Yes, another post about this. Yes, I've disabled location and GPS and everything I can think of that I've read about. My drain from services is at a whopping 72%. Please advise.
    09-19-2013 01:50 AM
    Yes, another post about this. Yes, I've disabled location and GPS and everything I can think of that I've read about. My drain from services is at a whopping 72%. Please advise.
    Have you disabled "Access location" in the Location section of the Google settings app? Have you checked to see which, if any, Google apps are running in the background?
    09-19-2013 08:29 AM
    First of all, make sure that the 72% is really whopping... What I mean is, is the 72% after a full charge has been depleted or after it dropped to 90% and you happened to check the stats then?

That being said, it's no excuse for Google Services to not break down what it's doing properly. Sure, Google Now and their Location Services (it does, after all, constantly poll for your location to work its magic) is usually the main culprit, BUT there may be other factors.

Here's what worked for me. First go to Settings/Application Manager/All Tab and find Google Services (Or Play Services, can't recall how it is named). Click on it and Uninstall Updates. Reboot. Then, either manually update Google Services if you can find it in the Play Store (some people can't, don't know why) or just try to open something like Google Hangouts and it will immediately ask you to update.

That brought down the consumption rate for that service for me. Sure, it came back after a couple of weeks but rinse and repeat, and it's down to notevenonmylistanymore.
    09-19-2013 09:56 AM
    Why do you feel the need to make "another post about this"? Is it not effective enough to post in one of the numerous threads already created discussing the exact same issue? There's not any brand new information that someone is going to offer you here...it's all been discussed to death in the other threads. If NOTHING works for you, then maybe a factory reset is your best option.
    MrBungle999 likes this.
    09-19-2013 10:03 AM
    Are you using Google Now? Turning that and location services made a huge difference in my battery.

✌SG3/iPad2
    Stephl67 likes this.
    09-19-2013 10:17 AM
    After resetting the phone and disabling google now my drain disappeared.

Hope this helps
    09-19-2013 11:20 AM
    Usually Google Now is the biggest gobbler, and it does vary if you're on the move a lot or if your location cannot be set accurately (i.e. shady location reports from cell towers). In most cases, disabling Google Now gives you about 40% more battery life than without it, especially the first few weeks when it's 'learning' your moves. But some users are reporting Google Services shooting up the consumption chart even with Google Now being turned off. For most (myself included) uninstalling/re-installing Google Services' updates fixed the issue.
    09-19-2013 11:50 AM
    I don't have the S4 but I stubmled upon this thread while searching around about what is causing the battery drain on my Note 2. I am on my 2nd replacement Note 2 (3rd phone if you count the original). The issue didn't start until I received the 2 replacements. I am at a loss. I have the WakeLock app but don't really understand it. All I see is google services eating up my battery. I have uninstalled and disabled just about everything but I should not have to do all of that.

To all of you complaining about your 12+ hour battery life....this is my current situation: https://plus.google.com/photos/10008...P3TlZ3C2JXTnAE
    09-30-2013 04:34 PM
    I'm having the same issue. My battery life has been fantastic since i got the phone in May. Maybe once when I first got it, I had the Maps issue that was draining my battery. I fixed that one, but out of no where the past few days, I've had Google Services draining my battery.

EDIT: I just checked my battery usage. Maybe 10 minutes ago it had Google Services second after my screen. However (and this is weird), now it has says "Phone" as first, with android OS after, then screen, then google services. I'm not sure why the phone popped up way to the top. I haven't called anyone all day.
    09-30-2013 07:24 PM
    I had an update a couple of days ago, and my battery doesn't seem the same anymore. The drain just seems so much faster. Anyone else having this issue?
    10-01-2013 03:53 AM
    I had an update a couple of days ago, and my battery doesn't seem the same anymore. The drain just seems so much faster. Anyone else having this issue?
    Perhaps the update changed some services running in the background. Check your battery usage %s and running apps/services.
    10-01-2013 09:49 AM
    Try uninstalling Google Services' updates. Reboot, and then either manually re-install the updates or let an app like Hangouts (try to open it, it'll do the trick) do it for you.
    10-01-2013 11:44 AM
    The first 2 days I had my phone (2 weeks ago) google services was killing my battery always over 50% of battery drain.

What fixed mine was turning off a few services.
    Go to settings -> accounts -> google -> click on your google account
    I unchecked sync google play movies and sync google play music

This seemed to work for me, I can make a full day now using the phone quite a bit.
    10-01-2013 02:07 PM
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been monitoring it, and the drain seems to come from the screen. When using the screen for anything - movies, games and even just browsing or reading emails - the drain can be up to 30% per hour. I have set it to low brightness. Any ideas? How do I revert back to previous firmware if I need to?
    10-09-2013 09:23 PM
    How do you turn off Google now?
    10-09-2013 11:36 PM
    How do you turn off Google now?
    Apps> Voice Search> Settings
    10-10-2013 04:11 AM
    This is an easy fix

Google settings app> Location > Turn off Location reporting and Turn off Location History.

thank me later
    daddyd302 likes this.
    10-10-2013 05:45 AM
    Apps> Voice Search> Settings
    Ok, got there, but just looks like settings to change how it operates. Do you just go to the account and logout?
    10-10-2013 10:14 AM
    Ok, got there, but just looks like settings to change how it operates. Do you just go to the account and logout?
    No, just turn Google now off.
    10-10-2013 11:51 AM
    Thank you. Most helpful.
    11-15-2013 04:37 PM
    I have found the problem to be Settings->More->Location Services->Wi-Fi & mobile network location.

That setting option is the real battery killer!
    11-15-2013 05:25 PM
    This settings is not an issue. I agree, it helps to stop battery drain but the problem is the bug in Google Play Services (or it is not a bug but Goggle intention) letting use it (net based location service) thousands times per hour(!) (checking your location based on network) - confirmed with WakeLock Detector. This keeps your CPU running most of the time.
    Until Google correct it I also suggest to switch this option off and this way you don't permit Google Play Services for incorrect run. You can leave all other google services, including Google Now, working with location checking switched on (it is still based on GPS, power consumtion is not so big as it checks only a few times per day). Now I have this problem on Note 3 with stock JB 4.3. Having this option switched on on Note 2 all was OK.
    For me it made a big difference - with location based on net on I had avarage drain 4 to 8% per hour (with no special activity). With switched off - up to 2% per hour (depends on usage, no 3D gaming).
    I do not feel any difference - my smartphone is still smart enough.
    For some devices, after swiching it off you have to restart the system, for me it started working just after change.
    Old Stoneface likes this.
    11-18-2013 04:53 PM
    After experiencing very solid battery performance on my LG G2, battery use increased suddenly yesterday, seemingly due to Google Play Services. I had just switched off wifi in the background (when wifi is not available), so my question is whether Google may switch to GPS when wifi is blocked?? Anyway, after switching wifi back on, Google Play Services now seems to be back to normal (3% of battery use last 3 hrs vs. 30% yesterday). Maybe worthwhile checking out.
    11-19-2013 07:50 AM
    Troll! get back under your bridge!
    11-22-2013 07:26 AM