Galaxy S4 battery drains

zartre

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Today after I unplugged my S4 from the charger with 100% battery, I left it on the desk and didn't touch it for 3 hours. Then the battery went to 94%!! What happened?! So I checked wakelocks in the Wakelock Detector and found that it is awaken for 40 minutes with 1013 and Google Services the most battery drainer.

Is this normal? How can I fix this? And what's your average usage time? Please help...

Posted via Android Central App

prozacfield

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Disable Google Location reporting in settings, this is what drains your battery.
As for average time i can't tell: some days i am really busy at work and use the phone just on coffee breaks (still having a lot of them lol), so i come home with something like 50%. What actually drains the battery is these coffee breaks: i read news and forums, browse the web etc., but while i just leave the phone in a pocket the battery stays almost the same, dropping maybe 1% in hour. And other days i have nothing better to do than sitting there playing with the phone, then i need to connect it to external battery on my way home as it drops to 20-25% or even less. Each device is different because you may run some stuff that drains the battery faster than mine and vice versa.
About battery drain when idle: one day i fully charged my S4 before i went to sleep just to see how much battery will be eaten overnight. 13%, from 100% to 87% in something like 9 hours. It's OK for me. :)

debsawyer

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I only got 4 hours of battery life. I stream Google music for 2 hours of the 4. I have two additional batteries that I have to change constantly. There has to be a problem because before the last update my battery would last all day and night.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
6% in 3 hours isn't bad... Your phone does a lot in the background depending on how many apps you have installed (social media, email etc.)

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Stuart1980

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
i am currently getting 6 hours from full to empty with only taking two pics in the morning and looking at emails for about 1.5 hours by 2pm it was beeping at me by 3pm its dead took it of charge at 8.30 am this morning will get a screen shot as this is pee'in me off now been the same for last 3 days

Last edited:

Stuart1980

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
i had to charge it twice once for a bit from 3-4 it died at 6 so i put it back on charge at 9.30 i have now stopped google services because that was at the top of the list and my data connection seems to always be talking

dmageer

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a samsung S4 GT_i9500 and when my phone is fully charged I take it out of the charger (obviously) but after 5 minutes my battery power drops to 94% without using the phone and all my active applications are closed. Whats wrong with it? I adjusted my phone so I can save battery power but it doesn't seem to work. My screen takes 64% battery power is that normal?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a samsung S4 GT_i9500 and when my phone is fully charged I take it out of the charger (obviously) but after 5 minutes my battery power drops to 94% without using the phone and all my active applications are closed. Whats wrong with it? I adjusted my phone so I can save battery power but it doesn't seem to work. My screen takes 64% battery power is that normal?

The battery could drop that quickly, depending on things that may be running in the background. You need to provide a lot more info. For example, is wifi or data on, are apps possibly syncing in the background, etc. As to screen taking 64%, all that means is that the screen is responsible for using 64% of whatever amount of charge has been used since you removed the phone from the charger. That may or may not be an unusually large amount, depending on what else has been using the battery since the phone was removed from the charger. For example, my phone is at 83% charge after 17h 9m on battery, with screen accounting for 31% of battery use - but the actual screen on time is only 25m; Device idle is the next big battery user, at 29%, because for most of the 17h the phone was "asleep". All of these battery %s are relative, and depend on what you're doing with the phone and how you have it set up.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Your linked screenshot image isn't showing up in this thread, but I see that it shows you're losing 90% of your battery life to Android OS. There seem to be a lot of people having similar issues with Android OS using battery, but I haven't seen a definite fix. I did see some posts suggesting that you try clearing the data and cache for various Google apps, and/or that updating to the latest version of Google Play Services may fix the issue. You might also try opening the Google Settings app and disabling (unchecking) the box that allows Google apps to access your location whenever they want. Some people also suggest doing a factory reset and/or clearing the cache partition, although I haven't seen anything clearly showing that this will fix the issue.

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Your linked screenshot image isn't showing up in this thread, but I see that it shows you're losing 90% of your battery life to Android OS. There seem to be a lot of people having similar issues with Android OS using battery, but I haven't seen a definite fix. I did see some posts suggesting that you try clearing the data and cache for various Google apps, and/or that updating to the latest version of Google Play Services may fix the issue. You might also try opening the Google Settings app and disabling (unchecking) the box that allows Google apps to access your location whenever they want. Some people also suggest doing a factory reset and/or clearing the cache partition, although I haven't seen anything clearly showing that this will fix the issue.

I seen this the other day and tried all that because it sounded like it would work, but no luck unfortunately. Currently I am at 62% and it has been off the charger for 4h18m. It has been on LTE the whole time, playing stored music for about an hour, some "facebooking", couple of text, one phone call, that's about it (brightness set to auto). Per the active apps, I am running nothing in the background other than the music player and FB. Checked running applications and only those apps that cannot be disabled/restart even if you stop them were running. I did not expect it to drain this much after 4 hours but think I may have a bad battery. I was on the phone with Verizon last night for about 25 minutes last night and it dropped from 66% to 51% while on the phone. I live in a 'fair' LTE area (Phoenix,AZ) but do notice the number of bars always fluctuating. Signal strength most of the time is around -100. Not sure if its the battery, or just drain from the phone struggling with a signal. Phone doesn't get hot, everything else seems to be working normally.