your free hand doing the selecting), the screen simply isn't as responsive and accurate to the touch as the iPhone. Don't even get me started on the poor screen sensitivity's effect on text entry and lousy auto-correct and auto-prediction...

5. Lastly, there is no equivalent of the Find My Friends app on Android. When you have family, friends, children, and others all scattered around, it is an absolutely invaluable tool for when you need to keep tabs on someone, like during car/air/train travel, at sporting events/concerts and other large gatherings of people, or just on the commute home. Again, Android can't compete. Although the Google Latitude app existed briefly, if you enabled location reporting so that the app functioned like FMF, the phone's battery would be dead before you set it down.

There are definitely things about the Android that are great and that I will miss. Full-featured Google Search (and accompanying widget) are great, as are Google Maps, the GMail App, snappy camera, and fully customizable user interface via 3rd party launchers. However, for what I use a phone for most, Android is still playing catch-up and probably always will be.

The analogy I'd use here is this - iOS/Apple : Android/Samsung/HTC :: Ferrari : Hennessey Motorsports. Yes, the super-tuned Hennessey sports car (take your pick of which one) can match the performance of and typically exceed that of a Ferrari on the racetrack. However, the Ferrari can't be touched in terms of overall taste, fit, finish, and class.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Be prepared for the angry mobs! Lol.

And its Syncing not synching :D

But enjoy your iPhone. They are both great devices.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
#5 always makes me freaked out that people need that... That's like stalker ish. Kids I could understand but the rest of your family? Eh... I don't need to know where my parents are 24/7...That's why I live on my own lol.

Either way enjoy your iPhone. I have many friends on them and they love it.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
My friend loves her iphone5. I love my android.. I won't bash u for going back to iPhone, hope your happy w it.. My experience has been different..

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Keep it moving folks! Nothing to see here! Just another user who realized one device is better suited for him than the other!

.....lol!! :D

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
1. You could use hangouts it is imo the closest thing to imessage for android but if most of your friends are in the Apple ecosystem then there isn't much you can do. This isn't so much an Android shortcoming.

2. Play Music does most of those things but it does require uploading your music from a normal pc/mac first.

3. This I can agree with.

4. I have never experienced this issue but maybe it comes down to the difference between the GPE S4 and the standard S4.

5. Google+ now has the ability to find your friends. Again though this requires your friends be invested in the Google ecosystem. If most are with Apple then you are out of luck. But again this isn't really android's fault.

Bottom line it sounds like the Apple Ecosystem just works better for your particular needs.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
All valid points, and it sounds like for you, the iPhone is better. I'm not always sure these types of threads are necessary, since they'll just draw the usual defensive comments, but you're entitled to your opinion and choice.

Sent you took the time to post them, here are my comments on your points:

1. iMessage is great, no argument there. My situation is pretty much opposite of yours, however, in that the majority of my friends and family all have Android devices, so I rarely even use SMS at all, and almost all of my messaging is done through Google Hangouts, which is also much better than standard SMS. While I'm not saying Google Hangouts is better than iMessage (it probably needs to support full SMS integration before anyone can say that), one great thing about it my friends with iPhones can use it...whereas iMessage is locked to iPhones only.

2. Nothing to add. Android does music OK, and it's getting better, but you're right, the iPhone was pretty much built off of the iPod's already great music player abilities.

3. Not sure if I agree with this one...but I don't know what apps you're using.

4. I actually can palm a basketball...so perhaps my opinion here is moot, but I definitely prefer the larger screen. When trying to type on an iPhone, I find it difficult to not press multiple letters at once. Also, did you try swiftkey or any of the other keyboards that are available?

5. I'm not very familiar with this app, so I'm not sure how it works, but there's no way I'd allow my location to be shared...and if other people could find me using their phones without my permission (which I'm not giving) I'd be quite upset. I guess if you have reason to use it, it's great, but definitely not something that I'm interested in.

Anyway, that's cool, you gave it shot, and certainly no one can say that your preference for iPhone is blind.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for the thread, just move on. Complaining about the OP or posting personal attacks / insults will not be tolerated. Thread has been cleaned up.

There will not be another warning.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
and poor touch responsiveness when compared to the iPhone.
I am only going to comment on this portion based on my own experience. I don't know about and Iphone because I don't have one but, I have an IPad Mini and I can tell you that I have no problems with the opening of applications however, when I am on a web page or in the app store and I click on a link or a place that required touch, I most of the time have to touch two or three times such link in order for it to respond. So IO's/apple is not so great after all according to my experience.

JustABro

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I really like the iPhone, iMessage is going to be tough to give up and I've yet to find anything that's half as good as a replacement, I'll miss Apples visual voice mail, its Eco system and iTunes, I'll miss the asy updates like today iOS7 comes out and my iphone4 and ipad now both have it, but I want a bigger screen, 4" today seems small and I want to custom my lock screen and home screen, also some of the features on android phones are pretty slick. Personally I'm getting sick of iPhone and iOS looks and need a change, that's why I'm switching although I REALLY wished Android had a legit iMessage replacement or updates its software as good as Apple does for a cell phone I don't mind it missing the Apple Eco system but the other two will be hard to give up.

Personally I think both systems are great and don't really understand the fanboy thing but there's no doubt Apple has a lot of catching up to do with it ios features but what it does it does it all great and Android has some fining tuning to do like an iMessage worthy rival and figuring out a better way for OS updates.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
No, Apple doesn't have any catching up to do. Their features are fine, and they remain the leader in technology.

I don't think that statement is entirely true. I think both android and ios have catching up to do in area's that are not as good as the other one whatever they are.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It definitely sounds like you would be better off with the iPhone and that's why we have choices. I think your experience may have been better with a different android device but best of luck to you!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I really like the iPhone, iMessage is going to be tough to give up and I've yet to find anything that's half as good as a replacement, I'll miss Apples visual voice mail, its Eco system and iTunes, I'll miss the asy updates like today iOS7 comes out and my iphone4 and ipad now both have it, but I want a bigger screen, 4" today seems small and I want to custom my lock screen and home screen, also some of the features on android phones are pretty slick. Personally I'm getting sick of iPhone and iOS looks and need a change, that's why I'm switching although I REALLY wished Android had a legit iMessage replacement or updates its software as good as Apple does for a cell phone I don't mind it missing the Apple Eco system but the other two will be hard to give up.

Personally I think both systems are great and don't really understand the fanboy thing but there's no doubt Apple has a lot of catching up to do with it ios features but what it does it does it all great and Android has some fining tuning to do like an iMessage worthy rival and figuring out a better way for OS updates.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you use Google Voice for voicemail, it's just as good as iPhone's VVM...(if not better in some respects)

dch176

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for the thread, just move on. Complaining about the OP or posting personal attacks / insults will not be tolerated. Thread has been cleaned up.

There will not be another warning.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Jeez, what'd I miss?! People take this stuff so personally. I was merely sharing my experiences as objectively as possible.

dch176

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

You are right where I was several months ago. I think that if you get an Android, in several months, you'll be right where I am now.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thread has been cleaned up again. Posting in the thread to complain about it is not an appropriate response. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report it.

Further trolling or off-topic nonsense may result in the issuance of infractions and/or the closure of the thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

AndroidTuttons

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
If you have everything else apple and everyone around you does then apple will be a better option for you its all a matter of opinion and functionality for each user.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463