Mysterious switch

Rulleska Singh

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a new Samsung 4. A major upgrade from my blackberry. I haven't downloaded smartswitch, I have changed networks so there is no connection between the 2 phones. However all my data as moved from my blackberry onto the samsung - how is that possible?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi and Welcome to Android Central!! Congrats on the awesome phone...it's good to have you as part of the S4 family.

Do you mean contacts, photos, etc.? One method is to use the Blackberry Desktop Software to copy your data out. If it's phone numbers and address book entries it may not be a bad idea to have your carrier do the transfer for you. I know most carriers in the US have a dohickey that can transfer the data between phones. With your android, copying files, photos, and music can be done in several ways, including connecting via USB and dragging the files to your phone.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Nope, what? You didn't indicate which you were saying "no" to, nor did you indicate what data was synced - contacts, calendar, files...?

- Contacts and certain other data will sync if you have them stored on a cloud account (Google, Outlook/Exchange, Yahoo, iCloud, etc.)
- The dealer can often transfer contacts from one phone to another at the store. Maybe they did this without you noticing
- Your contacts may have been stored on your SIM card, thus will transfer from one device to another if you used the same SIM (you mentioned you changed carriers, so likely this isn't the solution to your question, but may help someone else)
- Your desktop computer, running some app you set up in the past, transferred the data for you if you plugged your new phone in since receiving it
- Files/documents can sync if you use a cloud storage service like DropBox, MS SkyDrive, Google Drive, Box, Amazon, etc.

Other than those 4 or 5 options, I can't think of any other way your data was synced. It didn't transfer by magic, so choose one of the options above.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Nope, what? You didn't indicate which you were saying "no" to, nor did you indicate what data was synced - contacts, calendar, files...?

- Contacts and certain other data will sync if you have them stored on a cloud account (Google, Outlook/Exchange, Yahoo, iCloud, etc.)
- The dealer can often transfer contacts from one phone to another at the store. Maybe they did this without you noticing
- Your contacts may have been stored on your SIM card, thus will transfer from one device to another if you used the same SIM (you mentioned you changed carriers, so likely this isn't the solution to your question, but may help someone else)
- Your desktop computer, running some app you set up in the past, transferred the data for you if you plugged your new phone in since receiving it
- Files/documents can sync if you use a cloud storage service like DropBox, MS SkyDrive, Google Drive, Box, Amazon, etc.

Other than those 4 or 5 options, I can't think of any other way your data was synced. It didn't transfer by magic, so choose one of the options above.

Exactly, so if, for example, you had a Gmail account setup on your BlackBerry, it's possible that your contacts/calendar have all been synced with your gmail account (you may not have even realized this was happening), so when you logon to to Android with that same gmail account, those contacts/calendars are automatically synced to your new device.

I don't know if this is specifically what has happened in this case (OP would need to elaborate), but just an example.