10-09-2013 03:53 PM
41 12
tools
    Please help me how to restore to a new galaxy s4 from an old s4. is it possible?
    09-27-2013 03:25 PM
    it should be possible if you performed a Nova backup. make sure the com.teslacoilsw.launcher folder is on the SD card in your new S4. then simply select Restore from Nova menu and pick the restore file. on a side note - i make a copy of this Restore folder and use Astro to send it to my Dropbox account for safekeeping in the cloud just in case my local SD copy gets destroyed.
    09-27-2013 03:30 PM
    NOVA backups up to the internal ram, not the external SD card. You need to make sure that you find the file, and then copy it manually to your SD card. Then, you'll have to copy to the right subdirectory on the new unit.
    09-27-2013 04:04 PM
    sorry i dont really get it. do i have to put back the sd card to the old phone? then put it to the new one to restore back up? i tried backing up then restore in the old phone and its working but to the new phone its not.
    note: the sd card is now on the new phone.
    09-27-2013 04:18 PM
    it should be possible if you performed a Nova backup. make sure the com.teslacoilsw.launcher folder is on the SD card in your new S4. then simply select Restore from Nova menu and pick the restore file. on a side note - i make a copy of this Restore folder and use Astro to send it to my Dropbox account for safekeeping in the cloud just in case my local SD copy gets destroyed.
    i see the com.teslacoilsw when i click restore, it stuck on the BACKUPS screen.
    09-27-2013 04:31 PM
    i see the com.teslacoilsw when i click restore, it stuck on the BACKUPS screen.
    1. Backup Nova settings of old S4 onto old SD card.
    2. insert old SD Card into your new S4.
    3. do a Restore from old SD Card to your new S4.
    09-27-2013 04:38 PM
    1. Backup Nova settings of old S4 onto old SD card.
    2. insert old SD Card into your new S4.
    3. do a Restore from old SD Card to your new S4.
    this is exactly what i did, but it stuck in the BACKUPS screen with blue line
    09-27-2013 04:46 PM

Sent from my *RED* Galaxy S4
    09-27-2013 04:50 PM
    this is exactly what i did, but it stuck in the BACKUPS screen with blue line
    you should be able to click on "Restore" and it will show you a Restore Point File listed like "2013-09-27-19-9". click on that and you should be good to go!
    09-27-2013 04:54 PM

09-27-2013 04:56 PM
    you should be able to click on "Restore" and it will show you a Restore Point File listed like "2013-09-27-19-9". click on that and you should be good to go!
    yes i click restore but nothing like "2013... i saw that when i back up the file on the old phone. the problem is when i click restore in the new phone it doesnt show.
    09-27-2013 04:57 PM
    http://ieqa.jpg

ok what that tells me (Blank space under Backups) is that there is no Backup Folder/File on that SD Card. you need to do a Nova Backup onto that SD card first! try again. if there was a Backup Folder/File on that SD Card you would see "2013-XXX-XXX-XXX" listed there.
    09-27-2013 04:59 PM

I did a lot since 3pm. But when i restore on new phone nothing comes up.

09-27-2013 05:02 PM
    Or move the backup to that File Location under sdcard/data/......
    That is your internal sd card not the removable one. Once you move the backup to that location it will show up in the backup list.

Sdcard=internal non removable
    Extsdcard=removable card

Posted via Android Central App
    09-27-2013 05:03 PM

I did a lot since 3pm. But when i restore on new phone nothing comes up.

there you go! now click on one of those puppies and it should Restore!
    09-27-2013 05:04 PM
    Or move the backup to that File Location under sdcard/data/......
    That is your internal sd card not the removable one. Once you move the backup to that location it will show up in the backup list.

how can i move to removable card?
    09-27-2013 05:05 PM
    Sadly, that is not backed up to your SD card. Android phones called internal RAM "SD Card." Back in the Gingerbread days, when most Android phones had SD card slots, they system made reference to INT-SD and EXT-SD. INT-SD was just the phones internal RAM but the code was designed to write to it in the same way you could write to an SD card.

Nova backs-up to INT-SD. So, deceptively, it tells you the backup is in the SD card but it is not. It is on your old phones internal SD (that is, RAM).

The reason it is doing nothing now is because the new phone does not have a backup file in that location.
    09-27-2013 05:05 PM
    there you go! now click on one of those puppies and it should Restore!
    no, thats on the old phone not the new one.
    09-27-2013 05:06 PM
    You have to do that manually. You could attach it to your computer, and use WIndows explorer, or you can use what ever file utility you prefer on your phone.
    09-27-2013 05:06 PM
    Sadly, that is not backed up to your SD card. Android phones called internal RAM "SD Card." Back in the Gingerbread days, when most Android phones had SD card slots, they system made reference to INT-SD and EXT-SD. INT-SD was just the phones internal RAM but the code was designed to write to it in the same way you could write to an SD card.

Nova backs-up to INT-SD. So, deceptively, it tells you the backup is in the SD card but it is not. It is on your old phones internal SD (that is, RAM).

The reason it is doing nothing now is because the new phone does not have a backup file in that location.
    if that's truly the case she should be able to use ASTRO and Copy the entire "com.teslacoilsw" Folder to the SD Card.
    09-27-2013 05:08 PM
    You have to do that manually. You could attach it to your computer, and use WIndows explorer, or you can use what ever file utility you prefer on your phone.
    can you help me how? i really dont know how to do it. im using mac.
    09-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Use a Fiile Explorer, copy backup from Extsdcard, navigate to storage/emulated/0/data/com.teslacoil.... /backup.
    Should be something like that and paste the backup in there.

Edit.: put Extsdcard in old phone, navigate with file Explorer to the above location, copy backup. Navigate to Extsdcard and paste somewhere.
    Put Extsdcard in new phone open file Explorer copy backup on Extsdcard, navigate to the above location and paste.
    No Mac necessary.
    I really hope this helps.

09-27-2013 05:09 PM
    Use a Fiile Explorer, copy backup from Extsdcard, navigate to storage/emulated/0/data/com.teslacoil.... /backup.
    Should be something like that and paste the backup in there.

Edit.: put Extsdcard in old phone, navigate with file Explorer to the above location, copy backup. Navigate to Extsdcard and paste somewhere.
    Put Extsdcard in new phone open file Explorer copy backup on Extsdcard, navigate to the above location and paste.
    No Mac necessary.
    I really hope this helps.

im sorry i got it! lol thanks.. i went to my files copy the back up and paste. and i see that its already in the device storage. but still i cannot come up to the restore in nova settings.
    09-27-2013 05:36 PM
    In all honesty, the easiest thing to do will be to find a Windows computer and do it from there.

But, failing that, you will need to download a file explorer of some kind.

Doesn't the phone have a built in explorer that samsung provides? I have never used it myself.

BTW, it is absolutely ridiculous that you have to go through this. NOVA should just have a built-in option to write the backup to an external card. What the heck use is a backup if it is on the phone? That is like backing up your computer's hard drive and storing the backup on the hard drive itself!
    09-27-2013 06:04 PM
    i would like to see a Cloud option. "Backup/Restore NOVA Settings to/from your Dropbox/Google Drive Account". i will suggest this to Developer!
    HPferoxCraft likes this.
    09-27-2013 06:10 PM
41 12