Why did you choose the S4? Would you choose it again?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Why did you personally choose the s4 over other Android phones? And would you recommend it or choose it again if you had to?

I'm asking because I'm still going back and forth on which phone to get (htc one, motor x, or S4.)

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Why did you personally choose the s4 over other Android phones? And would you recommend it or choose it again if you had to?

I'm asking because I'm still going back and forth on which phone to get (htc one, motor x, or S4.)
Coming from Gnex
Quad core
Better radios
Better camera
Removable battery
SD card slot
Developer edition unlocked bootloader
New TouchWiz features

Sent from my Hyperdriven SCH-I545 Dev Edition using Tapatalk 4.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Was coming from the iPhone 5. It was the screen sharpness and size and the camera that did it for me. (And I'll be honest, the purple option played a big part since its my favorite color)

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I was torn between the HTC One and the Galaxy S4.

I finally went with the GS4 because:

Camera; I have small children.
SD card.
Bigger screen.
Removable battery.
TouchWhiz features; I use most of them.
I believe Samsung has better track on updating software.
I was burned by Motorola with my trusty Photon 4G, so I'm not getting another moto device in a long, looooooooong time!
Never owned a Samsung phone before, but I have a Samsung Smart HDTV.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Good question. I chose the S4 because its feature set and performance appeared to be equal or better than the chief competitors and because of its 5" HD screen and the ability to replace the battery and use an SD card. In addition, I'm still waiting for HTC to update my old phone, the Incredible 2, to Ice Cream Sandwich (it's been well over a year since that update was announced as coming); as soon as I activated my S4 it downloaded and updated with the latest Verizon firmware (the apps to SD firmware upgrade), and Android 4.3 is supposed to be coming next month.

emtae001

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
My previous phones were the Galaxy & Galaxy S2. My S2 was in for repairs on two separate occasions for a total of 8 weeks. Once I got it back it started acting up again. I went and got the S4. First day it froze up 3 times and I had to remove the battery to get it back to life. I said enough is enough and returned it for the iphone 5. One month later I sold the iphone and went back to the S4. Why? Well I couldn't see some of the text on the iphone as it was too small and there was no way to make it bigger. Now that I am back I am glad. The S4 has more whistles and bells and to be honest I like that. I like to be able to answer my phone hands free when I need to. I like the camera options. I like to be able to replace the battery with a fully charged one and I like to be able to increase the memory with an SD card instead of having to buy a whole new phone. The iphone to me was a phone, and that was it. The music capabilities were nice but that was about it. Every day at work I tell a couple of my fellow employees one more thing my S4 can do that there iphones can't. And I like that :) Would I get the next Samsung ? So far that answer is yes.

cdepue79

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I was also torn between the HTC One and GS4 and would still probably go with the S4.

The main reasons i wanted the HTC One were for the more sturdy construction and 2 front speakers, but considering I'll put a case on it anyway (although it looks sweet naked) and when i listen to music I use headphones fairly often anyway so those weren't major pros.

Sure the HTC One is a very solid phone, but i love features and options and the GS4 is packed with just that.

13 MP camera, nice since i have kids
Removable battery
Removable SD Card
Built in Pedometer and health app
I use quite a few of the air gestures or motions
And i like the fact that it's made from plastic vs aluminum...just means when i put my case on it won't be as heavy

My only regret is not buying it a few weeks later when the Verizon Edge program was out so I can have the latest and greatest phone every 12 months without shelling out $500+ in one payment

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The camera was big for me. I know, people say they are both great. But, it depends what you're preference is.

HTC one's camera is a lot better in low light, but I wanted a camera that could capture decent indoor pics and be amazing when capture pics of the outdoors. And I personally really enjoy more megapixels.

Also, I like Samsung's interface, and this version of Touchwiz is really great, at least, compared to my GsII.

And of course, it's specs are awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

slim6596

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife chose the S4 for us. If I could, I would change to Motorola for the better reception.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was torn between s4 and one. Chose s4, had it for 6 months, ended up with LG g2. Imo best phone for screen, battery and camera and it does anything any other android can do but faster and smoother. What more can you ask for?

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3, thoroughly enjoyed both, and when my GS3 broke I chose to wait and get the Galaxy S4 over the Xperia Z which was already available and Htc One. Reason?

-FullHD Super AMOLED (love the deep, vivid, eye popping colours of AMOLED)
-SD Card slot (I'm a media junkie, I have tons of music, music vids and movies)
-32GB Internal (Samsung South Africa skipped the 16GB S4 and brought the 32GB)
-Battery (2600mAh,Samsung have been great at this, if not the best in Android since the GS2)
-Octa Core (a whole new powerful CPU compared to my GS3)
-TouchWiz (the sheer amount of functionality in TW from Multiview Multitasking, Multi item clipboards to the S Apps like S Memo which I use a lot!)
-Build (the GS4 is just so compact and slim compared to other 5inch smartphones and offers great ergonomics)
-Updates (Samsung seem to be the best ,S4 even arrived with the latest 4.2.2 out the box at the time)
-Camera (Excellent 13MP Camera, its no PureView beater but its good enough)
-Wolfson DAC (incredible sonic experience!)
-IR Blaster
-The gesture and airview features (some gimmicky some very useful, all fun to use and show off)

The entire package was just perfect for me and I simply cant complain, had this beast since launch day and it has been brilliant!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife chose the S4 for us. If I could, I would change to Motorola for the better reception.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I had many Motorolas in the past, I know what you mean. However, it seems like Samsung upped their game because all the places with little to no signal where I had only one or two bars on my Photon, I get the same reception with my GS4.

Anyway, most of the time I'm in very good coverage areas. So I'm really happy so far.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If I was buying a phone today I would wait and get a Note 3 on Friday the 27th. Barring that, I would choose the 32GB S4 again in a heartbeat, its been a great, issue-free phone for me.

from my Sony XTZ

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
When I got mine neither the One nor the Moto X was on Verizon and I didn't want to wait for my upgrade.

However, I'd have only considered the One if I could get a 64GB version on Verizon, which isn't offered. Even then I might have stuck with the S4 for the camera. I wouldn't consider the Moto X because of lack of storage. My "classic" iPod (it was just called an iPod at the time) and my iPod to car adapter both crapped out at the same time, so the cheapest option for me is to put my music on my phone and get a different adapter for my car. It also lets me cut one of my last ties to Apple and gets rid of another gadget I have to carry around.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I picked up an S4 GPE to replace my Nexus 4. I was tempted to wait for the N5 but I was kind of anxious to get lte and better reception which was more of an issue when I was on T-Mobile at the time. (Now on ATT). I also really like hardware buttons. While I don't love samsungs flipped layout and menu button I like having the extra screen real estate that is usually taken up by software buttons. I liked the idea of the sd card slot, unfortunately that no longer works but to be honest I didn't use it anyway. The big thing though is replaceable batteries. This allows me to keep a phone past the point where the battery becomes tired and worn out. Plus it's nice to have an easy source of emergency power stored up.

rajnet

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I just moved from HTC one and have zero regrets. HTC one has a beautiful design and incredible sound plus I liked the blink feed as well. While S4 is lighter than HTC one and its ergonomics are much better than the HTC one. The S4 screen is unbelievable at 5 inches and the features are unbelievable no comparison with HTC one. HTC is also low on updates while I am constantly getting some form of updates from Samsung. I think S4 I felt actually moving up from HTC one. Hope this helps. So yes I would choose it again.

Posted via Android Central App

cindylee60

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Big screen, but not too big (the Galaxy Note is a little too big for a cell phone IMO), great camera, removable battery.

Yes, I would buy one again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol