Ordered unlocked S4 from Germany, but the box has sticker that says it's locked to Europe only!!!???

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I ordered an unlocked Galaxy S4 from a German online seller last Friday.

The FedEx tracking showed that it arrived in the US on Tuesday. Then it sat in some warehouse waiting US Customs clearance. It finally cleared customs yesterday morning. The FedEx driver delivered it around 9AM this morning. I saw her basically throwing the package to my front door. It was a good 10-feet throw in the air. :mad: The box has green tape all over it saying that it was opened/inspected by the US Customs. :mad: However, they did not open the phone's box itself. :)

I was ready to open it but noticed a big sticker on the box that said the S4 was locked to Europe only. It supposedly will work only with SIM cards from *ANY* European cell phone carrier. WTF!!!??? I called the seller and he told me to open it and try my AT&T SIM card..... He said that if it wouldn't work, he was happy to refund my money. HOWEVER, he will charge me 10% if I choose to open the box first.

What's worse, he absolutely refused to refund me the original shipping fee(US$20) or pay for the return shipping back to Germany. The cheapest way to ship it back to Germany is via the Post Office, which comes to $37.95 including insurance.

I don't know what to do now.... should I open the box and try it?

Also... will AmEx do anything for me if I dispute the charges?

Thanks!

AndroidTuttons

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just refund it and return shipping is usually your responsibility and is the one thing you normally can't get your money back from

Posted via Android Central App

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I decided to open the box and see if the phone will work.

Unfortunately, it didn't work when I put my AT&T SIM card in it. Also tried a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card... still nothing.

I borrowed a co-worker's Vodaphone(UK) SIM card... guess what? it worked fine! :( :( :(

I'm shipping this lousy European-locked S4 back to Germany this afternoon. :mad:

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I decided to open the box and see if the phone will work.

Unfortunately, it didn't work when I put my AT&T SIM card in it. Also tried a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card... still nothing.

I borrowed a co-worker's Vodaphone(UK) SIM card... guess what? it worked fine! :( :( :(

I'm shipping this lousy European-locked S4 back to Germany this afternoon. :mad:

What you said goes against the info Android Central got from Samsung. Please read here:
[Update: Clarified] Samsung Has Begun SIM Locking Its Phones Across The World To Home Regions, Putting The Squeeze On Phone Importers?

It seems that we have to use a SIM card from the region where we bought it the first time we use the phone from or it will lock itself up. But if we do the lock disapears forever and the phone is ready to be used with SIMs from other regions.
I bought a Galaxy S4 a month ago and it came with the same message on the box sticker.

Last edited: