My S4 acting weird and draining battery super quick.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Over the last 2 days my S4 has really been acting up. I cannot find any reason why as I have not changed a single thing on it.

so here is he issue(s)

For starters, my battery is draining really fast but cannot find out why, Google Services has been at around 72% of battery used.

Also, another issue is me holding the home button to close or change app. When I hold the home button it says "no recent apps" when clearly there are. so I hold it again and they all reappear. sometimes when I do close the app by sliding it to the side it sort of pushes the others that are open downwards really hard and fast instead of the normal sliding down to the next one and like I said sometimes they just aren't there as if I haven't launched anything. (I hope that makes)

so take a look at the pictures below and tell me what you think.

Last edited:

BKKunz

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: My S4 acting weird and daring battery super quick.

Same here. I usually get 3 days of battery life and all of a sudden I got 6 hours. Google Services did a number on my phone.
This phone is my backup and I hardly ever use it and that's the reason I get 3 days or more of battery life.
My work phone is an iPhone 5 and I haven't had any issues with it.
Hopefully an update will fix some of these issues. It's a fabulous device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Google Services can be a number of things. Do you have Location Services turned on or off (the mobile data/wifi option for Location Services will show up as Google Services under Battery in Settings)? What are you doing to control syncing of Google apps? Have you turned off "Access my location" for Google apps?

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Google Services can be a number of things. Do you have Location Services turned on or off (the mobile data/wifi option for Location Services will show up as Google Services under Battery in Settings)? What are you doing to control syncing of Google apps? Have you turned off "Access my location" for Google apps?

Yes I have turned location settings off. Even in Google maps I have reinstalled the updates and cleared cache and turned the location seems of there as well. I have no idea what's happening.

Restarted it several times and nothing.

my shiney new S4

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Yes I have turned location settings off. Even in Google maps I have reinstalled the updates and cleared cache and turned the location seems of there as well. I have no idea what's happening.

Restarted it several times and nothing.

my shiney new S4

Have you used the Google settings app to turn off access location for all Google apps? Have you ever used Google Now; if so, are you sure it's off?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

jmosher2

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I began having the same battery drain issue two days ago - the battery went from 84% to 22% in about 3 hours with it sitting idle. I finally rolled back Google Play Services to the factory default and now the battery drain issue seems to have been fixed! At least for now.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Google Play services seems to be acting funky lately...the Play store itself was down for several hours last night.

My advice, clear the data from Google Play Services* and then reboot your phone. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling updates from Google Play Services.

*Go to "Options" --> "More" (tab) --> "Application Manager" --> swipe right to get to "all", then scroll down to "Google Play Services"

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear, Google really have messed up this time, this seems to be a huge issue with many Androids.

Okay, here's what you should do:

Go to Settings -More tab -Location Services -uncheck WiFi & Mobile network location. Restart the phone afterwards if you want and the just keep an eye on the battery life.

Hope that helps. :)

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for your input - I did all of the above - Cleared data on Google services - turned location settings off and the on - I did the same in Google now and in Maps. I uninstalled maps then reinstalled it.

Took a few hours to notice it but everything went back to normal and wakelocks started kicking in.

Google really need to sort this out.

Many thanks guys.